PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Congress vs. File-Sharing

Disinfo Agent
2005-Jun-28, 12:39 PM
The Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act -- which is expected to be passed by the Senate as early as next week -- could deal a deathblow to networks such as Grokster and Kazaa. And on September 28th, the House passed the Piracy Deterrence and Education Act, which would clear the way to criminally prosecute illicit file traders, with penalties of up to three years in prison.

Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6559885?pageid=rs.News&pageregion=double1&rnd=1098 750087288&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.872)
Kind of political, but may affect some of us...

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Jun-28, 12:59 PM
The Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act -- which is expected to be passed by the Senate as early as next week -- could deal a deathblow to networks such as Grokster and Kazaa. And on September 28th, the House passed the Piracy Deterrence and Education Act, which would clear the way to criminally prosecute illicit file traders, with penalties of up to three years in prison.

Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone)

You Probably Meant to Link, to This (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7425407/?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1).

Unless, Of Course, you Meant The Jessica Alba, Cover Story ....

:oops:

Moose
2005-Jun-28, 01:05 PM
You know, this opens all ISPs, hardware makers, and PC resellers to RIAA and MPAA extortion in the form of lawsuits.

papageno
2005-Jun-28, 01:39 PM

Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone)

You Probably Meant to Link, to This (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7425407/?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1).

Unless, Of Course, you Meant The Jessica Alba, Cover Story ....

:oops:

Jessica Alba is indeed worthwhile, however
"We hold that one who distributes a device with the object of promoting its use to infringe copyright, as shown by the clear expression or other affirmative steps taken to foster infringement, is liable for the resulting acts of infringement by third parties," wrote Justice David H. Souter on behalf of the court.
So, what company promotes an object for its use in illegal activities (copyright infringment)?
Car dealers do not promote a sports car, claiming that it can get you away from the police after a bank robbery.

Disinfo Agent
2005-Jun-28, 01:59 PM
I've fixed the link, I think...

SeanF
2005-Jun-28, 03:03 PM
"We hold that one who distributes a device with the object of promoting its use to infringe copyright, as shown by the clear expression or other affirmative steps taken to foster infringement, is liable for the resulting acts of infringement by third parties," wrote Justice David H. Souter on behalf of the court.
So, what company promotes an object for its use in illegal activities (copyright infringment)?
Car dealers do not promote a sports car, claiming that it can get you away from the police after a bank robbery.
Well, I don't know the specifics of the case that the Supreme's were ruling on, but they ruled that there was evidence that the company in question was "encouraging" illegal file sharing, so the case should not have been dismissed. Note that the Supreme's did not say the company should be found liable, just that there was enough evidence for a suit against them to proceed.

Now, how about radar detectors? They don't actually help you to break the law, but they do help you to get away with it. Is that different? :)

Chuck
2005-Jun-28, 03:18 PM
Maybe Grokster and Kazaa should sue the recording industry for helping to pollute their legitimate filing sharing system with illegal copies of music, making it harder for legitimate users to find anything. Clearly the music industry is creating this problem by putting out copyrighted music in a form that is easily copied. The copying has been going on for years but the music industry continues to provide new material. This shows clear intent to support illegal activities. The recording industry should pay a billion dollars or so in damages and then be shut down.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jun-28, 05:09 PM
By that argument, people selling (or giving away) stolen TVs should sue Sony for producing them. Doesn't work. :)

Gillianren
2005-Jun-28, 05:40 PM
one of my primary uses for filesharing is so-called AMVs, or anime music videos. not sure of the legality of making 'em, but the people who put them together share them freely. likewise techno versions of things.

further . . . how does buying used affect copyright? half my library--and my music collection, come to that--is used. since Anne McCafferey isn't receiving a penny for my books, does that mean that the Paperback Exchange should be closed?

ktesibios
2005-Jun-28, 05:56 PM
further . . . how does buying used affect copyright? half my library--and my music collection, come to that--is used. since Anne McCafferey isn't receiving a penny for my books, does that mean that the Paperback Exchange should be closed?

Copyright protection is all about what it sounds like- the right to make copies of a work. When you buy a used book, you aren't making a copy, so the author's rights are unaffected.

paulie jay
2005-Jun-29, 07:43 AM
That's right. All too often when discussions about copyright arise it isn't long before someone steers the conversation to the issue of the scruples of record companies - which is another issue entirely.

frogesque
2005-Jun-29, 08:37 AM
From a fairly standard copyright text in a book

Conditions of Sale

This book is sold subject to the condition that it shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, re-sold, hired out, or otherwise circulated in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published and without a similar condition including this condition being imposed on the subsequent purchaser.

My reading of this is that unaltered books can be traded without infringement of copyright so second hand sales or sharing originals are OK. Re-distributing the same book in a new cover or format without the copyright holder's explicit consent would be illegal.

mid
2005-Jun-29, 08:43 AM

No, but they do have to be very, very careful about promoting the fact that it can do 150mph+