PDA

View Full Version : Does Deep Impact Crater Indicate Manmade?

RBG
2005-Jul-12, 06:27 PM
Thought exercise for today:

A thousand years from now, would an advanced ET be able to analyse the Deep Impact crater and determine that it was manmade (...personmade/humanmade/hu-person-made/hu-per-sibling-made)?

(Forgetting for the moment that it might be easier for them just to Google the info on Earth.)

RBG

Tuckerfan
2005-Jul-12, 06:41 PM
That depends upon how much (if anything) of the impactor is left, and how much of the comet has eroded away from it's passage round the sun, I'd think.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jul-12, 06:44 PM
Barring the discovery of a large chunk of impactor, I would think that the crater is indistinguishable from a meteoroid impact (do you call a meteoroid that has landed on something other than Earth a meteorite, I wonder?).

RBG
2005-Jul-13, 12:05 AM
Do you think when the impactor was destroyed it could have left traces of the copper in some unnatural way? Was the impactor pure natural elemental copper?

RBG

Grey
2005-Jul-13, 01:04 AM
Do you think when the impactor was destroyed it could have left traces of the copper in some unnatural way? Was the impactor pure natural elemental copper?
The impactor was about 50% pure copper by weight, which in itself is pretty unnatural. I'd expect you'd get a layer of copper on the comet that would stand out pretty clearly (similar to the excess iridium in certain strata here on Earth that lends credence to the idea of a meteorite impact). But remember that while on Earth, more material piles up and buries old strata, on a comet material leaves with every pass around the Sun. With a period of only 5.68 years, Tempel 1 will have made a lot of passes in a thousand years, and I'm not sure a thin layer of copper on the surface would survive.