PDA

View Full Version : Catfish God Caught

Tuckerfan
2005-Jun-30, 11:10 PM
Over 600 lbs! (http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2005/06/30/no_fish_tale_thai_catch_646_pound_fish/)
This big one did not get away. Thai fishermen netted a 646-pound catfish believed to have been the world's largest freshwater fish ever caught in Thailand, a researcher said Thursday.

The nearly 9-foot-long Mekong giant catfish was landed May 1 by villagers in Chiang Khong, a remote district in northern Thailand, and weighed by Thai fisheries department officials, said Zeb Hogan, who leads an international project to locate and study the world's largest freshwater fish species.

Maksutov
2005-Jul-01, 01:30 AM
Over 600 lbs! (http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2005/06/30/no_fish_tale_thai_catch_646_pound_fish/)
This big one did not get away. Thai fishermen netted a 646-pound catfish believed to have been the world's largest freshwater fish ever caught in Thailand, a researcher said Thursday.

The nearly 9-foot-long Mekong giant catfish was landed May 1 by villagers in Chiang Khong, a remote district in northern Thailand, and weighed by Thai fisheries department officials, said Zeb Hogan, who leads an international project to locate and study the world's largest freshwater fish species.
Wow! That's the equivalent of two good ol' boys! Said two needing about one weekend to polish off the referenced fish.

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0053.gif

Let's see, is there any way to calculate how much Agent Orange wound up in northern Thailand? :-k

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Jul-01, 01:48 AM
...mmm...fifty gallons of tartar sauce...'bout two thousand buns...coupla hundred pounds of breading crumbs...few hundred gallons of peanut oil and one heckuva cauldron to fry it up...fish sandwich feeding frenzy!!!...yum...

Maksutov
2005-Jul-01, 01:56 AM
...mmm...fifty gallons of tartar sauce...'bout two thousand buns...coupla hundred pounds of breading crumbs...few hundred gallons of peanut oil and one heckuva cauldron to fry it up...fish sandwich feeding frenzy!!!...yum...
Putcher local MickyDs out of the "seafood" business for a while! Unless they started selling "Fillet O' Fish' sandwiches for a penny each.
I'd still go with the fresh, deep-fried catfish swimmin' in tartar sauce anyway. With plenty of the appropriate beverage to wash it down... http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/ernaehrung/food-smiley-004.gif

David Carroll
2005-Jul-01, 10:51 AM
The Wels, a giant catfish of Europe is technically the world's largest catfish. The largest authenticated specimen is one that was taken From the Ukraine that was 16'8" in lenght and weighed 675 pounds. Alas, these days a 200 pounder is a monster specimen.

wackywizjr
2005-Jul-01, 11:57 AM
The problem with a fish like that is it would be too old and lazy to put up a good fight. It would be used to just laying there and waiting for food to swim in its mouth. The meat would also be probably very grainy in texture and not very tasty. Give me a 50 lbs tuna or a 12 to 200 lbs catfish any day, still lots of fight and tasty meat.

publiusr
2005-Jul-01, 03:24 PM
Hey--that means no more earthquakes. It was once thought that 'quakes were caused by a giant Catfish.

There is a 'rural' legend about a huge catfish in a VW Beetle sunk below a dam here in Ala.

Jpax2003
2005-Jul-01, 07:02 PM
There are legends of man-eating catfish in my hometown in Illinois. We also have a river dam where large catfish are regularly caught in a maelstrom about 50 ft deep. But the really big ones are caught in a 100 ft deep hole half a mile downriver where a company used to suck sand out of the river bottom. I've seen 3-5 feet long catfish hauled out at regular intervals. I think the record was 9 feet, but I can't confirm the ones that got away.

TriangleMan
2005-Jul-01, 08:27 PM
I, for one, welcome our new catfish overlords. 8)

Maksutov
2005-Jul-01, 11:47 PM
I, for one, welcome our new catfish overlords. 8)
LOL!

OK, what's the overlord tally up to? Seems by now there should be a large number of them! :wink:

The short list I have includes:

Intel overlords
Illuminati overlords
Feline overlords
Hamster overlords
Violent alien overlords
Extraterrestrial overlords
Lunar overlords
NZborngal overlords
Bunny overlords
Evil Orion overlords
Martian overlords
Evil Overlords
Reptilian overlords
Insect overlords
Galactic overlords
Turtle overlords
Penguin overlords
Evil Sigma Orionis overlords
Cosmic overlords
Apollo overlords

Getcher program! Getcher program right here! Every program includes a scorecard! A scorecard with every program! Ya can't tell the overlords without a scorecard! Getcher program right here!
Good lord! (http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9263/alienoverlordtaylor4vk.jpg)

Van Rijn
2005-Jul-02, 12:58 AM
Pretty good... but you forgot our Overlords from Omicron Persei 8 !

Maksutov
2005-Jul-02, 01:47 AM
Pretty good... but you forgot our Overlords from Omicron Persei 8 !
Hey, you're just picking Ndnds from the Lrrr-id details!

It was a short list after all!

Meanwhile, I, for one, welcome our Omicron Persei 9 overlords.

Nose? What nose?