PDA

View Full Version : Positron Propulsion?

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jul-01, 05:39 PM
Positron propulsion for spacecraft LINK (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/positron_drive_pluto.html?3062005)

Sounds nice, "1000 gallons of unleaded positrons please!" :D

publiusr
2005-Jul-01, 05:46 PM
Cool. I'd like to see more propulsion concepts on this website.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jul-01, 05:52 PM

Plenty hot air available from de guvmint! :D

publiusr
2005-Jul-01, 05:55 PM
We can't use that. But imagine if we could...we could push the moon out of orbit with that exhaust. :x

sparticus1701
2005-Jul-01, 06:28 PM

For producing fuel, I always advocate the world's most plentiful and renewable resource: stupid people. Or use things on Earth that no one wants, like lawyers.

It brings back memories of my electromagnetic/ion propulsion system I thought up in 8th grade. Moving charged particles from a nuclear source through an electromagnetic gun (minding of course you need a lot of them moving fast). Funny that others obviously had similar ideas...

John Kierein
2005-Jul-01, 06:31 PM
The article says that positrons don't exist on earth. That's simply not true. Several isotopes naturally decay by ejecting positrons. They are sometimes called positive beta radiation.

gopher65
2005-Jul-01, 07:38 PM
AFAIK Beta radiation is Helium? And Alpha Radiation is Neutrons? Or did I mix them up with something else?

Jpax2003
2005-Jul-01, 07:45 PM
AFAIK Beta radiation is Helium? And Alpha Radiation is Neutrons? Or did I mix them up with something else?

Alpha radiation is a helium nucleus, beta is an electron, and gamma is a photon.

Would antiprotons be a better choice than positrons?

publiusr
2005-Jul-06, 08:46 PM
That's a good question.