PDA

View Full Version : Brit Music Invasion II---wishful thinking?

sarongsong
2005-Jul-15, 07:38 AM
Local (San Diego) FOX-TV (http://www.fox6.com/foxrox/weekly/story.aspx?content_id=04BAE4B5-5581-4D86-B0C9-42280F45705B) lists several bands they consider on their way (The Futureheads and Bloc Party they rate #1 and #2)---anyone familiar with the bands on this list?

captain swoop
2005-Jul-15, 08:00 AM
Kaiser Chiefs are OK but they are just a Rip off of the 'Jam' cfrom the 70s. Well, a rip of from Paul Weller in general. They were on the USA Live8 concert.
Keane are OK if a bit wet and Kasabian are decent. can't comment on the others.

snowcelt
2005-Jul-15, 08:04 AM
How do you say wishful thinking in English?

sarongsong
2005-Jul-15, 08:11 AM
Good idea! <...changes thread title...> :P

Parrothead
2005-Jul-15, 11:33 AM
Haven't heard of any of those bands (don't listen to the radio much these days), but shouldn't it be brit invasion III? Brit invasion II happened in the late 70's-early 80's with a slew of punk, ska and "new wave" artists. :D

Yorkshireman
2005-Jul-15, 11:54 AM
Futureheads are good. They did a cracking cover-version of Kate Bush Hounds of Love. I like Keane and the Kaiser Chiefs as well.

No Razorlight? Shame.

Astrobairn
2005-Jul-15, 11:01 PM
Razorlight - utterly awful
Futureheads - tuneless
Bloc Party - overstyled nonsense
Kaiser Chiefs - a horrible resemblence to the awful mid 90s band Menswe@r
Kasabian - not too bad
Keane - OK for a shower of bedwetters
Franz Ferdinand - Couple of good tunes, but not much depth on the album

Best (big) British band at the moment are probably the be Coral closely followed by Coldplay.

None of them can hold a candle to Belle and Sebastian though (Scottish indie is rather good :wink: )

However given that due to the wierd set-up of US radio only the bland can succeed.

AndrewGPaul
2005-Jul-15, 11:08 PM
I just don't get Coldplay - whiny, boring nonsense, IMO, totally unoriginal. However, that seems to be a minority opinion. :)

Astrobairn
2005-Jul-15, 11:09 PM
I just don't get Coldplay - whiny, boring nonsense, IMO, totally unoriginal. However, that seems to be a minority opinion. :)

I would advice against buying a Keane album then :wink:

AndrewGPaul
2005-Jul-15, 11:15 PM
Actually, there's no new music around that I'd dignify by buying - the latest Alabama 3 album is the only new release I've picked up in a year or so now. Although, I'm told the new Idlewild album is good - might give it a whirl.

sarongsong
2005-Jul-15, 11:30 PM
What about Charlotte Church? Heard she went pop, but as Astrobairn pointed out, U.S. radio leaves much to be desired (one exception (http://www.kpig.com/)), so haven't heard if she's making the cross-over successfully or not---what a voice!

Astrobairn
2005-Jul-15, 11:31 PM
Actually, there's no new music around that I'd dignify by buying - the latest Alabama 3 album is the only new release I've picked up in a year or so now. Although, I'm told the new Idlewild album is good - might give it a whirl.

I really like Idlewild's earlier stuff but I thought the new one was tuneless and lacked spark. The Remote Part is a cracking album. I agree though, hardly listened to ny "new" music this year, just getting old :(

paulie jay
2005-Jul-16, 02:21 AM
Franz Ferdinand - Couple of good tunes, but not much depth on the album Aren't they Australian?? :-?

Astrobairn
2005-Jul-16, 03:20 PM
Franz Ferdinand - Couple of good tunes, but not much depth on the album Aren't they Australian?? :-?

No they're from Glasgow.

paulie jay
2005-Jul-16, 10:16 PM
Oh good, that's sorted out then. :)

enginelessjohn
2005-Jul-17, 12:24 AM
Razorlight? Shall I bring up the subject of Television again?..... :evil:

Charlotte Church? Be greatful for the Atlantic. If you are lucky it will keep her new stuff from you. It really is awful the couple of singles I've heard.

Astrobairn is pretty much on the money with Belle and Sebastian though. If you ever find a copy of Lazy Line Painter Jane, you will weep with joy. And guess who has tickets to see them at the Barbican in September?

Cheers
John

Astrobairn
2005-Jul-17, 12:57 AM
Astrobairn is pretty much on the money with Belle and Sebastian though. If you ever find a copy of Lazy Line Painter Jane, you will weep with joy. And guess who has tickets to see them at the Barbican in September?

Got it on the compilation album. Not as good as "Is it Wicked Not to Care"

Just got reccommended Ballboy by a mate, in a similar vein and very good.

Yes I am hijacking this thread.

Fram
2005-Jul-18, 08:20 AM
I like Belle and Sebastian. I think Franz Ferdinand is one the best debuts of the last few years though.
One recent album I thoroughly enjoyed is the latest (double) album by Eels.

captain swoop
2005-Jul-18, 08:48 AM

I would bring them up as well, along with my lunch. :evil:

enginelessjohn
2005-Jul-18, 09:00 AM

I would bring them up as well, along with my lunch. :evil:

:D :D :D

You've got to love a discussion on something as subjective as music on a scientific board.... :D

Cheers
John

mid
2005-Jul-18, 09:24 AM
Futureheads - Not too bad, apart from that Hounds Of Love cover that should be banned under the Geneva Convention.
Franz - Love 'em, though nothing else quite matches up to the promise of their first two singles yet.
Kasabian - Not really feeling it yet; seems a bit to blatantly recycling the Roses and the Mondays when I've still got the originals on the shelf.
Coldplay - Adored Rush Of Blood To The Head, but the new album sounds far too much like U2. Who I utterly detest.
Keane - Some good stuff, some poor.
Embrace are back, and the single that Chris Martin wrote for them is far, far superior to anything his own band have done this year.
The Killers may be from Las Vegas, but sound so much like Echo & The Bunnymen that they might as well count here. The first half of the album is marvellous, the second half is dire, so we'll see.

Oh, and there are few bands in the world I hate (not even U2) as much as Belle & Sebastian. Whiny bunch of third rate nonsense for people who find Teenage Fanclub albums too upbeat. Far too pleased with themselves, too.

captain swoop
2005-Jul-18, 10:10 AM
Oh, and there are few bands in the world I hate (not even U2) as much as Belle & Sebastian. Whiny bunch of third rate nonsense for people who find Teenage Fanclub albums too upbeat. Far too pleased with themselves, too.

I hatte them just for their name.

What about the Zutons? I like them, they remind me of the Beautiful South which is no bad thing.

Astrobairn
2005-Jul-18, 11:01 AM

I hatte them just for their name.

What about the Zutons? I like them, they remind me of the Beautiful South which is no bad thing.

Belle & Sebastian, just brilliant, well arranged pop (like a better version of the Beauiful South). I don't get this whiney Indie thing, OK Stuart Murdoch can be a wee bit mumbling anyone who considers Isobel Campbell's voice to be whiney is clearly deaf. [-X