PDA

View Full Version : Tracking the progress of the dot in the sky

xriso
2002-Aug-21, 04:57 AM
Where can I find out where Nibiru is supposed to be right now? How bright it is? How far away? How big? I have some access to a telescope that can easily detect 17th magnitude stars (using a CCD), and access to a star catalog down to 19th magnitude (using the Cartes du Ceil software), and I would like to give people a nice decisive evidence. My little prediction: the "Zetas" are lying.

And no Nancy, you can't circle a fuzz of error-pixels.

Senor Molinero
2002-Aug-21, 05:27 AM
Close your eyes,
make a wish,
count to three.

-Willy Wonka

2002-Aug-21, 03:25 PM
On 2002-08-21 01:27, Senor Molinero wrote:
Close your eyes,
make a wish,
count to three.

-Willy Wonka

lmao...thats hilarious.

Lisa
2002-Aug-27, 06:53 PM
According to the various nut cases and woo woos on the 'net, you should be able to see it in the constellation of Orion. It should appear as a glowing red object. If you can't see it, its because of (insert conspiracy theory here) or you're a part of (aforementioned conspiracy).
The only red object I've been able to find in Orion is Betelguese. This observation got me bounced PDQ from some nutcase's site.

Chip
2002-Aug-27, 07:10 PM
On 2002-08-27 14:53, Lisa wrote:
According to the various nut cases and woo woos on the 'net, you should be able to see it in the constellation of Orion.

Orion? Well golly, whatzit doowin over thyair?
Do you suppose if someone sent in the name "Nibiru" to those star naming people, they'd name a star "Nibiru" for them for 40 bucks? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Aug-27, 07:47 PM
On a radio interview, new PX advocate James McCanney claims that orion is where PX will achieve perihelion, not where it will first be seen in the sky. Because of this, he claims, no one knows where it will be. He also claims it does not obey the laws of gravity as we know them (he posits an extra force of some kind due to EM effects). This means we don't see it because it is still too far away (which is dead wrong; it's have to be a light year away not to be seen by now), and it could be anywhere in the sky.

You can imagine how I feel about this.

Kaptain K
2002-Aug-27, 08:02 PM
According to this page at Zetatalk:
http://www.zetatalk.com/theword/tword03m.htm
The Zetans are withholding coordinates until mid sept. due to "disinformation" by NASA. Coordinates are given through July 13. Care to extrapolate?

This is getting funnier by the day. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

traztx
2002-Aug-27, 09:55 PM
Maybe it's hiding behind the sun.

Wasn't there a movie where they found another Earth orbitting the sun exactly opposite our Earth and an astronaut visits and finds that everything is reversed? A left-handed version of himself travelled to the "real Earth" at the same time.

Senor Molinero
2002-Aug-27, 11:17 PM
Yeah, "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun".
Not nearly as good as the Good Kirk/Bad Kirk episode of ST:TOS.

Chuck
2002-Aug-28, 12:32 AM
I saw Journey to the Far Side of the Sun. All I could think about was, when one of our astronomers is looking at Mars during a close approach, what is the far side mirror astronomer looking at?

Kaptain K
2002-Aug-28, 02:28 AM
About the only thing I remember from "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" is that when the astronaut landed, his superiors asked him why he turned around and came back. That set off my "bad science" detector, even way back then.

xriso
2002-Aug-28, 10:35 AM
On 2002-08-27 16:02, Kaptain K wrote:
According to this page at Zetatalk:
http://www.zetatalk.com/theword/tword03m.htm
The Zetans are withholding coordinates until mid sept. due to "disinformation" by NASA. Coordinates are given through July 13. Care to extrapolate?

Well, that's okay. I wasn't planning to do this until late september/mid october, so I could catch Jupiter and Saturn in one shot /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Chip
2002-Aug-28, 05:13 PM
On 2002-08-27 17:55, traztx wrote:
Maybe it's hiding behind the sun.

Newton's "Law of Universal Gravitation" predicted the elliptical orbit of Mercury, but it was discovered that on a very small scale, the prediction was off for the precession of the perihelion of Mercury's orbit. In other words, the ellipse doesn't maintain the same position. What happens is that the pattern of Mercury's elliptical orbit itself also rotates around the sun. (This is called "precession.") Its a very small precession, (I looked it up - 570 seconds arc per century, or 570 x 1/360, ) and up to that point can be explained within Newton's "Theory of Gravity" by detecting within Mercury's orbit the perturbations of the other planets in our solar system. However, there still remained this tiny discrepancy! (Only 40 seconds of arc per century.) The little discrepancy was a big puzzle throughout the 19th century.

It was then proposed that there must exist another planet on the far side of the sun, and it's presence explained the slight perturbation. This hypothetical planet was named (believe it or not,) "Vulcan."
Einstein's "General Theory of Relativity" resolved Mercury's perihelion shift without the need for Vulcan, but that's another story. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

The Shade
2002-Aug-29, 10:40 PM
What amazes me is that the "Zetans", with their all-powerful technology, are afraid of a little thing like NASA. Huh?

This is sort of like, to venture off-topic a bit, the UFO conspiracies. The UFOs have awesome technology that renders them impervious to detection from radar, global imaging satelites, etc... But for some reason, they are always seen by people like Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel and his really bad movie camera. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Shade on 2002-08-29 20:03 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Aug-29, 11:48 PM
On 2002-08-29 18:40, The Shade wrote:
yodel
yokel. I know that's a typo, but just making sure.

The Shade
2002-Aug-30, 12:04 AM
On 2002-08-29 19:48, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

yodel
yokel. I know that's a typo, but just making sure.

Corrected. Thanks for spotting that.

David Hall
2002-Aug-30, 12:01 PM

But for some reason, they are always seen by people like Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel and his really bad movie camera. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Not to mention coming all this way in their super-advanced spaceships made of unknown impervious alloys, using FTL travel and incredibly accurate navigation techniques, and then crashing it in some backwater town in New Mexico as if they were a bunch of high school boys out joyriding in their father's Chevy. Whoops!

sarongsong
2002-Dec-14, 05:55 AM
"Planet X could lie 60 times further from the Sun than the Earth, roughly 600 million
miles out...a direction that astronomers rarely study...thought to be the same size as Earth, would lie on the inside edge of the Kuiper Belt..."
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_medical/ story.jsp?story=360803
12 December 2002

David Hall
2002-Dec-14, 12:06 PM
On 2002-12-14 00:55, sarongsong wrote:
"Planet X could lie 60 times further from the Sun than the Earth, roughly 600 million
miles out...a direction that astronomers rarely study...thought to be the same size as Earth, would lie on the inside edge of the Kuiper Belt..."
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_medical/story.jsp?story=360803
12 December 2002

(I fixed your link up for you.)

This story is being discussed in another thread:
http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3190&forum=2&8

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Hall on 2002-12-14 07:10 ]</font>

sarongsong
2002-Dec-14, 06:20 PM
>I fixed your link up for you...
Thanks! Will check out the other discussion.
So many sites; so little time.