PDA

View Full Version : An astronomers dream

mickal555
2005-Jun-10, 03:51 PM
I just found THE KEY to it all!!! I live in a town house complex of about 50 units, I usually catch the bus at the top of the hill when I come home from school, and enter the side gate.

Something however possezed me today and I bravely left the bus at the bottom of the hill(thinking about checking my mail and then walk up the rest of the complex to my house).

As I checked my mail a sudden thought struck me- what if I found out how to turn off all the streetlights in the complex....

This was not a new thought but I felt in the mood to do a little hunting...

I first stopped off by the pool.

I checked the power grid box and there it was- Pool heating} N1 N2..... ?? {Streetlights}- and a switch.

It was daylight so I decided to try late at night so I left and went up to my house.

I babbled a bit, and had pizza coke and cockolat while watching A super sighnfeild marathon weekend.

At about 1:47am, I decided it was time to strike, grabbing my gloves and towel, I headed out.

It was so simple! flick! instant darkness!! It's still cloudy but if it clears up I can drag my scope out into the street, missing those horrible tree's that mess up my Northan sky, I can also try-out my new eyepieces (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=22252)!

Candy
2005-Jun-10, 03:55 PM
It was so simple! flick! instant darkness!!
Something tells me we won't be seeing mickal around for a while after his dad gets word of this. :wink:

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jun-10, 04:01 PM
It was so simple! flick! instant darkness!!
Something tells me we won't be seeing mickal around for a while after his dad gets word of this. :wink:
You don't understand. If Carolina had a switch, I'd flick it too. Who'd miss it at 2am?

mickal555
2005-Jun-10, 04:04 PM
My dad's not astronomy inclinned.... but his idea is to throw a blanket over the light while dangling from a ladder in somebodygarden.....

Candy
2005-Jun-10, 04:05 PM
You don't understand. If Carolina had a switch, I'd flick it too. Who'd miss it at 2am?
My life revolves around 8pm-noon. I'd notice. 8-[

[edited]

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Jun-10, 10:42 PM
What's with the towel?

tmosher
2005-Jun-10, 11:47 PM
My life revolves around 8pm-noon. I'd notice. 8-[

[edited]

Yes but you don't know how sweet a normally light polluted sky looks when all the lights go out.

I loved it when we had a power outage in Tulsa a few years back. I had my telescope out so fast it would make your head spin.

2005-Jun-11, 12:11 AM
mickal555 maybe people are less litigious where you live, but have you considered what troubles you and your family may reap if someone has an auto accident on a street that you've darkened, and they find out you were the cause?

Or, even if they don't find out, how you would feel?

Candy
2005-Jun-11, 01:38 AM
What's with the towel?
To not leave any DNA behind? 8-[

mickal555
2005-Jun-11, 02:56 AM
mickal555 maybe people are less litigious where you live, but have you considered what troubles you and your family may reap if someone has an auto accident on a street that you've darkened, and they find out you were the cause?

Or, even if they don't find out, how you would feel?

It's a very sleepy street, I wouldn't turn them off early, and the speed limit in the somplex is 5km/h. I've never actually heard of someone dying in a car crash because of dark streets- someone could get hit, though.

hippietrekx
2005-Jun-11, 03:54 AM
No, an astronomer's dream is living in a small town (pop. 2,000) where, even on the nights when the neighbor's security light is on, you can put the telescope in the shadow of the shed and see almost anything you want.

Or you just have an Uncle Jimmy who lives 7 minutes away in the dark, dark country of Michigan (by dark, dark country, I of course mean soybean fields :) ) who will gladly turn off his flood light for his niece, if he gets to look into the eyepiece.

And then he asked why it was called the "Wild Duck Cluster" because it didn't look at all like a duck #-o

Yes, I am talking about my self. Eat your heart out, mickal!

--htx

tmosher
2005-Jun-11, 04:08 AM
No, an astronomer's dream is living in a small town (pop. 2,000) where, even on the nights when the neighbor's security light is on, you can put the telescope in the shadow of the shed and see almost anything you want.

Or you just have an Uncle Jimmy who lives 7 minutes away in the dark, dark country of Michigan (by dark, dark country, I of course mean soybean fields :) ) who will gladly turn off his flood light for his niece, if he gets to look into the eyepiece.

And then he asked why it was called the "Wild Duck Cluster" because it didn't look at all like a duck #-o

Yes, I am talking about my self. Eat your heart out, mickal!

--htx

Stop bragging.

I've got to deal with this:

Dallas Light Pollution Map (http://cleardarksky.com/lp/Dallaslp.html)

...and soon this:

Savannah Light Pollution Map (http://cleardarksky.com/lp/Savannahlp.html)

paulie jay
2005-Jun-11, 05:42 AM

snip
Bah - that's what headlights are for! Half of the streetlights around my way don't even work anyway...

hippietrekx
2005-Jun-12, 04:34 AM
Tmosher, at least when you have enough money for a color-filter lens, you don't have to drive 75 miles to the nearest hobby shop that deals with telescopes... #-o

Living in the sticks does have its disadvantages. Darkness just makes up for it.

I still can't find a decent store around here that deals with astronomy books. Unless you count the magazine section at Wal*Mart... :(

--htx

tmosher
2005-Jun-12, 05:29 AM
Tmosher, at least when you have enough money for a color-filter lens, you don't have to drive 75 miles to the nearest hobby shop that deals with telescopes... #-o

Living in the sticks does have its disadvantages. Darkness just makes up for it.

I still can't find a decent store around here that deals with astronomy books. Unless you count the magazine section at Wal*Mart... :(

--htx

Dallas is the first city I've lived in that actually had a telescope store (The Observatory). Tulsa doesn't t have squat for equipment unless you consider the relatively thin stocks at one camera store and Wolf Camera. That's why I bought my Celestar 8 and the Vixen eyepieces mail order or used astromart.com

I'll be living in Savannah, GA in a week - nearest Celestron dealer is in Atlanta.

As for astronomy books, I usually hit the Half-Price Books here in Dallas. I managed to find a couple of decent astronomy books there - now I wish I could find a couple more of the older astronomy books I started to collect - so far I have one from the 1930's and another from the early 1950's.

mickal555
2005-Jun-12, 05:45 AM

--htx

I don't live in the sticks I live in the suburb's- the nearest Astronomy shop is still 100km away though. (about 1 1/3 hr's drive)