PDA

View Full Version : Keep you eyes and ears open today

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Jul-07, 11:38 AM
I don't want to be a fear monger. But I do think that we should all be on alert today.

Fram
2005-Jul-07, 11:49 AM
Has this anything to do with the Lodon blasts, or is it just general fear mongering? Anyway, it has to be one of the least useful posts I've seen recently (apart from fun fluff).

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Jul-07, 11:50 AM
I'm sorry I made this post. Just upset. I hate crap like this.

Fram
2005-Jul-07, 11:54 AM
Allright. No problem. I'm upset as well, this is horrible. Sorry if I was a bit harsh.

Captain Kidd
2005-Jul-07, 11:56 AM
I kind of doubt it. They've succeded in getting attention.

The world is now focused on London; other countries will be abuzz tightening security; pundits will be all over TV. Basically, minor chaos will ensure, which you could say is one of their goals.

So I personally doubt we'll see anything else happen as the anticipation of another attack can cause greater fear than an actual attack. Worldwide people will be hampered trying to get to places (Washington DC has already started stepping up transit security which will mean more delays). The entire underground has been shut down is my understanding, so commuting into and out of London is going to be a pain. New laws, new concerns, they've made it back into the limelight. Money that could be going to more useful things will instead be tied up on security upgrades, so there's the economical angle. As I said, they've created chaos and won't do anything until it dies down and people stop thinking of it.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Jul-07, 12:01 PM
the whole point of terrorism is to create terror...looks like they've done that with me...I can remember shortly after 911...I was up on the 5th floor of the building where I work in downtown Halifax....and there was a plane flying really low and close by....I looked at the fellow I was talkng with...and we kind of just stared at each other....real long pause until the plane passed overhead....

Maksutov
2005-Jul-07, 12:16 PM
the whole point of terrorism is to create terror...looks like they've done that with me...I can remember shortly after 911...I was up on the 5th floor of the building where I work in downtown Halifax....and there was a plane flying really low and close by....I looked at the fellow I was talkng with...and we kind of just stared at each other....real long pause until the plane passed overhead....
That's exactly what you should not have done or be doing. Sometimes it's really necessary to use your mind, not your heart.

After abruptly terminating a staff meeting that Tuesday morning, I met with the plant manager (to whom I reported) back on 9/11/2001, where we discussed what should be done re the staff and the workforce. We agreed that we should continue normal operations, that any disruption would produce negative results, and also be exactly what the terrorist pigdogs wanted to achieve.

While we were discussing this, the website that his computer was linked to announced that the NFL had decided to cancel all games for the following weekend. "A victory for the terrorists." he said. I agreed.

Spacewriter
2005-Jul-07, 01:40 PM
FWIW, I've been working in NYC several days a week this summer and every time a plane flows low over the city, people glance up and follow it with their eyes until it's out of sight...

don't let the Secret Organization of Gutless Cowards of Al-Quaeda in Europe (or anywhere) win... they're already losers...

W.F. Tomba
2005-Jul-08, 05:43 AM
Number of people killed by terrorists in London this year: 37
Number of people killed by traffic accidents in London last year: 216

So yes, we should all keep our eyes and ears open--- for oncoming cars.

Don't be terrorized.

Enzp
2005-Jul-08, 06:19 AM
Around here,we use garlands of garlic to ward off the terrorists. So far it is working.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Jul-08, 02:36 PM
I think it is agreed that it has become much more difficult since 9-11 for the terrorists to engage in terror. Far from impossible, but more difficult. Bombings like London and Madrid probably take months to plan, and several more months to execute. I'd also guess that, though there are too many by any count, that there are not enough people in these organizations to pull off these types of attacks on any kind of regular basis. Certainly not with the law breathing down their necks constantly. I believe one report said that the British authorities have stopped 3 very serious and mature plots since 9-11.

Bottom line is that these attacks will be few and far between mainly because they are difficult to accomplish and terror resources are relatively thin (compared to law enforcement resources). The only reason they can achieve any level of success at all is because of their decentralized structure (no easily identifiable targets) and the element of surprise. They also will be relatively minor in nature (no disrespect intended to families of victims) unless, or until, they get their hands on WMDs.

If and when that happens, all bets are off. But that might be the only event that will make everyone involved in the Middle east take a serious look at resolving the root causes of terrorism. There is a distinction between fighting terrorism and preventing it. Kind of like the distinction between leading a healthy lifestyle versus getting treatment for a serious disease.

WaxRubiks
2005-Jul-08, 02:45 PM
The "terrorists" are more than lightly revelliing in the chaos that they have caused. They were probably walking around the streets with everyone else yesterday not in a cave somewhere in the M.East reading the Koran.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Jul-08, 03:00 PM
The "terrorists" are more than lightly revelliing in the chaos that they have caused. They were probably walking around the streets with everyone else yesterday not in a cave somewhere in the M.East reading the Koran.

Is that a question for me? (Proof?) Or is it just a part of your signature?

Agreed, they are enjoying their accomplishments, and they are living among us. It would be difficult to blow up things in the US or Europe from a cave in the Middle East.

WaxRubiks
2005-Jul-08, 03:05 PM

Is that a question for me? (Proof?) Or is it just a part of your signature?

Agreed, they are enjoying their accomplishments, and they are living among us. It would be difficult to blow up things in the US or Europe from a cave in the Middle East.

yes, it is part of the sig. perhaps I should change that.

I just ment that there would be no fun for them to blow up anything else while they can revel in what they have already done.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Jul-08, 06:57 PM
Thanks Frog march. Sorry for the confusion. In a bit of a mood today. I was listening to the radio trying to get some hard info on what was happening in London and the waves were about 90% tough-talking right wing extremists talkshow hosts pounding their chests and demanding the use of nuclear weapons. I'm not kidding. The most popular morning radio guy in our area (Mpls-St Paul) was seriously advocating we use nukes as a way to resolve things.

It's so ironic to hear them ranting and raving about wanting non-Americans to just get out of our part of the world and stay out, without them ever even considering that that is precisely what they would like us to do also.

For our friends in the UK, my thoughts are with you.

p.s. - And nu-que-ler is not an accepted pronunciation here, regardless of how many past or current presidents display their lack of language skills by mispronouncing it.

Swift
2005-Jul-08, 07:10 PM
Thanks Frog march. Sorry for the confusion. In a bit of a mood today. I was listening to the radio trying to get some hard info on what was happening in London and the waves were about 90% tough-talking right wing extremists talkshow hosts pounding their chests and demanding the use of nuclear weapons. I'm not kidding. The most popular morning radio guy in our area (Mpls-St Paul) was seriously advocating we use nukes as a way to resolve things.
Just out of a morbid sense of curiosity, but where exactly would they propose that we drop these nukes, that would just kill terrorists and not kill more innocents than the attacks in either New York or London killed? :roll: :evil:

Van Rijn
2005-Jul-08, 07:27 PM
Just out of a morbid sense of curiosity, but where exactly would they propose that we drop these nukes, that would just kill terrorists and not kill more innocents than the attacks in either New York or London killed? :roll: :evil:

Well, after 9/11, Kabul was the popular choice. I argued with people that normally seem pretty level headed over this. Mostly, it is an expression of extreme anger, and I suspect that most of the people that say it, if they actually could push the button, wouldn't actually do it. Without even worrying about the morality or innocent lives lost, I see it as an incredibly dumb move - if you think terrorism is bad now, just wait until you nuke a city.

It won't happen for these type of events, but if there ever is a terrorist nuke or major terrorist bioattack, all bets are off.

Swift
2005-Jul-08, 09:08 PM
<snip>
I argued with people that normally seem pretty level headed over this. Mostly, it is an expression of extreme anger, and I suspect that most of the people that say it, if they actually could push the button, wouldn't actually do it.
Sure, its one thing if my buddy says "we should nuke all of them" over a couple of beers.

The most popular morning radio guy in our area (Mpls-St Paul) was seriously advocating we use nukes as a way to resolve things.
It's another thing if a radio DJ says this.

Gillianren
2005-Jul-08, 09:10 PM
my ren faire boss advocates dropping a nuke (nuke-lee-ar weapon) somewhere in the desert of Iraq. (he listens to Rush Limbaugh; I talk politics with him less than I would even talk about them here!) just, apparently, to show that we could. does not seem to understand why that's a really, really, really bad idea.