PDA

View Full Version : UFO hunter dies at 72

kucharek
2005-Jun-10, 04:15 AM
Ed Bishop, an actor best know for his role as the commander of SHADO in the U.F.O. series (http://www.ufoseries.com) yesterday died at 72.
He also had a little role as commander of the moon shuttle in '2001'.

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=2490&catid=3

Coincidentally, two days before, another actor, playing another lead character in U.F.O., Michael Billington, who played Col. Paul Foster, dies at 63. Do I smell a conspiracy?

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Jun-10, 05:39 AM
Bummer. I loved that show when I was younger. I still like the theme music.

Jpax2003
2005-Jun-10, 05:45 AM
Did they ever have crop circles in Green Acres? Just wondering if there is a old paranormal TV trifecta. Was Ann Bancroft in any shows like this?

DroneFour
2005-Jun-10, 08:04 AM
Great link kucharek, it brings back a lot of memories.
My U.F.O. lunch box was my favorite of all time.
To this day, I have this thing about women in purple metallic wigs. Sigh...

eburacum45
2005-Jun-10, 08:09 AM
I made up a game on paper, using cardboard counters, based around that show; trouble was, when you actually played it, the UFO's won every time.
Tricky things, games...

kucharek
2005-Jun-10, 09:04 AM
I was seven years old when it aired in German tv. It ran at nine o'clock in the evening and luckily, it was on the day of the week when my parents always went for bowling. Our babysitter let us view it. ;-) I've to admit, as a kid I always found the Ed Straker character pretty scary (maybe the white wig). More scary than the aliens. I saw it on a b/w tv, just a few years ago I saw a few episodes for the first time in color.

R.A.F.
2005-Jun-10, 12:42 PM
This is sad...especially both deaths occurring so close together.

Commander Straker and Colonel Foster...Rest in Peace.

publiusr
2005-Jun-10, 10:14 PM
RIP

Van Rijn
2005-Jun-10, 10:42 PM
Too bad. I liked UFO a lot more than Space: 1999 - it helped that I was younger when I saw UFO, and the feel of the show was different. It wouldn't win any awards for realism, but they did a great job of projecting a sense of strangeness and wonder.

How many here have played Xcom? That game captured the feel of this show - secret bases, a hidden war with aliens, going on mission to capture or destroy aliens, eerie sound effects, etc.