PDA

View Full Version : Movie : The Core

Ragnar
2002-Aug-13, 01:52 PM
I recently saw a preview for a movie called "The Core". It's a movie about how the Earth's core has stopped rotating and that it happens about once every 700,000 years (extinction event). Of course this results in all kinds of catastrophies on our planet. Massive radiation, continents freezing. I hope the Bad Astronomer is ready for this one. I would love to know if this is a viable phenomenon. I'd appreciate any comments on this subject.

Valiant Dancer
2002-Aug-13, 02:54 PM
On 2002-08-13 09:52, Ragnar wrote:
I recently saw a preview for a movie called "The Core". It's a movie about how the Earth's core has stopped rotating and that it happens about once every 700,000 years (extinction event). Of course this results in all kinds of catastrophies on our planet. Massive radiation, continents freezing. I hope the Bad Astronomer is ready for this one. I would love to know if this is a viable phenomenon. I'd appreciate any comments on this subject.

As a viable phenomenon, I would call it a belly laugh. In a short story, I made an F-15 run at Mach 5. Possible? Heck no. I understand just enough of fluid mechanics to know that this phenomenon of a repeating type as this is impossible.

The premise is that after years of dumping nuclear waste into the core, it approaches critical mass and stops spinning. Our heroes, a bunch of terranauts, have to go in to fix it. How? By detonating a bunch of nuclear weapons near the core to jump start it. BA may not have that much of a field day with it, but bad physics will abound.

Scoop site

http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/core.html

Website for the movie

http://www.thecoremovie.com/

Slated for release 11/1/2002

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Valiant Dancer on 2002-08-13 11:10 ]</font>

Russ
2002-Aug-13, 04:35 PM
On 2002-08-13 09:52, Ragnar wrote:

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif
I haven't seen the show but from what you say it sounds like the mother load of bad science/geology/physics. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif You mention that the Earth's core stops rotating every 700kyrs. WRT what did it stop rotating, the rest of Earth, space in general? What restarted it in the past? Something with that much inertia would expend HUGE amounts of energy to stop rotating WRT Earth, so that energy has to go somewhere. I don't have time to run the numbers /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif but suspect that at the very least it'd cause all of the volcanos on Earth to go nuts. Probably creat a few new ones.

Starting it rotating again would require equal amounts of energy. We're talking megagigawatts. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Before we came along with our nucs., where does that come from??? Which brings up another BIG PROBLEM, how do you use a nuc to restart the core spinning? I'd think you'd need a vectorred (shoots only in one direction) force rather than a spherical like you'd get from a bomb. This is all especially true considering the amount of energy that it would take to start the core spinning again, how do you do it without blowong HUGE holes in the Earth?
It sounds like the Bad potential of this movie is limitless. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

nebularain
2002-Aug-14, 12:14 AM
Well, you know...action flicks like this are meant to stimulate the adrenaline 'n such, not the brain cells.

Looks like the producers had an action flick idea - going down to the core and exploding some nukes - but they needed a reason to. Hey, let's just say the core of the Earth stops spinning. Yeah, good idea! No one cares about bad science. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. People don't go to the movies for accuracy. Yeah, yeah!
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

xriso
2002-Aug-14, 10:39 AM
Okay, let's try to come up with a place for the angular momentum to go... How about we say that convection currents cause the material below a certain discontinuity in the mantle to suck energy out of the material above it, making it spin faster, and thus the outer part spin slower. This happens slowly at first (so the thin crust is not tossed around into the magma), but eventually the inner core spins quickly enough that it is only capable of absorbing more energy from the outer core, so that the planet surface quickly grinds to a halt. Some years later, the rapidly-spinning core reaches a critical point *hand waving* and the earth is back spinning like normal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xriso on 2002-08-14 06:42 ]</font>

Sarcastronaught
2002-Aug-16, 06:24 AM
http://www.allrandom.com/tmst/nucular.gif

Those are the days...

moving_target
2002-Aug-16, 06:51 AM
hmm...

now i need some horn-rims for my glasses
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Aug-20, 06:01 AM
On 2002-08-13 10:54, Valiant Dancer wrote:
In a short story, I made an F-15 run at Mach 5. Possible? Heck no.

Why not, it's Not like their Wings Snap off somewhere around Mach 3, or Anything.

Hmmmm, on Second Thought ...

Valiant Dancer
2002-Aug-20, 03:21 PM
On 2002-08-20 02:01, ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:

On 2002-08-13 10:54, Valiant Dancer wrote:
In a short story, I made an F-15 run at Mach 5. Possible? Heck no.

Why not, it's Not like their Wings Snap off somewhere around Mach 3, or Anything.

Hmmmm, on Second Thought ...

Besides the engines having insufficient thrust, the wings snapping off is a definate problem. But I was writing a time travel story. The F-15 needed to go Mach 5 to make it through the time vortex before it closed. (My story. My rules. I make em up.) Point being, science fiction is just that. Fiction. In this case bad science.

In the case of The Core, horrible science. The are claiming that it is supposed to be accurate. I never made that claim.