PDA

View Full Version : Is Temple 1 associated with any meteor showers?

beskeptical
2005-Jun-27, 09:14 AM
I know I've seen sites listing meteor showers and their associated comets but I can't seem to find them tonight. Gary Kronk's site doesn't have it or at least I couldn't find the information there. I e-mailed him the same question so I'll let you all know what he replies if he does.

Does Temple 1 have a shower associated with it and might it get a nice boost from Deep Impact's collision? That could be fun in the next year or two if so.

2005-Jun-27, 09:33 AM
Does Temple 1 have a shower associated with it and might it get a nice boost from Deep Impact's collision? That could be fun in the next year or two if so.

Since its orbit doesn't cross Earth's, I don't see how its debris would. It hangs out between Jupiter and just inside Mars' orbit. Here (http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/db_shm?sstr=tempel+1&group=all&search=Search) is a schematic Java animation of the encounter, where you can visualize Tempel 1's orbit.

mickal555
2005-Jun-27, 11:59 AM
We get meteors from comet hally and I dunno if it crossed our orbit....

Edit- :oops:
I get it now- crossing our orbit means going closer to the sun than earth- it doesn't actually have to cross our phyical orbit on an XYZ point...

gopher65
2005-Jun-27, 12:38 PM
I heard that it would increase the shower for next year? And I thinkwe do have a small shower associated with tempel 1.

I need to start bookmarking the pages where I see something interesting:P.

ngc3314
2005-Jun-27, 03:44 PM
We get meteors from comet hally and I dunno if it crossed our orbit....

Edit- :oops:
I get it now- crossing our orbit means going closer to the sun than earth- it doesn't actually have to cross our phyical orbit on an XYZ point...

You were sort of right the first time - "crossing our orbit" is convenient shorthand for "some point on the comet's orbit is physically
close enough to some point of the Earth's orbit for debris to have spread out across that distance in view of its ejection velocity and subsequent solar and planetary perturbations". Which almost means the orbits sharing an XYZ point. However, the comet and Earth need not be there at the same time. In this sense, Halley's orbit crosses ours not once but twice, once "northbound" and once "southbound" (which for its inclined path also means once inbound and once outbound). Most orbits don't cross ours, so there are many potential meteor showers that we don't see (nor does any other major planets).

Jupiter must see a good many meteor showers, since its influence puts lots of comets on orbits that come quite close to it. I seem to recall seeing a calculation once (pointed up recently, in fact, in connection with a streak in a rover image) of comets that might produce Martian showers.

beskeptical
2005-Jun-28, 07:36 PM
Thanks folks. Here's Gary's reply:
An excellent question, but I have bad news. Tempel 1 does not come
close to Earth's orbit, so, unfortunately, no meteor shower is
possible. It would have been a spectacular event.

GaryDarn!