PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 ways to destroy Earth

dgruss23
2005-Jul-03, 01:08 AM
Funny stuff. (http://www.livescience.com/technology/destroy_earth_mp.html)

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Jul-03, 01:15 AM
Funny stuff. (http://www.livescience.com/technology/destroy_earth_mp.html)

cool site

I get the feeling that 4 out of 10 are pure fictional

collegeguy
2005-Jul-03, 02:34 AM
I disagree in his time with the use of vacuum energy. It would be nice to be able to use vacuum energy to help us with the problems we will get as fossil fuels run out, but we are not close to knowing how to extract and use that energy.

The machines is also farther than his proposed date. We also have to assume that no one will try to stop them.

Bu then again, this is supposed to be funny. What a fool I am!#-o

collegeguy
2005-Jul-03, 02:44 AM
Updated info shows destruction via vacuum energy is out of the question now:

Blown up by vacuum energy detonation
You will need: some means of extracting energy from the vacuum

Method: Some scientific theories tell us that what we may see as vacuum is only vacuum on average, and actually thriving with vast amounts of particles and antiparticles constantly appearing and then annihilating each other. It also suggests that the volume of space enclosed by a light bulb contains enough vacuum energy to boil every ocean in the world. Therefore, vacuum energy could prove to be the most abundant energy source of any kind. Which is where you come in. All you need to do is figure out how to extract this energy and harness it in some kind of power plant - this can easily be done without arousing too much suspicion - then surreptitiously allow the reaction to run out of control. The resulting release of energy would easily be enough to annihilate all of planet Earth and probably the Sun too.

Earth's final resting place: a rapidly expanding cloud of particles of varying size.

Feasibility rating: 0/10. This method was originally listed as plausible, but Alan Thomas set me straight: there are about five different ways to calculate the energy of the vacuum, all giving different answers. The methods which give the answers "large" or "infinite" are predicated on dodgy mathematics and almost certainly wrong.

Source: 3001: The Final Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

If you check Sam Hughes link given in the article, he updated this.

hippietrekx
2005-Jul-03, 03:13 AM
:lol:

My dad saw me reading the list and he asked if I was going into a stage of depression.

That's pretty funny. I have a friend who wants to be an Evil Overlord who should see this... {No, I will not put the wink icon here. I'm serious!}

--htx

collegeguy
2005-Jul-03, 04:30 AM

My dad saw me reading the list and he asked if I was going into a stage of depression.

That's pretty funny. I have a friend who wants to be an Evil Overlord who should see this... {No, I will not put the wink icon here. I'm serious!}

--htx

really? why does he want to be an evil overlord?

Dark Helmet
2005-Jul-03, 04:40 AM
Health benfits, I'm sure. It's why anakin joined the Dark Side. He ended up putting it to good use.

hippietrekx
2005-Jul-03, 05:05 AM

--htx

She. She wants to be the first female Evil Overlord... She's a bit nutty and wants to build a base on the moon. (She has named me her Co-overlord because while she is busy with forigen affairs {aliens, according to her we will rule earth!} I am to tend to the homeland.) I'm supposed to draw up blue prints for the moon base. I can't figure out where the best place for the torture chamber is... :wink: (jk, everyone knows it's in the dungeon!) She just wants extreme power... :o

--htx

Dark Helmet
2005-Jul-03, 05:08 AM
Extreme, but not UNLIMITED POWER!!!!1

Sorry, that was too good to pass up, I'll get my quote, erm... coat.

SKY
2005-Jul-03, 05:09 AM

I have a friend who wants to be an Evil Overlord who should see this... {No, I will not put the wink icon here. I'm serious!}

--htx

His name wouldn't be Humphrey, would it? :P

*Edited to add - Oops, I just noticed you said it was a she. Nevermind.

Crazieman
2005-Jul-03, 05:20 AM

--htx

She. She wants to be the first female Evil Overlord... She's a bit nutty and wants to build a base on the moon. (She has named me her Co-overlord because while she is busy with forigen affairs {aliens, according to her we will rule earth!} I am to tend to the homeland.) I'm supposed to draw up blue prints for the moon base. I can't figure out where the best place for the torture chamber is... :wink: (jk, everyone knows it's in the dungeon!) She just wants extreme power... :o

--htx

Whatever you do, don't buy her the video game "Evil Genius"

Maha Vailo
2005-Jul-03, 05:46 PM
Nice list. Unfortunately, all means listed to destroy the Earth are quite impractical, now and in the future. So I guess we're stuck with it. :)

Besides, why destroy the earth when you can rule over it completely? Bwahahahahahaha!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

- Maha (closet evil genius) Vailo

collegeguy
2005-Jul-04, 12:33 AM
Anyway, I thought that the use or extraction of vacuum energy was still far off. He mentioned the possibility for the years 2050 or sooner. does anyone know if we are close to extracting it? I have seen no report of it, but it would be great to help us with our energy problems.

DreadCthulhu
2005-Jul-04, 01:04 PM

--htx

Has she seen the Evil Overlord list yet? Lots of useful advice there. (http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html)

Swift
2005-Jul-05, 01:14 PM
They missed at least one - wait about 6 billion years for the sun to enter its red giant phase and absorb the Earth. Certainty - 100% unless someone moves the Earth.

mid
2005-Jul-05, 01:55 PM
That's because you read the LiveScience version. I liked the Geocide list much more when it was Sam's (http://ned.ucam.org/~sdh31/misc/destroy.html).

Waiting a few billion years is number 4 on the fall-back methods.

hippietrekx
2005-Jul-05, 05:20 PM

--htx

Has she seen the Evil Overlord list yet? Lots of useful advice there. (http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html)

Yes, she has seen it. I found it linked somewhere on this board and sent her the link. She has already modified her plans to follow some of the tips.

I hope it wasn't a mistake in giving her the information. 8-[

--htx

collegeguy
2005-Jul-05, 05:41 PM
there are also some indications on how to be an evil overlord on sam Hughes site:

http://ned.ucam.org/%7Esdh31/misc/destroy.html

just remind her that the livescience article is not updated. the vacuum enrgy destruction is not plausible, since there are five ways to calculate the energy of the vacuum. The ones giving "large" and "infinite" as results are based on dodgy and almost certainly wrong.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/vacuum.html

SAMU
2005-Jul-05, 09:06 PM
He seems to have missed a few;

A technique that has been around since the turn of the 20th century was proposed by Nicola Tesla where the Earth is set oscilating. Each time the wave returns you pump more energy into the oscilation so that the amplitude gets higher each time until the Earth shatters. Nuclear detonations would have enough energy so that the oscilations would not be lost to friction. Equipment is currently available to do it now. Frequency of the Earth is about 4-6 hours so detonating all available nuclear weapons in harmony with the Earth's frequency would take about 6 years to reach sufficient amplitude to shatter the Earth.

collegeguy
2005-Jul-05, 09:18 PM
He seems to have missed a few;

A technique that has been around since the turn of the 20th century was proposed by Nicola Tesla where the Earth is set oscilating. Each time the wave returns you pump more energy into the oscilation so that the amplitude gets higher each time until the Earth shatters. Nuclear detonations would have enough energy so that the oscilations would not be lost to friction. Equipment is currently available to do it now. Frequency of the Earth is about 4-6 hours so detonating all available nuclear weapons in harmony with the Earth's frequency would take about 6 years to reach sufficient amplitude to shatter the Earth.

6 years? I don't think the feasibility of that way would be so high.

hippietrekx
2005-Jul-05, 10:16 PM
there are also some indications on how to be an evil overlord on sam Hughes site:

http://ned.ucam.org/%7Esdh31/misc/destroy.html

just remind her that the livescience article is not updated. the vacuum enrgy destruction is not plausible, since there are five ways to calculate the energy of the vacuum. The ones giving "large" and "infinite" as results are based on dodgy and almost certainly wrong.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/vacuum.html

Hey, thanks. I'll be sure to tell her that that list only has 9 "good" ways to destory the earth, then. She wants to try a Von Newman Machine first. She says if it goes nuts, we can chuck it in to space so it will destroy something else.

She's a strange one, I'll say. At least she plans on giving me a paying job. :wink:

--htx

Lord Jubjub
2005-Jul-06, 12:26 AM
They also missed the method "When Worlds Collide" used: tidal forces from a passing gas giant. If you're going to try to collide Earth with a black hole, you might try tidal forces first.

collegeguy
2005-Jul-06, 12:33 AM
They also missed the method "When Worlds Collide" used: tidal forces from a passing gas giant. If you're going to try to collide Earth with a black hole, you might try tidal forces first.

They had a method that included approaching Jupiter although it was different.

jfribrg
2005-Jul-06, 02:11 PM
This thread was toseeked twice, but I cant find the threads. They may have been deleted 2 months ago when the BA culled the inactive threads.