PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying movie/TV show

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Jul-09, 07:01 PM
Folks-

I'm writing an article for a magazine, and there is a quotation I'd like to include. The problem is I have only a vague recollection of it. I can't even remember if it's from a TV show or movie!

There are (at least) two people talking, and they're discussing some doomsday scenario about to unfold:

Person 1: It's the end of the world!

Person 2: No, it isn't.

[Look of relief on Person 1's face]

Person 2 (continuing): It's just the end of life on Earth. The Earth itself will be fine.

[Look of shock on Person 1's face]

Any clues? I keep thinking it's from Dr. Who, but I can't remember! I'd love to get this right (with the attribution) for my article if I can.

Any ideas?

Melusine
2005-Jul-09, 07:08 PM
You can look here for LOTS of Dr. Who quotes:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0056751/quotes

Edit add: Heh, heh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Doctor: You're working for a madman, you know.
Scorby: He pays well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Doctor: Listen, there are no measurements in infinity. You humans have got such limited little minds. I don't know why I like you so much.
Sarah: Because you have such good taste.
The Doctor: That's true. That's very true.

The Doctor: There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.

The Doctor: Gentlemen, I have news for you. This lighthouse is under attack and by morning we might all be dead. Anyone interested?

Edit add: I don't see what you're looking for, but the quotes there seem to fit the scenario you have in mind. Hmm.

Melusine
2005-Jul-09, 07:23 PM
Lol, I'm getting such a kick out of these quotes: :P

The Doctor: Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable.

R.A.F.
2005-Jul-09, 07:52 PM
It "sounds" like something that "could" have been said (are those enough qualifiers?:)) on the "new" Outer Limits adaptation of Larry Niven's story, The Inconstant Moon.

Though that's fairly recent and I imagine what you're looking for is older, or you would remember it. :wink:

Melusine
2005-Jul-09, 08:04 PM
The Doctor reminds me of Maksutov, :P (I still can't find a reference to the BA's quote).

Stor: I am Commander Stor of the Sontaran Special Space Service.
The Doctor: The SSS. Eh, isn't that carrying alliteration a little far?

The Doctor: Excuse me, what's your attitude towards the nature of existence? For example, do you hold any theological opinions? I think you'll find that most educated people regard mythical convictions as fundamentally animistic... Personally, I find most experiences border on the existential. How would you reconcile that with the empirio-critical belief that experience is at the root of all phenomena? I think you'll find that a concept can be philosophically valid even if theologically meaningless.

Ace: Don't you have things you hate?
The Doctor: I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations - terrible places, full of lost luggage and lost souls. And then there's unrequited love, and tyranny, and cruelty.
Ace: Too right.
The Doctor: We all have a world of our own terrors to face.
Ace: I face mine on my own terms!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Doctor: Never cared much for the word "impregnable." Sounds a bit too much like "unsinkable."
Harry: What's wrong with "unsinkable"?
The Doctor: Nothing. As the iceberg said to the Titanic.
Harry: What?
The Doctor: Gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop.

Superluminal
2005-Jul-10, 12:27 AM
"Dr. Strangelove" perhaps?

sarongsong
2005-Jul-10, 01:25 AM
Radio?
From Naked Ape to Superspecies (http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/1999/dec/991215a.html)

WaxRubiks
2005-Jul-10, 01:37 AM
Edge of darkness the BBC series, where a woman is talking about Gaia.

it is a detective(main character) talking to the ghost of his dead daughter who was a environmental activist. I could be wrong...

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00004CYR0.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Maha Vailo
2005-Jul-10, 08:12 AM
Radio?
From Naked Ape to Superspecies (http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/1999/dec/991215a.html)

Veering OT, would Earth really be better off if humanity disappeared from the face of the earth, or would the results of humanity's disappearance be just as bad as (taking the example in the link) the disappearnce of the ants? Are humans really a "cancer" on the planet?

And no, I can't help you with the movie/TV show/radio show title. Are you sure you didn't imagine/dream this up?

- Maha (love the Doctor Who quotes) Vailo

Tranquility
2005-Jul-10, 05:44 PM
Although the BA ought to use George Carlin's rhetoric on the subject instead :D :

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles...hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worlwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages...And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet...the planet...the planet isn't going anywhere. WE ARE!

We're going away. Pack your ****, folks. We're going away. And we won't leave much of a trace, either. Thank God for that. Maybe a little styrofoam. Maybe. A little styrofoam. The planet'll be here and we'll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet'll shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance.

Roy Batty
2005-Jul-10, 06:52 PM
Edge of darkness the BBC series, where a woman is talking about Gaia.
Woh! Can't confirm if you're right or not but I love that series, saw it when it was originally shown & have never managed to see it all the way through again (when it is very occasionally shown it's ususally on some obscure cable channel at a bizarre hour).

Paul Beardsley
2005-Jul-10, 08:30 PM
I can say with certainty that it is not Doctor Who, enjoyable though those quotes are.

Edge of Darkness sounds right. It was great drama, but the portrayal of Gaia was considered a bit "off" - and in fact when it was first broadcast the continuity announcer had to mention that the Gaia Movement in the series had nothing to do with the real-life Gaia (as in James Lovelock). The fictional Gaia people were eco-terrorists.

The original post reminds me of a little known Philip K. Dick story, in which an ordinary guy is aware that the insects are planning to destroy humanity. The spiders are our allies, and they can speak to this ordinary guy. As he finds himself trapped inside an old house with several billion crazed insects trying to get in to kill him, one of the spiders tells him, "Don't worry, we'll be able to save you." He's reassured at first, but there are just so many insects trying to get in that he's forced to ask, "Are you sure you can save me?" The two spiders then look at each other embarrassed. "Er, when we said we could save you, we meant you as a species." The man then nods, apologises for misunderstanding, and prepares to die.

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Jul-10, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the help here, but I've never heard or seen those other shows, so I know that's not it.

Hrmph.

George
2005-Jul-11, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the help here, but I've never heard or seen those other shows, so I know that's not it.

Hrmph.

Seriously, you've never seen Dr. Who? Great stuff! I can still remember the theme song, though it's been many years. I presume cell phones stopped all interstellar travel. :wink:

I only can caugh up one place with your quotes. It's a forum - The Sagebrush Saloon (http://www.sierratimes.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=13&topic=60&start=50). [top paragraph]

George
2005-Jul-11, 03:32 AM
Do you think it was an asteroid impact scenario?

A Deep Impact (http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/reviews/cl-movie980507-2.story) maybe?

or another scenario, such as Day After Tomorrow, maybe?

sarongsong
2005-Jul-11, 04:41 AM
The Matrix (I, II or III)?

AGN Fuel
2005-Jul-11, 07:30 AM
It sounds very 'Hitchhikers', - could it have been from the TV series?

(I always loved the bartender suggesting it would be a stroke of luck for Arsenal if the world did come to an end, given their chances in the match that afternoon. As a Hammers supporter. I have often felt that way! :D )