PDA

View Full Version : No U.S. tornado deaths in April-June

Swift
2005-Jul-06, 05:00 PM
I found this story interesting
CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/07/06/tornado.record.ap/)

Tornadoes killed nobody in the United States during April, May or June for the first time since the government began keeping records in 1950.
The average during that time is 52.

Schaefer credited the perfect record to a combination of improved storm warnings and the unusual coincidence of no tornadoes in large Midwestern cities.
Congrats to our meteorologist friends. =D>

Stardate
2005-Jul-06, 06:13 PM
As a child, I remember many of days in the storm cellar (with spiders). 8-[

Thank you.

publiusr
2005-Jul-06, 07:32 PM
Last year would also have been a record number of tornadoes--in terms of scarcity.

The hurricane-spawned twisters nixed that--and gave us a record for those late season storms.

Look for more of the same this year. The season is early--and we are already quite busy.

I'm not looking forward to those Cape Verde monsters getting a running start at us in a couple of months.

Meteora
2005-Jul-10, 12:03 AM
Congrats to our meteorologist friends. =D>

Um... thanks...!

But it's more than just meteorologists. It's also emergency managers and their teams, storm spotters, radio/TV broadcasters, educators who teach storm safety rules, and the people who listen and take appropriate action when storms approach.

...And not having any major tornadoes hit large cities probably helped a lot, too. But the 2003 Moore/Oklahoma City tornado, an F4, didn't kill anyone, either, and it certainly had plenty of opportunities to do so.

wedgebert
2005-Jul-10, 01:27 AM
As a child, I remember many of days in the storm cellar (with spiders). 8-[

Thank you.

Spiders? I'll take my chances with the tornado.