PDA

View Full Version : The Lemon-Curd Association Game

WaxRubiks
2005-Jun-26, 09:48 PM
http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/gales_lemon_curd.jpg

This is not a fluff thread, this is a very important scientific question. Really it is.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jun-26, 11:32 PM
Okay, I'll bite. Just what is lemon curd?

Lance
2005-Jun-26, 11:37 PM
This is not a fluff thread, this is a very important scientific question. Really it is.

And that question is??? My guess is:

"How many people will blindly post to a thread when they have no idea what the real subject is?"

Kristophe
2005-Jun-26, 11:58 PM

mickal555
2005-Jun-27, 03:14 AM
We appologise for the inconvience

This thread has no value

hippietrekx
2005-Jun-27, 03:44 AM
Why do lemon curds look like egg yolks?

Ha ha, if this were a test to see exactly who would bite the bait... I sorta bit... But out of curiosity! I mean, if they didn't look like egg yolks, I wouldn't have posted...

really... 8-[

--htx

P.S. Kristophe, I like the reference to HHGTTG. :)

paulie jay
2005-Jun-27, 04:04 AM
We call it Lemon Butter in Australia. "Curd" just sounds so... rancid!

Melusine
2005-Jun-27, 10:10 AM
Ok, another food thread....well, earlier I almost cooked up some Jello lemon pudding since this got my tastebuds going, but alas, it takes a 1/2 cup of sugar, which I don't need right now. First the hard-candy, now lemon curd, hmm, Frog March, are you into sweets? Or are you just sharing British sweets? If so, I thought Bread Pudding is distinctly British; my mother makes the best, and puts whiskey in it. :D What is the true Bread Pudding recipe? There are so many variations now.

PJ, agreed, curd does sound like curdle, as in curdled milk..yech.

It's an English specialty, they say at Joy of Baking (http://www.joyofbaking.com/LemonCurd.html)

Lemon curd is a wonderfully tart, soft, thick, spreadable cooked cream that contains eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and unsalted butter. It is different from a lemon filling or custard in that it contains more lemon juice and zest which gives it a sharper flavor and as it contains butter the texture is smoother and creamier. Lemon filling and custard contain little or no butter and use cornstarch or flour for thickening.

Traditionally lemon curd was served as a spread for scones at Afternoon tea. But it has now extended it role to being used not only as a spread but also as a filling in trifles, tarts, sponge and butter cakes, to name a few. You can even make it lighter in texture and less tart in flavor by adding some softly whipped heavy cream to the lemon curd. Once made it can be used immediately or refrigerated for a week or two which does soften its tartness.

Conspiracy Cam
2005-Jun-27, 11:15 AM
I like lemon curd.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

mickal555
2005-Jun-27, 11:33 AM
it rymes with somthing starting with "T"

and that's kinda off putting...

Paul Mitchell
2005-Jun-27, 12:05 PM
Just one word, Marmite :D

mickal555
2005-Jun-27, 12:09 PM
vegemite

WaxRubiks
2005-Jun-27, 12:11 PM
you either love it or you hate it.

Melusine
2005-Jun-27, 12:11 PM
Heh, heh, check out this site http://www.marmite.com/. :lol:

Paul Mitchell
2005-Jun-27, 12:45 PM
Heh, heh, check out this site http://www.marmite.com/. :lol:
Oh wow, these people need to get out more :lol:

worzel
2005-Jun-27, 12:45 PM
Okay, I'll bite. Just what is lemon curd?
Delicious.

Delicious.

vegemite
Disgusting.

mickal555
2005-Jun-27, 12:51 PM
?

I thought marmite and vegemite were the same thing...

WaxRubiks
2005-Jun-27, 12:58 PM
?

both byproducts of the beer industry, I think.

Orpheus
2005-Jun-27, 01:08 PM
?

NOOOO!!!! [-X

Well same basic ingredient (yeast extract) but prepared differently, like chips and roast potatoes, same ingredients, different results.

Marmite is thick and gloopy whereas Vegemite isn't viscous and much less salty.

Now back on topic......i love lemon curd too! But what was the question?????

mickal555
2005-Jun-27, 01:10 PM
lemon butter sounds nice...

I like vegemite though :D

Lianachan
2005-Jun-27, 01:15 PM
I have a serious, and vaguely related, question that may belong in this thread....

Lemon meringue pie - should it be served hot, or chilled? I always had it chilled through my childhood, but when I told my colleagues that they were disgusted. Lemon meringue pie, they say, should be served hot. Ideally with custard. Now that, to me, sounds disgusting.

I know the correct answer is eat it however you prefer it, but what is the general consensus in polite society (of which I'm assuming the regulars here represent a decent approximation)? Was my childhood really that weird, when it came to pudding time? Is the scorn of my peers justified?

mickal555
2005-Jun-27, 01:18 PM
Chilled

Heated- eugh

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Jun-27, 03:46 PM
Mmmm ...

LEMONS!!!!

Any, Lemons!

Especially, Raw!!

pumpkinpie
2005-Jun-27, 03:51 PM
I have a serious, and vaguely related, question that may belong in this thread....

Lemon meringue pie - should it be served hot, or chilled? I always had it chilled through my childhood, but when I told my colleagues that they were disgusted. Lemon meringue pie, they say, should be served hot. Ideally with custard. Now that, to me, sounds disgusting.

I know the correct answer is eat it however you prefer it, but what is the general consensus in polite society (of which I'm assuming the regulars here represent a decent approximation)? Was my childhood really that weird, when it came to pudding time? Is the scorn of my peers justified?

I've never heard of it being served heated....always nice and chilled!

mid
2005-Jun-27, 03:57 PM
Lemons. They're like Limes, but with stabilizers.

I tell you what is nice, though.

Take one jar of lemon curd, and a pint of double cream. Stick 'em together in a plastic tub, and whip 'em until they're well blended. Take the tub and bung it in the freezer, taking it out every 20-30 minutes or so to give it a stir - you don't want any ice crystals forming.

Once it's gone properly frozen, you've got absolutely killer (in both the tastes gorgeous and the artery-thickening meanings) lemon ice cream.

If you're feeling a bit less lazy (and the above is pretty lazy indeed), grating a little bit of lime rind in there gives it a touch more zing. Plus you can use the rest of the lime for drinks, which has got to be a bonus.

edit - oh, and as for lemon meringue pie, I think you're a touch weird for liking it at all. But you'd never re-heat it; all I suspect your cow-orkers are up to is being too impatient to let the thing cool down in the first place. Weirdos.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jun-27, 04:59 PM

Chilled. And no custard!

Melusine
2005-Jun-27, 05:46 PM

Chilled. And no custard!
What's wrong with custard?? But yeah, lemon meringue pie, as all have said, is served cold, or else the meringue would collapse! But last night I made Americana Custard, which you can add an egg to to make it thicker (instead of the lemon with the 1/2 cup sugar), and ate it warm. I like all my puddings warm, including chocolate, though cold is OK. But Lemon Meringue pie and Key Lime pie must be cold, imo! I would probably like that lemon curd stuff, and all "eggy" custards.

Look at this Google Image page of lemon curds and souffles...yummm! :P

http://images.google.com/images?q=lemon%20curd&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

edit typo

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jun-27, 05:48 PM
Oh, custard is fine, just not with lemon meringue pie. :)

W.F. Tomba
2005-Jun-27, 06:04 PM
PJ, agreed, curd does sound like curdle, as in curdled milk..yech.
That's because to curdle means to turn into a curd. Even more interestingly, the OED says that crud is derived from an obsolete variant of curd.

So you all enjoy your lemon crud!