PDA

View Full Version : I Appologize

Russ
2005-Jun-12, 05:48 AM
To all of you who were planning to star gaze this weekend or on into the week ahead, I appologize for screwing it up for you. Saturday I bough a new astrometric eye piece for my scope. It's the 12mm with protractor, double reticle and degree bar. Assuming the week/$100 ratio holds true you have 1.27 weeks of bad weather ahead.

Sorry! (runs & hides)

PS - At least I obeyed BABB rules and came here to tell you about it. (runs & hides again)

Minbari
2005-Jun-12, 05:55 AM
Keh? Come again. weather will be fine here

Russ
2005-Jun-12, 06:04 AM

It's already clouded over and raining here. :-?

PS - Where's here? :)

Minbari
2005-Jun-12, 06:07 AM
Queensland, Australia buddy :)

Darn, now I know where you are coming from. Darn shame as I guess your more than keen to get out under a clear night sky.

What do you plan on observing first?

mickal555
2005-Jun-12, 06:26 AM

Funny- seems to be cloudy here....

Minbari
2005-Jun-12, 10:36 AM
Funny I was looking at the moon in my telescope. Duh!

Queensland is a big place mickal555 and it is pretty rare the entire state is covered with cloud LOL

frogesque
2005-Jun-12, 10:54 AM
It's the LCE (local cloud effect). It's caused by the telescope/kit creating a heatsink which causes atmopheric condensation and precipitation. Effects have been known to last for weeks. 8-[

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jun-12, 06:15 PM
Well, it's working here. Urgh! :P

cyswxman
2005-Jun-12, 06:35 PM
Yep, only the 12th, and Cheyenne is in one of its wettest Junes ever. I don't mind that, though! :D

Glom
2005-Jun-12, 08:19 PM
Now go to your room and think about what you've done!

Jorge
2005-Jun-12, 08:35 PM
Clouds or no clouds, there is still to much light... when will other people thing about us!

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Jun-13, 09:14 AM
... Assuming the week/$100 ratio holds true you have 1.27 weeks of bad weather ahead...

At that rate, (http://www.apogeeinc.com/product.asp?itemid=4&catid=31) I've just tacked another 50.4 hours of thick clouds onto the Dayton Astronomical Scene...

...oh, crabapples... #-o

Gillianren
2005-Jun-14, 02:20 AM
well, somebody must've bought a pretty good one up here--and I was outside all weekend, just me, the ren faire, and my arthritis. (ow!)

DoktorGreg
2005-Jun-14, 02:31 AM
Its worse than you think. I upgraded my homemade 10" with a dobb driver, you can count on clouds in SE michigan for the rest of the summer.

hippietrekx
2005-Jun-14, 04:24 AM
Well, Dok, it looks like SE MI is already covered in clouds... at least at night.

Today I dragged out my sun-filter (I bought it when there was those huge sunspots a year or so ago, and also saw the transit of venus with it :D ) for my telescope and looked at sun spots...

They aren't very impressive right now, I'm afraid, but I did get to yell at the cable guys, who blamed the poor reception today on sun spots (yeah... right). I told the people over the phone there was no significant sunspot activity at the moment and that could not possibly be interfering with their reception. They said prove it. I told them send someone over.

You know, that's the fastest I've ever had the cable company come over? It turned out the line that feeds into my house was damaged. Cable guy repaired it (a five minute job). And the cable guy said my sun filter was "neat" when he looked through the lens. I think this was the first time he ever had someone disprove the sun spot claim.

I don't think the cable company will use the tired old sun spot excuse again. That shows them for not being of help (we pay them $40 a month for goodness sake!) when Star Trek: The Next Generation re-runs are on...

That filter comes in handy sometimes... :lol:

--htx

mickal555
2005-Jun-14, 10:40 AM
Thanks for that russ :x

I just found, the streetlight switch!

Russ
2005-Jun-14, 03:47 PM
Queensland, Australia buddy :)

Darn, now I know where you are coming from. Darn shame as I guess your more than keen to get out under a clear night sky.

What do you plan on observing first?

Well, you're half a world away and upsidedown. ;) It'll take a week or so to affect your lot.

I was hoping to get a last glimps of Saturn until fall. I was never good at picking out Titan from the background stars so I though my new eyepiece would help me get the apparent angle right.

Around here it's been clear just about every day and cloudy and/or raining every night. Krikey!

Russ
2005-Jun-14, 03:51 PM
Thanks for that russ :x

I just found, the streetlight switch!

Sorry mate! I'll try not to buy anything for a fortnight or so. ;) That should by fair dinkum. :)

AstroRockHunter
2005-Jun-14, 04:51 PM
Don't feel too baddly, Russ. I bought an AO7 adaptive optics unit for my ST-7 camera earlier this year. I had the ire of the astro community here for about 10 weeks. [-X

gopher65
2005-Jun-14, 05:11 PM
It has been cloudy here for weeks now. I wonder who made a big purchase? Hmmm I think the university was going to buy a new spectrographer (or whatever they are called).

Russ
2005-Jun-15, 08:20 PM
Don't feel too baddly, Russ. I bought an AO7 adaptive optics unit for my ST-7 camera earlier this year. I had the ire of the astro community here for about 10 weeks. [-X

Hey, neat! That aughta be worth being socked in for a couple of months. Come winter you'll be the MAN at the star parties. 8) :D

beskeptical
2005-Jun-16, 06:21 AM
:lol: Got a chuckle out of your post.

Of course, I washed my car today. :evil:

Russ
2005-Jun-16, 05:08 PM
:lol: Got a chuckle out of your post.

Of course, I washed my car today. :evil:

Uuuuuuup, uuuuuup, Beskep has taken the mantle from me. It's all her fault now. :roll: Wheeeeu! :o