PDA

View Full Version : Weightless in bed for three months. Want to volunteer?

MHS
2001-Nov-20, 03:13 PM
Weightless in bed for three months. Want to volunteer? (http://www.esa.int/export/esaCP/ESAQKTZK0TC_Life_0.html)

How cool is that?? One of the selection criteria is: 'You must be highly motivated.' LOL

> Michiel <

ToSeek
2001-Nov-20, 04:50 PM
Give me a big stack of good books, and I'd be tempted.

Nah, I'd go stir-crazy after the first day. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Mr. X
2001-Nov-20, 04:56 PM
Expecially since you're stuck there, and that you are waiting for your body to become damaged so they can study the kind of damage it does.

Count me out.
And after looking at ToSeek's link of inside shuttle pictures, count me out of space too.

ToSeek
2001-Nov-21, 01:12 PM
On 2001-11-20 11:56, Mr. X wrote:
And after looking at ToSeek's link of inside shuttle pictures, count me out of space too.

I'd love to go into space, but I have massive claustrophobia - don't think I could cope with being cooped up in a tin can for the duration.

ToSeek
2001-Nov-21, 01:36 PM
On 2001-11-20 11:56, Mr. X wrote:

And you don't even have to be one of the ones going into space to have to deal with a cramped (and sideways) crew compartment:

Crews meticulously pack shuttle (http://www.floridatoday.com/news/space/stories/2001b/nov/spa112101c.htm)

The Rat
2001-Nov-23, 01:07 AM
Gimme a trainload of beer and an internet connection.

No sweat man. Anything for science.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Rat on 2001-11-22 20:08 ]</font>

ljbrs
2001-Nov-23, 11:50 PM
SERIOUSLY, I think that NASA should prepare children who might become future astronauts by rearing them in tiny closets (to prepare them for the confined quarters of space travel well, well ahead of time). Then, and only then, will future astronauts be ready for the boringness and meaninglessness of extended space travel. Also, the space children (future astronauts) should be fed space food (such as astronauts eat and drink) so that they will be prepared for its blandness.

Of course, the end result of this would all depend upon there being survivors...

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Whee!

Trish
2001-Nov-24, 11:57 AM
On 2001-11-23 18:50, ljbrs wrote:
SERIOUSLY, I think that NASA should prepare children who might become future astronauts by rearing them in tiny closets (to prepare them for the confined quarters of space travel well, well ahead of time). Then, and only then, will future astronauts be ready for the boringness and meaninglessness of extended space travel. Also, the space children (future astronauts) should be fed space food (such as astronauts eat and drink) so that they will be prepared for its blandness.

Gee, I have a child that wants to go into space. She's always enjoyed sitting in the closet to read. Does that count? Plus, she has to eat my cooking - which bland would be a good thing instead of yuck!

Simon
2001-Nov-24, 12:45 PM
Sounds okay to me... I spend all the time in front of the computer anyway, and as long as they have some form of chocolate the food'll be fine...

jkmccrann
2007-Sep-20, 06:51 PM
Warning - this does relate to a few years ago, but it caught my interest so I have to ask.......

Of course, the end result of this would all depend upon there being survivors...

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Whee!

SERIOUSLY? Don't know how useful that would be for preparing future astronauts, but it sure would be a good way to end up in the claustrophobic confines of a prison cell!

Anyhow, given this is and relates to something a few years ago - does anyone know if anyone actually volunteered for this ESA project? And particularly any BAUTERs, given the base of BAUTERS is much larger now - did anyone out there in BAUTville go for this - would seem to me - thoroughly boring experiment?

Any news on what happened with this?

Nicolas
2007-Sep-20, 10:03 PM
Hey, I've been doing this experiment for 5 years now! But now I'm almost graduated.

Irishman
2007-Sep-20, 10:06 PM
Don't know about that study. There was an ad on the radio here looking for volunteers for a similar type study on bedrest, being run by JSC.

MHS said:
One of the selection criteria is: 'You must be highly motivated.' LOL

Does seem ironic, highly motivated to lie around in bed all day and do nothing. However, it is sensible. You have to be highly motivated to contribute to the program to not get out of bed at all, or for very limited amounts (crawl to the toilet once a day?). Similarly, you have to be highly motivated to maintain the regimen of causing deleterious effects to your body on purpose, and then there is whatever regimen is being tested to combat the effects. Might be weight lifting or exercise of some sort, might be drug concoction, might be both. And then there is the recovery program, which they probably have (I don't know), which involves... exercise to rebuild muscle strength and bone density. So yeah, you've got to be committed to not back out half-way through, and make your data useless.

mugaliens
2007-Sep-21, 04:14 PM
I've little interest in food varieties these days, much interest in the Internet, so as long as I'm plugged in, have an excellent exercise regimine (keeping up bone and muscle mass) I'd be up for it.

If it pays well.

cjl
2007-Sep-21, 09:00 PM
Note that the thread is from 2001...