PDA

View Full Version : Where were you 36 years ago?

John Kierein
2005-Jul-15, 01:56 PM
I was in Colorado starting work on Skylab's Astronomy & Space Science experiments at Martin Marietta. Those were the days.

http://tinyurl.com/b6t3b

Arneb
2005-Jul-15, 02:03 PM
In bed - I had been born 9 months ago. At least my father was watching... :)

Tensor
2005-Jul-15, 02:15 PM
Watching TV, I was a Junior in HS.

SeanF
2005-Jul-15, 02:22 PM
11 months for me. I'm sure my parents were watching, as well. :)

jrkeller
2005-Jul-15, 02:38 PM
I was 7 1/2 years old and in the back seat of my parents car as we drove to our vacation location. I spent six hours in the back seat with my feet up on our black and white TV. Five days later I saw the first moon walk. =D> =D>

Stardate
2005-Jul-15, 02:38 PM
I was in the club called the Terrible Twos, and my parents were clueless. :roll:

jfribrg
2005-Jul-15, 02:48 PM
I was 6 at the time. I don't recall watching it lift off. My grandfather had died 3 days before, so the lift off may have conflicted with the family concerns, but I don't specifically remember. I didn't get to see the landing either. My parents were worried that the lunar module would crash and didn't want me traumatized by watching it. I'm still mad that I wasn't allowed to watch it.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Jul-15, 03:02 PM
at the bootleggers with my Dad (seriously) scarey time of life for me...

Maksutov
2005-Jul-15, 03:06 PM
I was in Colorado starting work on Skylab's Astronomy & Space Science experiments at Martin Marietta. Those were the days.

http://tinyurl.com/b6t3b
Isn't this a day early?

But, re July 16, 1969, I was living in an apartment working at a summer job between my junior and senior years at Columbia University in NYC. Watched the launch on a tiny B&W TV.

Always liked the idea that the command module and my college had the same name.

Pretty sure my pulse remained elevated until the splashdown on the 24th. :D

gethen
2005-Jul-15, 03:38 PM
Sitting in my parents' living room with the rest of the family, including my future husband. Seems like yesterday.

ToSeek
2005-Jul-15, 03:44 PM
Watching the moonwalk was one of the first times in my life I got to stay up until after midnight. I was ten years old.

pumpkinpie
2005-Jul-15, 03:53 PM
My parents had been dating for about a month, and they were married by Christmas of that year!

I've asked them before where they were, but I've forgotten. :( I'll have to again. I don't think they were together.

Chuck
2005-Jul-15, 04:08 PM
I had just graduated from high school and was doing absolutely nothing. A television was within my field of view.

2005-Jul-15, 04:09 PM
Working at Pine Mountain in Oregon, working on my dissertation research (observation of what became called RS CVn systems) and supervising three undergrads in the completion of a light curve (perhaps one of the best ever observed) of EE Peg. I took an image of the moon while the crew was outside the LM which showed up on the front page of the Bend Or. newspaper.

Kesh
2005-Jul-15, 04:39 PM
I wasn't. :o

Taks
2005-Jul-15, 04:42 PM
11 months for me, too.
taks

Eta C
2005-Jul-15, 06:11 PM
In front of the TV in the living room, watching with awe. Unfortunately, bedtime came before the end of the EVA (I was 9). Dad stayed up and watched the whole thing, even down to when they tossed out the last trash before lifting off.

Moose
2005-Jul-15, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't have been so much as a naughty glint in my father's eyes for another three and a half years.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jul-15, 06:19 PM

Me too! I just wasn't around.

N C More
2005-Jul-15, 07:02 PM
I watched in my friend's family room. We had a "moon party" later on during the landing. I was 18, just out of High School and living on Long Island.

BTW, I attended a party at Columbia that summer...I can't help but wonder if I missed meeting Maksutov there!? My girlfriend went on to attend Columbia, I went to Syracuse. :D Great times back then!

Kristophe
2005-Jul-15, 07:13 PM

Ditto

Kebsis
2005-Jul-15, 07:17 PM
I was working for the government, bro.

Gullible Jones
2005-Jul-15, 07:45 PM
Nonexistant. And in case you want to know: no, I don't remember what it was like. :P

Swift
2005-Jul-15, 07:51 PM
I was 10 years old and glued to the TV. 1969 was a great year for me: the moon landing and the Mets won the World Series. :D

Paul Mitchell
2005-Jul-15, 08:10 PM
I was 4, but I think I can remember the "One small step for man" on the obligatory B/W TV.

Gillianren
2005-Jul-15, 08:19 PM
I wasn't, either, and wouldn't be for seven years. my parents hadn't met yet; I don't know where Mom was, but Dad was stationed in the Air Force somewhere--don't know if he watched it, and by the time I was interested, he was dead. (I know where my mom was when Kennedy was shot, but not Dad. just 'cause I was six when he died, I didn't get to ask any of the important questions.)

Van Rijn
2005-Jul-15, 08:20 PM
We were in Lincoln, Nebraska. As for the moon landing - For this event, we (my parents and I) camped out around the TV, and it was never turned off. I had special dispensation to stay up as long as I could keep my eyes open. I had been interested in space practically since I was out of diapers, but this was the first space mission I can clearly remember.

At one point I remember walking out with my mother, looking up at the moon, and saying with total awe, "There are people up there!"

A'a
2005-Jul-15, 08:54 PM
A long way off from being...

Swift
2005-Jul-15, 09:52 PM
At one point I remember walking out with my mother, looking up at the moon, and saying with total awe, "There are people up there!"
Very 8)

sarongsong
2005-Jul-15, 11:57 PM
The Indian Room of The Awahnee Hotel, Yosemite..."So I called up the Captain, 'Please bring me my wine',
He said, 'We haven't had that spirit (http://www.mp3lyrics.org/e/eagles/hotel-california/) here since nineteen sixty nine'..."

paulie jay
2005-Jul-16, 02:13 AM
Swimming -Ii was born in 1970!

Chuck
2005-Jul-16, 05:58 AM
The Internet Movie Database lists five people being born on July 20, 1969 and two people dying. I don't recognize any of their names.

http://www.imdb.com/OnThisDay?day=20&month=July

Enzp
2005-Jul-16, 06:51 AM
I was touring the Eastern US, went to some large rock concerts, decided to pass on the one in Woodstock, NY. (Yep, I was a dummy) Had a car crash near RUmford Maine. Watched the moon landing on the TV in some nice people's apartment there.

DukePaul
2005-Jul-16, 09:19 AM
I was trying to be a very cool thirteen year old on the sandy beaches of St. Simon Island , Georgia. I probably wasn't very cool but it was a great time of my life.

ngc3314
2005-Jul-16, 07:17 PM
During their approach to landing, I had taken over the living room of the house we were still moving in to, so as to have room to spread out the USGS lunar maps and follow the likely scenery as they dropped over the mare surface. Watched CBS, still remember Cronkite's "man on the moon!, and
staying up late to watch the whole EVA.

Two years later, I talked my parents into scheduling a Florida vacation to include the launch of Apollo 15. Most of us may never see the like of a Saturn V litoff again...

iron4
2005-Jul-17, 12:00 AM

Ditto

I was not born yet, I'm 29 actually

Meteora
2005-Jul-17, 06:40 AM
As I recall (hopefully correctly), my parents and I were on vacation and were in southern Wyoming, probably Rawlins. We had the TV on. :)

I was 9. :o

Laurie
2005-Jul-17, 08:20 PM
Was a junior in high school.

Was glued to my family's B/W TV set watching the moon landing and walk. My mother worked in the aerospace industry for Rohr Aircraft in National City where she helped work on the Gemini and early Apollo programs.

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Jul-19, 01:30 AM
Dad and me and my three brothers'n'sister (two more sisters to come in later years) in the basement watching that old Zenith console black&white tube...Mom was at work as a nurse at the hospital, but she said she was able to watch the MoonWalk in someone's room...