PDA

View Full Version : "HP BREAKTHRU DISCOVERY OF OPTICAL QUANTUM COMPUTING&qu

dorothyblueeyes
2005-Jul-02, 11:47 AM
This article, in the business section of SF Chronicle,SF,CA, says that HP (Hewlett-Packard) has just made a breakthru int he realm of "optical quantam computing," whereby a computer system could use photons with laser beams, instead of electrons. It's still in mostly theoretical form, but all the experts say, it could easily fly--and people otherwise have been working on optical quantam computing for some time now; and this could work!! You canrefer to the whole article, on "fearthegeek.com" on the "Science Forum," posted by dorothyblueeyes--- however, no one seems to be interested in science, or theories, there, so I thought I'd try to find discucssions on this, here, since this seems to be a literate(more than me) crowd,and plenty of crowd, too. Thanks, I'd like your reactions to this thing by Hewlett-Packard,which could be the start of new computing systems, int the future. What ya think" ? Are they full of air??? ; )
sincerely, dorothyblueeyes :D =D>

Enzp
2005-Jul-02, 12:12 PM
They have been working on optical computer systems for a long time at HP and many other places. If this topic interests you, follow along at web sites for the EE Times (electronic enginering times) A weekly devoted to engineers in electronics and related fields. Another one is EDN magazine. For that matter, I bet HP has something about it on their web site. And our pals at Google can find 6 million hits in a quarter second on optical computing.

"Breakthroughs" are encouraging, but they are like amazing breakthroughs in say genetic science that hold great promise for curing cancers. These things are not oh all we need is one last piece to the puzzle and we can sell them at Best Buy by Christmas.

Like all science, these things advance in increments. Could easily fly is a long way from practical implementation. So it is good news, but it is not the missing link.

paulie jay
2005-Jul-04, 02:35 AM
Oh... Hewlett-Packard...

From the thread title I thought you were referring to HP Sauce, (http://www.hpfoods.com/brands/hpsauce/) the breakthough being that they've finally made it edible...

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jul-04, 02:43 AM
You don't like HP Sauce? Well now I'm not talking to the likes of you. [-( :wink:

paulie jay
2005-Jul-05, 06:21 AM
:lol: Each to their own! 8)

Enzp
2005-Jul-06, 08:25 AM
Hey, the breakthroughs come from wherever they come from. I don't use digital ketchup personally, but you never know. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.