PDA

View Full Version : Whither the weather reports?

sarongsong
2005-Jun-11, 05:04 AM
June 8, 2005 (http://www.nbaa.org/@@RAIIAu29NgEC/)
"...National Business Aviation Association (NBAA)...recently joined National Air Transportation Association (NATA)...in sending a letter expressing strong opposition to pending Senate legislation that would prohibit the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the National Weather Service (NWS) from providing weather reports, forecasting and data collection services free of charge to the public...if the services are offered by a private company..."

June 10, 2005 (http://www.thelog.com/news/newsview.asp?c=161146)
"...Boaters no longer would have access to free weather service reports if a bill by Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Penn.) is approved...would drastically cut boaters' access to information from the National Weather Service (NWS). It would mean no more weather radio, and no more weather fax - at least not free of charge from the NWS..."

Archer17
2005-Jun-11, 05:07 AM
You need to get a life

sarongsong
2005-Jun-11, 05:38 AM
9 is enough, thank you :D

Archer17
2005-Jun-11, 05:43 AM
9 is enough, thank you :DAin't good enough Allison. I boat in Pittsburgh's rivers .. what you "sell" ain't bought here. First of all, NWS don't mean squat as far as Pittsburgh goes. We have so many hills and valleys that they quit trying. So if you want to use Santorum/NWS .. keep Pittsburgh out of it. heh .. in fact, keep Pennsylvania out of it. :wink:

sarongsong
2005-Jun-11, 06:05 AM
AccuWeather (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/index.asp?partner=accuweather) is based where?

Archer17
2005-Jun-11, 06:10 AM
AccuWeather (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/index.asp?partner=accuweather) is based where?Your point?

sarongsong
2005-Jun-11, 06:12 AM
Follow the (Santorum contributions) money!

tmosher
2005-Jun-11, 06:22 AM
That's an incredibly stupid piece of legislation.

If it passes, I'd have to pay twice for my weather forecasts before I go flying. Once because my taxes support the NOAA and NWS and a second time from a private company.

Archer17
2005-Jun-11, 06:22 AM
Follow the (Santorum contributions) money!Ain't politics against the FAQ Allison? :roll: Like I told you many moons ago .. you don't like this country? - leave.

tmosher
2005-Jun-11, 06:34 AM
Follow the (Santorum contributions) money!Ain't politics against the FAQ Allison? :roll: Like I told you many moons ago .. you don't like this country? - leave.

The point Allison is making is that there is an implied conflict of interest here - Santorum proposing legislation that directly benefits a company that has contributed to his campaign coffers.

Now back to the original topic.

Why should my tax dollars be used to provide free information from the NOAA and NWS to companies that, in turn, charge me for that information? Essentially, Santorum's bill would subsidize those companies to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars or more per year. If the private companies are going to charge for weather forecasts, those companies should pay a fair price to the government for the weather data.

Archer17
2005-Jun-11, 06:48 AM

The point Allison is making is that there is an implied conflict of interest here - Santorum proposing legislation that directly benefits a company that has contributed to his campaign coffers.

Now back to the original topic.

Why should my tax dollars be used to provide free information from the NOAA and NWS to companies that, in turn, charge me for that information? Essentially, Santorum's bill would subsidize those companies to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars or more per year. If the private companies are going to charge for weather forecasts, those companies should pay a fair price to the government for the weather data.You don't have to tell me what point Allison is trying to make, her resume speaks for itself. Spare me Santorum's agenda. First of all it's politics and and shouldn't be discussed here .. second of all, take a long look at the whole thing. That's all I'm gonna say. If you can't read between the lines and have to jump up & down about it, PM Allison. She'd appreciate it. In the mean time, spare me.

sarongsong
2005-Jun-11, 07:00 AM
Critical thought---ain't it grand! =D> =D> =D>

Archer17
2005-Jun-11, 07:04 AM
Critical thought---ain't it grand! =D> =D> =D>At least I speak my mind "Ms Post-a-Link." You ought to try it some day.

sarongsong
2005-Jun-11, 07:09 AM
I, too, used to think the mind was the most beautiful part of the body---until I realized what was telling me that 8)

Archer17
2005-Jun-11, 07:11 AM
I, too, used to think the mind was the most beautiful part of the body---until I realized what was telling me that 8)Then again, maybe you should stick to links. :P

Cylinder
2005-Jun-11, 07:12 AM
First, everyone should read this (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=483508#483508).

This bill very well may be a bone-head idea, I haven't really considered it closely enough. What it isn't though is a NWS or NOAA blackout on forecasts. To quote the actual text of Senate Bill 786 (http://www.nwseo.org/s786.pdf); §2(c)1:

All data, information, guidance, forecasts, and warnings received, collected, created, or prepared by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric administration or the National Weather Service shall, to the maximum extent practicable, be issued in real time, and without delay for internal use, in a manner that ensures that all members of the public have the opportunity for simultaneous and equal access to such data, information, guidance, forecasts, and warnings.

frogesque
2005-Jun-11, 07:52 AM
First, everyone should read this (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=483508#483508).

This bill very well may be a bone-head idea, I haven't really considered it closely enough. What it isn't though is a NWS or NOAA blackout on forecasts. To quote the actual text of Senate Bill 786 (http://www.nwseo.org/s786.pdf); §2(c)1:

All data, information, guidance, forecasts, and warnings received, collected, created, or prepared by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric administration or the National Weather Service shall, to the maximum extent practicable, be issued in real time, and without delay for internal use, in a manner that ensures that all members of the public have the opportunity for simultaneous and equal access to such data, information, guidance, forecasts, and warnings.

So if you want the dog's bones on the weather it's still going to be free and as real time as practicable. If you want to watch a pretty face in a pink tutu pointing to copyright map symbols then you'd have to pay for it. Doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

(Aside: If I want to know what the weather's like I normally stick my head out the door, detailed forecasts in the UK are not that great at local level although trends are pretty reliable)

Cylinder
2005-Jun-11, 08:18 AM
(Aside: If I want to know what the weather's like I normally stick my head out the door, detailed forecasts in the UK are not that great at local levl although trends are pretty reliable)

a) Overcast with no rain.

b) Overcast with light rain.

c) Overcast with heavy rain.

Choose one. :lol:

I was stationed at RAF Lankenheath in E. Anglia during the 90s. I had to use a grow light in my dorm room to get over the blahs.

Archer17
2005-Jun-11, 08:20 AM
Being from Pennsylvania I can tell you that what sarong linked to isn't an issue here and not only because of our topography. I really don't want to argue politics but it bears mentioning that, based on her posts, she's out of touch with reality more often than not. My proof? Her posts. Read 'em and come to your own conclusions.

Cylinder
2005-Jun-11, 08:22 AM
So if you want the dog's bones on the weather it's still going to be free and as real time as practicable. If you want to watch a pretty face in a pink tutu pointing to copyright map symbols then you'd have to pay for it. Doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

Yea. I think the point is to not have the NWS or NOAA to spend a lot of taxpayer time and money polishing their forecasts to compete with broadcast products while still maintaining the public service qualities. I don't know if it's a good idea or bad. I just wanted to point out that it is not a data blockout from either agency.

[Edit] By polished, I meant to say to commercialized. The forecasts should be "polished" in terms of accuracy and the changing nature of atmospheric influences and the conclusions should be presented in as clear a manner as possible to a lay audience.

Cylinder
2005-Jun-11, 09:37 AM
Does this subsection - §2(d) - remind anyone of the plot of the movie Trading Places (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086465/)?

PROHIBITION ON CERTAIN DISCLOSURES.—

An officer, employee, or agent of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the National Weather Service, or any other department or agency of the United States who by reason of that status comes into possession of any weather data, information, guidance, forecast, or warning that might influence or affect the market value of any product, service, commodity, tradable, or business may not—

(1) willfully impart, whether directly or indirectly, such weather data, information, guidance, forecast, or warning, or any part thereof, before the issuance of such weather data, information, guidance, forecast, or warning to the public under subsection (c); or

(2) after the issuance of such weather data, information, guidance, forecast, or warning to the public under subsection (c), willfully impart comments or qualifications on such weather data, information, guidance, forecast, or warning, or any partthereof, to the public, except pursuant to an issuance that complies with that subsection.

For those not familiar, a forecast for the orange crop was used to try to corner "the frozen orange juice market."

[Insert Eddie Murphy laugh here]

Candy
2005-Jun-11, 02:45 PM
I, too, used to think the mind was the most beautiful part of the body---until I realized what was telling me that 8)Then again, maybe you should stick to links. :P
Distract (http://161.58.5.90/shining/distract.wav)

sarongsong
2005-Jun-12, 02:30 AM
Hey, it works just like cable---how conve-e-e-nient!
"...RadarPlus Silver Account (Personal Use)
Monthly (1 license) - $7.95

RadarPlus Gold Account (Personal Use)
Monthly (1 license) - $29.95

RadarPlus Platinum Account (Commercial Use)1
Monthly (1 license) - $129.95..."
https://wwwl.accuweather.com/radarplus_signup.php
Love the special effects, Candy :D

darkhunter
2005-Jun-12, 09:06 AM
(Aside: If I want to know what the weather's like I normally stick my head out the door, detailed forecasts in the UK are not that great at local levl although trends are pretty reliable)

a) Overcast with no rain.

b) Overcast with light rain.

c) Overcast with heavy rain.

Choose one. :lol:

I was stationed at RAF Lankenheath in E. Anglia during the 90s. I had to use a grow light in my dorm room to get over the blahs.

Although sometimes this big, bright yellowthing comes out and the sky turns blue for some reason 8-[ Although the current conditions at the 'heath are currently choice a) at the moment..... :D