PDA

View Full Version : I'll be on the radio tonight!

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Jul-10, 10:43 PM
I will be on the radio show Are We Alone? (http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=178892) with SETI astronomer Seth Shostak tonight, Sunday July 10, at 7:00 p.m. Pacific time. We'll be discussing the new movie "War of the Worlds", including my Bad Astronomy review of it (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/waroftheworlds.html).

DoktorGreg
2005-Jul-10, 11:32 PM
You missed a point in the review.

Right after the lightning strike, and the EMP attack on the city, people are seen using digital cameras and camcorders to record the emergence of the tripod. If everything else electronic is burnt out, shouldnt digital cameras and camcorders be burnt out also?

The other thing is the end... When Cruise was walking up the street to his ex's house with the brownstones, it simply didnt make sense. I think somehting happened in post production to add on this ending because it was simply wrong, and didnt make sense at all.

John Dlugosz
2005-Jul-11, 03:27 PM
You missed a point in the review.

Right after the lightning strike, and the EMP attack on the city, people are seen using digital cameras and camcorders to record the emergence of the tripod. If everything else electronic is burnt out, shouldnt digital cameras and camcorders be burnt out also?

The other thing is the end... When Cruise was walking up the street to his ex's house with the brownstones, it simply didnt make sense. I think somehting happened in post production to add on this ending because it was simply wrong, and didnt make sense at all.

My idea about the camcorders, besides the one where they simply goofed, is that he had it convientiently stored in a Faraday cage. Would an ordinary metal box or safe do the trick?

Moose
2005-Jul-11, 04:12 PM
Well, it depends. An EMP would change the current in an active processor, which would cause whatever program it was running to crash.

Magnetic media (video tapes, miniature hard drives) would probably suffer garbling, but could be salvaged. Solid state cards (CF, SD, xD cards) would likely survive.

As for the camcorder or digicam itself, if its ROM is solid state, it should come back up okay (although the screen might be dead.)

The main reason EMPs are a threat at all is that bringing power and electronics-based communications systems online is a non-trivial endevor.

indie85
2005-Jul-11, 06:15 PM
Its stupid because it also effects his mechanical watch and thats bust when it should be fine. But then theres the video camera that works fine, also shouldnt all the spare starters at that garage als be bust? Then theres their car which is the only thing untouched by a plane crashing into their house they were hiding in. Also we have Toms son who mysteriously survives a hill we see fireballed, moments after he entered the area. etc The film is unforgivabley full of stuff like this, the writer should be shot.

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Jul-11, 06:21 PM
The SETI was a nice idea but I think Shostak is a little to ambitious

we should pick up a signal (from intelligent aliens) by the year 2025," says Seth Shostak

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=304509#304509

I don't think a real ET attack on Earth would be anything like the War of the Worlds but its still a great book and very good film 8)

Cougar
2005-Jul-11, 07:02 PM
I will be on the radio show Are We Alone? (http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=178892) with SETI astronomer Seth Shostak tonight, Sunday July 10, at 7:00 p.m. Pacific time.
Whew. I'm glad it's not at 8:00 pm PDT. Guns, Germs, and Steel starts at 9:00 pm MDT on PBS.

Taks
2005-Jul-11, 07:42 PM
The main reason EMPs are a threat at all is that bringing power and electronics-based communications systems online is a non-trivial endevor.
uh, actually, solid state has issues... the main problem is that an EMP of sufficient strength will burn out the tiny transistors in any solid-state product. tubes don't have this problem... older systems, with much larger feature sizes, are more resistant to such effects, but still susceptible within a certain proximity of the pulse. any FLASH based technology such as the keyfobs, probably has larger features BUT, they will certainly lose their data.

FWIW, current technologies are at 90 nm (and lower) feature sizes. they are suddenly even having single event upsets (particle upsets) at sea level, a problem that previously only occurred in space.

taks

ps: being the ever observant engineer with his head in the clouds, a non-engineering friend "in the industry" actually had to point this out to me... :)

mickal555
2005-Jul-12, 03:17 AM
Is this a podcast...?

I think I'll download it when I get home from school then. :D