PDA

View Full Version : Prehypertension

Brady Yoon
2005-Jul-05, 11:42 PM
I went to a doctor for a skin problem, and I took a blood pressure test there. Surprisingly, it had risen to 128/80, from something like 113/70 from last year. The doctor said it was ok, and no problem, but I knew that anything above 120/80 was risky. Plus, I"m only 15 and I exercise regularly and eat decent foods, so did my blood pressure jump so much in one year... When my blood pressure was well below normal, I was practicing very unhealthy eating habits too... Imagine how screwed up I'm going to be at 40 or 50...

If anyone can provide some info or links on this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

AGN Fuel
2005-Jul-06, 12:09 AM
I went to a doctor for a skin problem, and I took a blood pressure test there. Surprisingly, it had risen to 128/80, from something like 113/70 from last year. The doctor said it was ok, and no problem, but I knew that anything above 120/80 was risky. Plus, I"m only 15 and I exercise regularly and eat decent foods, so did my blood pressure jump so much in one year... When my blood pressure was well below normal, I was practicing very unhealthy eating habits too... Imagine how screwed up I'm going to be at 40 or 50...

If anyone can provide some info or links on this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Blood pressure is often labile - that is, it is variable and particularly affected by moods, stresses, etc. As a teenager (with its attendant hormonal chaos!) , it is not at all uncommon to have occasional spikes (and 128/80 is not that high btw).

Also, some people have what is termed "White Coat Hypertension", where the very act of having a doctor measure their blood pressure can cause it to rise. For this reason, BP readings should ideally be taken 3 times at 5 minute intervals if indicated.

If you eat properly, avoid excess salt, exercise regularly and have regular check-ups, you are doing the right thing by your body.

Brady Yoon
2005-Jul-06, 12:15 AM
Thanks. Now that I think about it, I think I'm being overly concerned. Plus, I was really annoyed while the doctor tested me, and I drank about 5 cans of soda the day before, plus a huge meal. 8)

AGN Fuel
2005-Jul-06, 12:40 AM
I was really annoyed while the doctor tested me, and I drank about 5 cans of soda the day before... 8)

That wouldn't have helped! :D

Tobin Dax
2005-Jul-06, 02:56 AM
My opinion is that at 15, you're too young to do anything about it medication-wise anyway. Sounds like a fluke, especially if it's abnormal, but if your worried just work on your eating/exercise habits. In 5 years or so, maybe start to worry about your BP if it continues to be an issue. (Also, what do your parents say about this.)

I've always had borderline-high BP (well, at least since I was around your age), and I realized a few weeks ago that it had been too high over the past year, so I finally told my doctor to medicate me. It worked. I'm 25, though, and it's time to take such measures if necessary. At 15, I think something like that (especially in this case) would be overreacting.

paulie jay
2005-Jul-06, 04:14 AM
It sounds like you would also have a high metabolism - would I be right in assuming that you are a lean fellow?

Swift
2005-Jul-06, 12:45 PM
I also wonder how much you have grown in the last year, particularly mass (and I don't mean fat, I mean just bigger). BP will increase with size. 120/80 is a very normal blood pressure and a doctor would not make a diagnosis based on one reading. Keep up with the healthy lifestyle and get it checked again in 6 months or a year.

Argos
2005-Jul-06, 01:26 PM
120/80 is a very normal blood pressure

Unfortunately, it is not considered good enough anymore. It indicates a prehypertensive condition, meaning that those who´re in this range will most likely develop hypertension.

I used to be a 120/80 fellow when I was Brady´s age. Now I´m hypertensive (130/90) and I take control medication. Nothing to worry about, as long as you keep healthy habits (that includes always keeping a positive mental attitude - don´t worry about what you can´t control).

Link 1 (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/index.htm)

Link 2 (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/index.html)

gethen
2005-Jul-06, 01:41 PM
I also have developed prehypertension in spite of being very active, maintaining a healthy weight, and eating pretty wisely. Sometimes it's just genetics that can't be denied. Both my parents had high blood pressure and I manged to hold off the tide until my mid-50s with a decent lifestyle. Still taking the absolute minimum dose of a mild diuretic to keep it down. In my case, family history helped my doctor make the decision to treat the prehypertension and I didn't argue.

Melusine
2005-Jul-06, 01:53 PM
I also have developed prehypertension in spite of being very active, maintaining a healthy weight, and eating pretty wisely. Sometimes it's just genetics that can't be denied. Both my parents had high blood pressure and I manged to hold off the tide until my mid-50s with a decent lifestyle. Still taking the absolute minimum dose of a mild diuretic to keep it down. In my case, family history helped my doctor make the decision to treat the prehypertension and I didn't argue.
Genetics may be right...my BP is 110/70 almost always, and I do everything wrong--drinks lots of coffee, eat lots of sugar, smoke, eat whatever I want, you name it, and I'm not as skinny as I used to be, so I've gained weight, as well. The only time my blood pressure gets higher is when I'm "excited"...like during surgery I was awake for, it shot up to 130. Everything else tests well, too, and I'm getting on 40*. 8-[

*Then again, this may all catch up to me one day.