PDA

View Full Version : What's your 'dream' space mission?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Jul-04, 01:27 PM
mine- maybe a rover on the surface of Titan
or a sub under Europa's ice

V-GER
2005-Jul-04, 01:33 PM
Those, and a "lander" to all the gas giants. Just imagine what could be found under Neptune's or Uranus' clouds.

kucharek
2005-Jul-04, 01:37 PM
A rover on Io. Can you imagine a shot from the surface with Jupiter hanging in the sky?

Sticks
2005-Jul-04, 01:39 PM
A mission to recover the Apollo 10 Ascent Module and bring it home to Earth, via a side trip to tranquility base to see what state the apollo 11 site is in.

Maybe I could visit that alien biosphere on the moon that Hoagland discovered :lol:

Fram
2005-Jul-04, 01:46 PM
A Venus rover. We don't know enough about Venus by far...

V-GER
2005-Jul-04, 01:54 PM
Sticks wrote:

Maybe I could visit that alien biosphere on the moon that Hoagland discovered

The man could basically write a travel guide to Mars. I'm sure the 0.33 degree pyramids at Cydonia are wonderful this time of year. Wonder if Lonely Planet has contacted him yet :-k

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Jul-04, 01:57 PM
maybe Hoagland could take a trip to the Luna 'C' colony....:roll:

V-GER
2005-Jul-04, 01:57 PM
Fram wrote:

Venus rover. We don't know enough about Venus by far...

Definately, didn't the Russians try to get a sample of the soil but managed to hit the fallen camera lens instead? It would certainly be time to revisit it.

V-GER
2005-Jul-04, 02:00 PM
banquo's_bumble_puppy wrote:

maybe Hoagland could take a trip to the Luna 'C' colony

=D> =D> =D>

By that note it's time to end my excruciating day at the office, after all I don't want to strain myself with excessive typing.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Jul-04, 02:08 PM
I think there was an earlier thread about a 'dumb' Venus rover somewhere else on here...anyone know the link?

kucharek
2005-Jul-04, 02:11 PM
Fram wrote:

Venus rover. We don't know enough about Venus by far...

Definately, didn't the Russians try to get a sample of the soil but managed to hit the fallen camera lens instead? It would certainly be time to revisit it.

Venera 13 and 14 had fluorescence spectrometers at the end of a deployable boom. On 14, Murphy hit and the camera lens cap exactly fell to the ground in the place where the spectrometer was placed later. Duh! :-(

Argos
2005-Jul-04, 02:36 PM
A drone in Mars or Titan.

Moose
2005-Jul-04, 02:41 PM
My dream space mission is the one where they send me to the moon for a few days.

parallaxicality
2005-Jul-04, 03:38 PM
no one's mentioned a manned mission to Mars yet?

Sheki
2005-Jul-04, 03:53 PM
I'd like to see a space telescope launched toward the nearest neighbouring star - using whatever engine or combination of techniques to accellerate the thing possible. (In the interests of haste - I ain't gonna live forever - I would want it to be a fly-by mission)

Such a mission would incorporate my two pet space interests:
1. Getting up close and personal with another star system.
2. Seeing just how fast we can get a probe going if we really put our minds (and wallets) to it.

Sheki

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Jul-04, 04:06 PM
A exo planet mission a kind of huge joint mission like the NASA and ESA efforts for Hubble but it will be much bigger
perhaps built 17 years in the future
scientists from Russia, NASA, China, ESA...all put their money and science together to build an extra solar craft,
it uses the latest propulsion Nuke power, Ion drive, Anti-Matter to travel at 20% the speed of light

It will go to one of our closest Star systems like Alpha Centauri except it will pick one with extra solar worlds like Lalande21185, 51-Pegasi, Fomalhaut or DX Cancri

The main-ship will act like the Cassini-Huygens mothership looking at all the worlds of the system
a lander would be sent down to land on the surface of the Alien Planet
while the main mission of the Mothership will be to act as a Solar Orbiter sending us info about this alien Sun for decades to come

Lunnalkann
2005-Jul-04, 04:58 PM
A boring probe into Europa's ocean would be on the top of the list, a Venus probe would be also great.

Both are slightly difficulty to do, but Mars gets too much attention in my opinion..

Izunya
2005-Jul-04, 08:16 PM
Well, let's see . . . you did say dream mission, didn't you?

Then how about the grand tour for me and my SO? Stop off at Mars, being sure to take in the best sights; maybe go caving in the Labyrinth. On to the Jupiter system. Drop a probe on every major moon and into the Jupiter atmosphere, but I think the really neat place would be Europa, so that's where we'd go personally. I vote we call the vehicle something like "the Mole Machine," or "Aqua-Mole," in honor of all those drill-vehicles in the comic books. Check that out, then swing by Saturn, distributing probes all over the place as before, but landing on Titan so we can hike around and take a longer look. Maybe camp out by that lake . . .

Hey, when people say "dream," I dream big and pare it down later. So, my practical dream mission would be an unmanned Mole Machine on Europa, because we've taken a look at some of the other places, but we have no idea what's in there.

Izunya

Glom
2005-Jul-04, 08:28 PM
Ice fishing on Europa.

Omicron Persei 8
2005-Jul-04, 08:36 PM
A Venus rover. We don't know enough about Venus by far...

Agreed. I'd love to see a surface platform last more than a couple hours.

Arneb
2005-Jul-04, 10:17 PM
O. K. ... dream.

The one from that BBC show would be nice: Take a sauna on Venus (and remove that lenscap! 8) ), watch the Sun go down, and up, and down on Mercury, have really cool heliotherapy (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=22583&start=0&postdays=0&postorder =asc&highlight=heliotherapy) inside the Corona, do some sightseeing of ancient ruins on Mars. :evil: Allright, just the canyons, then. At Jupiter, I'd prefer Europadiving to the lava run they did in the BBC thing. Straddle the rings at Saturn, have a round with the shepherd moons, take a plunge at Titan. Go for some catastrophe sightseeing at Miranda, a cool Green Uranus lamp in the sky. See how Old Faithful compared to the spewers on Triton. And yes, why not: Erect a really big scope on Pluto.

While on the way back, all right, see if Tempel I ever recovered from the big hit. Don't forget to bring a good book for the Journey home.

And afterwards, bore your grandchildren to death with your stories, and stories and stories...

publiusr
2005-Jul-06, 09:08 PM
Mini-Mag orion atop HLLV to kick butt to the solar foci and drop a 'scope there--yeeha!