PDA

View Full Version : BABBling reopened

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Jun-26, 07:46 PM
Folks--

Obviously, BABBling is now re-opened.

I've been away off and on for a couple of weeks, but I'm now back. I had closed BABBling for many reasons, one of which was that I knew while I was away I would not be able to keep an eye on it due to other, more pressing needs. I refrained from mentioning this before because I did not want to advertise that I would be gone; this site is having enough trouble with spammers as it is!

I still think that this community needs a place to blow off a little steam and have fun, but I am also strongly of the opinion that BABBling needs to conform to the rules of this forum (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/faq.php#0): polite posting, no insults, etc. etc.

Please stay away from partisan politics and religion. There may come a day when religion and politics can be topics to be discussed (I fully intend on opening a forum for it when dealing with creationism and government control/abuse of science) but discussions about them almost always degenerate into a series of insults. Keep them out of this forum.

The most important thing to remember: if you feel yourself getting overheated by some topic, walk away from the keyboard. Posting in haste very rarely accomplishes your goals, and as we have seen can result in quite the opposite. This does not mean you cannot be emotional-- we are humans, after all. Heated debates are fine, but I will not condone sheer argumentation. Find some other place for that.

So, having said all that: have fun.

-Phil, aka The Bad Astronomer

R.A.F.
2005-Jun-26, 08:15 PM
THANK YOU!!

WaxRubiks
2005-Jun-26, 08:42 PM
http://img243.echo.cx/img243/6066/opening91hh.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Jpax2003
2005-Jun-26, 09:07 PM
Thank you. :D

dcolanduno_old
2005-Jun-26, 09:31 PM
The folks here at Skepticality approve of the re-opening of the BABBling forum...

Carry on! ;)

Spacewriter
2005-Jun-26, 11:54 PM
Perhaps a warning over the doorway:

These aren't the arguments you're looking for.
(mystic wave of hand)

;)

mickal555
2005-Jun-27, 12:10 AM
nice to see every one is posting in this announcement :D

wow... it's back open

Yeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

THANKS YOU

Normandy6644
2005-Jun-27, 12:34 AM
Let the fluff begin.......again! :D

frogesque
2005-Jun-27, 12:43 AM
Welcome back and thanks.

Froggy

mopc
2005-Jun-27, 01:28 AM
Boy I was dying here. Thanks!

Russ
2005-Jun-27, 02:34 AM
Now if we can maybe ....unban....certain parties, things will be back to "NORMAL". :D

This is known to be an unpopular position so no need to tell me how incorrect, stupid, unfeeling and so forth, I am. ;)

paulie jay
2005-Jun-27, 03:56 AM
Yay! Will be on best behaviour!

hippietrekx
2005-Jun-27, 04:25 AM
I always have been on my best behavior. The last time I wasn't my mom made me stand in the corner for five WHOLE minutes...

Wait... that was when I was 4 and got Play-Doh smushed into the carpet... And that's the worst I've ever been?...

Y'all don't think that makes me a goodie-goodie does it?... 8-[

Meh, at least that means I never get grounded and computer privledges taken away! :D

--htx

Meteora
2005-Jun-27, 04:27 AM
Yay! BABBling is reopened! =D>

Now I can post that reply to...

to...

um...?

Er... what was I going to reply to?

Darn. I forget. #-o

Sammy
2005-Jun-27, 04:58 AM
Glad to see the Forum open again, been checking daily.

That said, I hope we can all keep things in perspective. I really enjoy my visits and "conversations" here, but I was amazed to see some BABBers reacting to the locking of this Board/bannings as if a loved one had died. I think it's that sort of attitude/intense investment which lead to the recent problems.

It' fun, it's educational, it's annoying at times, but it's not life!

Maha Vailo
2005-Jun-27, 05:04 AM
=D> :D =D>

Woohoo, BaBBling is finally reopened! It's my favorite part of this board.

And yes, I'll try to behave myself here.... :wink:

- Maha "we're not worthy, we're not worthy" Vailo

Maksutov
2005-Jun-27, 06:53 AM
Yay! BABBling is reopened! =D>

Now I can post that reply to...

to...

um...?

Er... what was I going to reply to?

Darn. I forget. #-o
You need my bumper sticker for Star Trek fans who are over a "certain age":

Beam me up, Scotty! I forgot why I'm down here...

jt-3d
2005-Jun-27, 07:14 AM
For myself, I don't like BABBling and liked it better when it was closed but for some reason, I can't keep from at least looking to see what threads come up. I wish I had more self control. Oh well, enjoy.

Obviousman
2005-Jun-27, 10:26 AM
BABB IS BACK!

And it's better than ever....

(Courtesy of Over The Top Promotions Inc )
(If that is actually a real promotion group - I apologise. This is meant to be tongue in cheek)

ToSeek
2005-Jun-27, 02:44 PM
Perhaps a warning over the doorway:

These aren't the arguments you're looking for.
(mystic wave of hand)

;)

BABBling has a powerful effect upon the weak-minded....

Disinfo Agent
2005-Jun-27, 03:15 PM
Thank you for reopenning the forum, B.A. 8)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Jun-27, 03:38 PM
Yeah ...

Thanks Phil!

[Brown-Nose]You're the Best!!!![/Brown-Nose]

=D>

Eroica
2005-Jun-27, 04:06 PM
Are there ground rules for this bulletin board?

Yes, there are rules for posting here. I take these rules very seriously, so you should too.
First and foremost, this board is for discussing astronomy. It doesn't matter what topic it is, as long as it pertains arguably to astronomy, bad or no.
:-? :-k

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jun-27, 04:08 PM
Nice to be babbling again! :D

(Normality will be restored as soon as we find out what normal is!)

<edit to change norma to normal (sorry Norma!) >

Disinfo Agent
2005-Jun-27, 05:38 PM
Are there ground rules for this bulletin board?

Yes, there are rules for posting here. I take these rules very seriously, so you should too.
First and foremost, this board is for discussing astronomy. It doesn't matter what topic it is, as long as it pertains arguably to astronomy, bad or no.
:-? :-k

BABBling is a forum for members to chit chat about various non-astronomy topics. I do strongly urge people to avoid contentious topics such as religion and politics. All other rules in the FAQ apply.
:)

Gillianren
2005-Jun-27, 08:09 PM
thank you, Phil. I hope we can all live up to your expectations.

as to why I've missed BABBling so . . . well, I can't contribute to a lot of the, well, astronomy-based fora (ooo, proper Latin!). I find it fascinating, but I just don't know enough to really get into it. here, I can feel of some use when people ask questions.

besides, you lot are so much fun!

jfribrg
2005-Jun-27, 08:18 PM
Now that Babbling is open, I wonder how long before Glom's astronomy quiz thread dies (again). After a day, I got to the point where I didn't miss Babbling. I do like the Alternative suggestion of a general science forum.

WaxRubiks
2005-Jun-27, 08:39 PM
[GLP woo woo mode]I predict that BABBling will be close again by July 11th, no later than August 28th
definitely before if not on September 9th, DEFINITELY[/GLP woo woo mode]

Enzp
2005-Jun-28, 05:08 AM
We're sorry we messed up your house, Phil. It really was a nice party. The lawn will grow back.

Stylesjl
2005-Jun-28, 07:08 AM
Glad to see things back online

Reactor Core Online 8)

ToSeek
2005-Jun-28, 04:19 PM
[GLP woo woo mode]I predict that BABBling will be close again by July 11th, no later than August 28th

... of some year.

Lance
2005-Jun-28, 04:50 PM

... of some [***] year.
***continually incrementing

jamestox
2005-Jun-28, 08:00 PM
Thank you, BA!!

lyford
2005-Jun-29, 02:58 AM
I am glad it reopened, if only for the fact that the forum name so perfectly integrates the boards initials....

And where else could I post my cat pictures in good conscience?

TravisM
2005-Jul-16, 12:54 PM
I still feel bad for starting the thread that got the babbling shut down in the first place. It also got Candy and SciFi Chick banned as well... :oops:

Moose
2005-Jul-16, 04:14 PM
Travis, SciFi Chick and Candy are both adults. Both perfectly capable of being responsible for their own choices. You opened the thread in good faith. They chose to participate in it, and the manner in which they participated. They are responsible for the consequences of their own choices, not you.