PDA

View Full Version : Room with an Out-Of-This-World View

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Jul-20, 10:39 AM
The world's ultimate observation deck, a control tower for robotics in space, and a sunroom like no other is already at NASA's Kennedy Space Center (KSC). It is bound for the International Space Station. "The Cupola module will be a fascinating addition to the Space Station," said International Space Station Program Manager Bill Gerstenmaier. "The crew will have an improved view of critical activities outside the Station and breathtaking views of the Earth below." The Cupola is an observation and control tower for the International Space Station (ISS), with windows that provide a panoramic view through which operations on the outside of the Station can be observed and guided
http://www.astronews.com/news/bilder/2004/0409-004.jpg
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/shuttle/f_cupola.html
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/objects/images/iss_cupola_module_400.jpg
Ownership of the European-built Cupola observation module for the International Space Station (ISS) was officially transferred to NASA on 7 July 2005. The signature, which took place at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida marks the conclusion of ESA’s obligations for the Cupola’s development as part of a bilateral barter agreement between ESA and NASA. Space Station crews use two robotic control workstations in the Destiny laboratory to operate the arm. One of the robotic control stations will be placed inside the Cupola. The view from the Cupola will enhance an arm operator's situational awareness, supplementing television cameras and graphics.

Swift
2005-Jul-20, 01:36 PM
Very 8) . I'd pay extra for a room with that view.

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Jul-21, 02:32 AM
...oh man...turn them inside lights out, and turn me loose with a 35mm camera...wow... :o

Samara
2005-Jul-21, 02:37 AM
I believe I read they were going to add that in an issue of PopSci that was disscussing that when the ISS had outlived its usefulness, it could be turned into a space hotel by some future Bill Gates. When they do...

I CALL DIBS ON THE ROOM WITH THE CUPOLA!

Ithildin
2005-Jul-22, 02:32 AM
...when the ISS had outlived its usefulness, it could be turned into a space hotel by some future Bill Gates....

i imagine that will be quite a while from now though when its realtively affordable
:cry:

if someone from the future reads this, take me back with you in your time machine so i can check that view out :D

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Jul-22, 07:33 AM
more information here

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/iss-05zzzh.html

It will provide a unique control and viewpoint for robotic work undertaken outside of the ISS and a welcome view of Earth for the Station crews.

kucharek
2005-Jul-22, 09:03 AM
The question is: Will it ever be launched?
It is not a piece of equipment that is absolutely neccessary for the ISS. But it surely would boost interest in the ISS as it is a piece of hardware everyone could understand and imagine.
If they would be smart, they would call it Ten Forward, but then surely some unimaginative bureaucrats would speak up and say that this is to frivolous.

Harald

Swift
2005-Jul-22, 12:27 PM
<snip>
If they would be smart, they would call it Ten Forward, but then surely some unimaginative bureaucrats would speak up and say that this is to frivolous.

Well the first shuttle test vehicle was called Enterprise, so there is a tradition. :wink:

publiusr
2005-Jul-22, 09:29 PM
They have to get that cupola up if nothing else. Imagine the view!

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Jul-24, 12:33 PM
The question is: Will it ever be launched?
It is not a piece of equipment that is absolutely neccessary for the ISS. But it surely would boost interest in the ISS as it is a piece of hardware everyone could understand and imagine.

yes, it looks great I hope it gets launched

Manchurian Taikonaut
2006-Jan-18, 12:22 PM
Columbus is stuck on the ground

Europe seeks lift for stranded space lab
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/1/17/worldupdates/2006-01-17T005126Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_-232238-1&sec=worldupdates

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=scienceNews&storyID=2006-01-16T184730Z_01_L16758756_RTRUKOC_0_US-SPACE-EU.xml&archived=False
Europe is looking to thumb a ride for its 1 billion euro ($1.21 billion) space laboratory which has been gathering dust on Earth since the U.S. space shuttle was all but grounded after a 2003 crash.

The U.S. shuttle is the only vehicle that can carry large equipment to the International Space Station and its grounding has left the European Space Agency wondering how else it might send the Columbus research center into orbit.
"What we hope is for the Columbus to be launched as quickly as possible," Jean-Jacques Dordain, director general of the European Space Agency, told a news conference on Monday.
U.S. space agency NASA halted shuttle flights for more than two years after the space shuttle Columbia disintegrated over Texas in February 2003, killing seven astronauts.

It launched the Discovery shuttle last July but the fleet was quickly grounded again because of new problems.

The next shuttle flight is tentatively scheduled for May. But Dordain said there are other countries with scientific projects waiting to catch a ride.

"There are others in the queue, notably the Japanese who want their laboratory launched as quickly as possible," he said.
He also wants to make sure that there will be enough flights for scientists to access the European laboratory after it has been sent into orbit.

ksodbartman
2006-Jan-23, 11:47 AM
Of course, we could always counter with the fact that it would remind astronauts on long stays of their home and help them keep their sanity. If we don't one of them could go crazy and kill everyone aboard and scuttle the Station.

What's THAT gonna cost ya?