PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Canuck! (for a couple days)

Taks
2005-Jul-20, 07:28 AM
arrived in vancouver earlier this evening.

absolutely beautiful.

couple things to mention...

the busses are odd. electric, with an odd power system.
ate at an excellent chinese restaurant called Kirin tonight. i was out of place by myself (family style establishment).
the jolly alderman is a cool place to drink a pint. oddly, i ran into some canucks that wanted to talk politics (hehe). after the criticisms of bush were aside (they apologized, i accepted) it turns out our (US) northern neighbors actually think pretty much the same way as we do (in general).
quite interesting.

anyway, wow, what a big city. i never knew. different, but the same. learn something new every day. either way, a day of VITA meetings await. cheers all (that's what the customs agents said "Cheers!").

taks

Maksutov
2005-Jul-20, 07:46 AM
Take off, eh?

[edit]

anyway, wow, what a big city. i never knew. different, but the same. learn something new every day. either way, a day of VITA meetings await. cheers all (that's what the customs agents said "Cheers!").

taks
Keep us updated on the current state of the herring business, if you would.

Plus enjoy your visit. Any Canuck hockey training camps open yet? :)

Taks
2005-Jul-20, 07:58 AM
not up on herring, but i can see what seems to be the canuck's arena from my balcony (plaza 500 hotel). still buzzed on some local ale (they must've put something in it, like alchohol maybe) so i can't be more specific! :)

taks

snowcelt
2005-Jul-20, 08:16 AM
I was always struck be the size of Vancouver Washington.

TriangleMan
2005-Jul-20, 10:59 AM
They still have pubs in Vancouver? I think that buzz from your 'ale' was the caffeine from the macchiato you were served. :D

snowcelt
2005-Jul-20, 11:41 AM
They still have pubs in Vancouver? I think that buzz from your 'ale' was the caffeine from the macchiato you were served. :D

What is a macchiato? A type of Kauphy?

SeanF
2005-Jul-20, 01:27 PM
after the criticisms of bush were aside (they apologized, i accepted) it turns out our (US) northern neighbors actually think pretty much the same way as we do (in general).
How's that? We don't think pretty much the same way as we do (in general)! ;)

(Reminds me - before we went to China earlier this year, we received some documentation from the agency on what to pack, etc. It gave us the very helpful information that the weather in China is very similar to the weather in the United States. #-o )

Have a great trip, Taks! Never been to Canada myself . . .

TriangleMan
2005-Jul-20, 01:28 PM
Macchiato (http://www.pochendorfer.com/macchiato/macchiato.html)

Vancouver is so inundated with coffee places like Starbucks that pubs are hard to find downtown.

Parrothead
2005-Jul-20, 02:32 PM
...but i can see what seems to be the canuck's arena from my balcony...

The hockey arena is the one that doesn't look like a marshmallow in bondage. :wink:

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jul-20, 02:32 PM

Fuel cell, I think.

gopher65
2005-Jul-20, 02:52 PM

Fuel cell, I think.

Really? I hadn't heard that Vancover was one of the cities piloting fuel cell buses. Did you notice any difference with them?

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jul-20, 02:56 PM
I don't know. Never been out west. I saw it on the Discovery Channel. :)

Taks
2005-Jul-21, 05:48 AM
electric busses, actually. they have a double cable suspendered over the streets (right lane, kinda) and the busses have a couple long poles that extend up and manage to stay grabbed on.

ate at the cactus club tonight, very good steak. i'm enjoying my stay. oh, and by "think like we do" i meant the folks i've met are equally diverse in the way they see the world (though the bush jabs are much more common here :) )

taks

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jul-21, 02:38 PM
electric busses, actually. they have a double cable suspendered over the streets (right lane, kinda) and the busses have a couple long poles that extend up and manage to stay grabbed on.

Huh. I must be thinking about Quebec City, then. So, kind of like streetcars, eh?

peter eldergill
2005-Jul-21, 06:28 PM
My brother works at Ballard Power Systems in Vancouver. There are prototype fuel cell busses around, but not too many I think.

Vancouver is a wonderful city. Try to go to Stanley Park and check out the massive trees. Also see if you can go up Grouse Mountain. Very nice. Kitsalano Beach (sp?) is also an attraction

L8R

Pete

Taks
2005-Jul-21, 07:18 PM
unfortunately, i did not have time for any real sightseeing. i'm already at the airport watching my laptop battery disappear like an egg timer. fortunately, i have juuuuust enough left to make this post! :)

taks

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Jul-22, 12:09 AM
...the busses are odd. electric, with an odd power system...

What's so odd about 'em? We've had trolleys here since 1888.

http://www.daytontrolleys.net/pictures/preflyer/vol1/m_526_5s_brownpennsy_720805.jpg
I rode these monsters to school when I was a kid...(this pic is taken across the street from the original site of The Computoid Help Desk, and just a block up the street from where I went to grade school...)

http://www.daytontrolleys.net/pictures/eti/vol2/m_9847_unk_nb_mainthird_19991227.jpg
We got newer models now...and right behind it is a Diesel model...

Those buses were the quickest things on the streets of Dayton when I was a kid. An electric motor develops max torque from a dead stop -- you wouldn't believe how fast those beasts would come off the line. They're still not too bad when the light goes green...

There are only five US cities that have trolley buses, and we'uns is one of 'em...

W.F. Tomba
2005-Jul-22, 02:03 AM
There are only five US cities that have trolley buses, and we'uns is one of 'em...
Boston has them, and I think San Francisco does as well. So what are the other two?

Taks
2005-Jul-22, 09:52 PM
What's so odd about 'em? We've had trolleys here since 1888.
if i'm not mistaken, most trollies in the US are on tracks. these busses were real busses. they had two poles that reached up to the cables and managed to hold on, even with the bus changing lanes. that's what was odd about it. i'm not sure how they managed to grip the cables like that. intersections were a real mess as well, particularly when there were several ways to turn. all in all, i realize there may be some energy efficiency, but at the cost of an extremely ugly system.

taks