PDA

View Full Version : Boeing being charged with selling secrets to China

John Kierein
2005-Jul-06, 09:46 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050706/boeing_gyrochip.html?.v=2

The airplane itself could be a weapon, let alone the chip.

Boeing is as bad as the guy arrested for saving a guy's life. Arrested for ignoring an order to get out of the water.

How do they do the math? $500,000 times 96 planes plus $500,000 times 27 spares is more than $47 million. Maybe there's a volume discount on fines.

publiusr
2005-Jul-06, 10:03 PM
I really hate that company. They build a dog of a Delta IV, try to rip off the taxpayer with tanker scams--sell out their Rocketdyne employees to UTC--turn Huntington Beach into a ghost town with all their moves---and now this.

I wish they'd go out of business--or get bought out by Airbus.

John Kierein
2005-Jul-06, 10:06 PM
Eveytime we buy underwear we send money to China that they can use to develop their military. The state department should fine us all.

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Jul-06, 10:47 PM
Eveytime we buy underwear we send money to China that they can use to develop their military. The state department should fine us all.

That's nothing, Israel has supplied Chinese with bombs, unmanned attack drones and missiles. France would like to get the EU arms ban lifted, French man Chirac who already tests atom bombs in the Oceans will want to give Beijing some Nuke cuisine technology, China is perhaps looking at the tech like Harrier jumpjet, the USA's stealth tech and Rafale fighter bomber. Anyway China is more peacful now, during the days of Mao's loony dicator-mindset Chinese were trying to fight everyone,
today China is different it is more open and free trade is going on with the West.

stu
2005-Jul-06, 11:45 PM

My favorite is that all across America, the Fourth of July is celebrated by shooting off fireworks ... which we buy from China. Nice how our independence day supports a "dangerous" country. :roll:

Nicolas
2005-Jul-07, 03:32 PM
I assume that China, a country that develops its own aircraft and has sent a man into space, could develop and build its own gyro chips or other gyro systems?

Boeing apparently did not act according to export laws, but I don't think they created a possible major threat.

Glom
2005-Jul-07, 03:34 PM
This is a smokescreen for the government's problem with Boeing delivering high endurance technology (http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/2005_0706LGW6july001333.jpg) to Britain.

Taks
2005-Jul-07, 03:45 PM
export laws, namely ITAR, are ridiculously strict. from experience...
taks

publiusr
2005-Jul-07, 05:56 PM
It isn't China I'm mad at--its Boeing in general and their ways. Underwear is one thing. A chip that can be used as a guided missile is something else. I just wish China would build HLLVs--and leave their solids alone.

Gillianren
2005-Jul-07, 08:08 PM
It isn't China I'm mad at--its Boeing in general and their ways. Underwear is one thing. A chip that can be used as a guided missile is something else. I just wish China would build HLLVs--and leave their solids alone.

yes, but don't you wish everyone would do that?

as to Boeing going out of business--well, I really hope it doesn't. Washington's economy is pretty heavily based on Boeing and Microsoft, and we've got one of the worst economies in the country already, or did last I knew.

Nicolas
2005-Jul-08, 06:50 PM
That "chip that can be used as a guided missile" is a gyro chip that can be used IN a guided missile, but is not a necessary part of one (mechanical gyro boxes are an alternative). Furthermore, producing such chips is within the technological possibilities of China I would think.

publiusr
2005-Jul-13, 07:18 PM
Hard to say really--but it does seem their Long March vehicle got a whole lot better after the Loral deal. I remember the sick footage of the Long March launch before it plowed into a nearby village.

I'll give them this--they have go fever and treat their space program with the importance it deserves. But--like the US--their airplane people are going to be nibbling at budgets and fighting their space people.

Taks
2005-Jul-13, 07:33 PM
if the content of the article is correct, i have to say this is a ridiculous case. i think the state dept. just wants to prove a point...

taks

Demigrog
2005-Jul-13, 08:01 PM
This reminds me of the export regulation of encryption algorithms... totally pointless. The part in question is a fairly mundane MEMS device quite similar in operation to parts used in cars to trigger airbags. The military model differs from civilian models only in the supported temperature ranges. There is no question that China is more than capable of making these parts locally-- an average university's Electrical Engineering department could as well.

If the guys at Boeing had thought about it a while, they probably could have designed out the part using China-made equivalents and avoided the whole ruckus.