PDA

View Full Version : Who is up for some time travel ?

poorleno
2002-Aug-21, 03:10 PM
So what's the deal with that? Time travel? I've heard that “Vulcans” prove against it:-)
But still, shrouded by our inability to understand the complexity of the universe, time and everything (A little hitchhiker joke /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif ) and our unawareness and misplaced will to kill, the knowledge is beyond us. We've been time traveling in our minds possibly since Adam found Eve in bed with the snake (which may or may not have happened, we’ll never know until we prevail in creating the object in question). I, for one, long to see my younger self (unless Doc. was on to something when he mumbled about the destruction of the time space continuum) sometime in the near future (well past, and for that matter not near - I’m getting older...). What do you think? Does anyone have a scientific insight on the matter?

Silas
2002-Aug-21, 03:26 PM
In theory, according to Hawking and Penrose and Tipler and others, time-space can be distorted under circumstances of extreme gravitational stress, in such a way that space becomes "timelike" and time becomes "spacelike." In theory, then, one can travel backwards in time.

Take note, though, even if time and space were completely flipped...it would take you as much effort to move "one second" as to move "186,000 miles." It would be as hard to go back in time four years as to travel to Alpha Centauri...

So, don't expect to visit Grandfather Adam in time to warn him against tainted vegetable produce...

Silas

traztx
2002-Aug-21, 03:31 PM
Weird, a strange person who looks kinda like me only older says he is me and is telling me not to push the "submit" button.

I don't believe him. I'm gonna push the button. Here goes /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

poorleno
2002-Aug-21, 03:37 PM
Oh those are some really nice facts there... Hm.. what if... what if we would go though a wormhole while being in this distorted space you speak of... Wouldn't that be cool ? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Oh and I wouldn't worn him, noooo way. As the bible says (not that I’m a scholar...) but he got like knowledge out of that piece of pie, didn't he? Maybe then i could figure out a way back /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Bozola
2002-Aug-21, 03:43 PM
I travel through time.

Donnie B.
2002-Aug-21, 03:50 PM
On 2002-08-21 11:43, Bozola wrote:
I travel through time.

Me too... unidirectionally.

Donnie B.
2002-Aug-21, 03:55 PM
Niven's Law of Time Travel states (and I'm quoting from memory here):
If the universe of discourse allows time travel, and the time traveler can effect changes in the past during such travel, then the simplest single change to the past that would stabilize such a universe is the elimination of the possibility of time travel.

In other words, if time travel did exist, things would just be too weird; and eventually, some time traveler would do something to end the possibility of time travel... and we'd have a universe like ours seems to be.

Many fine SF stories have been written around this concept /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

poorleno
2002-Aug-21, 03:57 PM
i don't like it /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif That way i don't get to see Cujo in cinema again ^_^

Donnie B.
2002-Aug-21, 04:04 PM
Heh... we all have our cross to bear...

xriso
2002-Aug-21, 07:44 PM
Information only travels forward in time. How does that sound? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

poorleno
2002-Aug-21, 07:48 PM
cheap :]

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Aug-21, 08:06 PM
See?

The Rusty Lander
2002-Aug-21, 08:14 PM
Hi, I'm from the future. I've been sent here to WARN you about the next post on this thread. Whatever you do DON'T READ IT. I mean it, whatever you do, DO NOT READ THE NEXT POST. IF you do it will cause a worldwide catastrophic event. I'm here to prevent it.

IGNORE THE NEXT POST - THE FUTURE OF MANKIND DEPENDS ON IT!!!

Phobos
2002-Aug-21, 09:13 PM
Let me present you with the next president of the United States of America;

http://www.hedweb.com/pete/alter-ego.jpg

Mr Blobby

(I hope this information doesn't have any dangerous side effects)

Phobos

99homer99
2002-Aug-21, 09:28 PM
I don't think the USA knows Mr. Blobby
Do not read all there is to know about Mr. Blobby or you will find yourself back here 100 years from now

Bozola
2002-Aug-21, 09:48 PM
http://www.aardman.com/rextherunt/goodies/backdrops/old/gangsmall.jpg

Wiley
2002-Aug-21, 10:01 PM
(Veering back on topic)

Oddly enough, the current issue of Scientific American focuses on time. Some of the articles are online (http://www.sciam.com/) including How to build a time machine (http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0004226A-F77D-1D4A-90FB809EC5880000&catID=2) by Paul "c ain't a constant" Davies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiley on 2002-08-21 18:03 ]</font>

poorleno
2002-Aug-21, 11:03 PM
Aight i'm on it! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Senor Molinero
2002-Aug-22, 12:46 AM
While it may not be feasible to "travel" into the past buggering up cause and effect, etc. it is certainly possible to see into the past. We do this every day when we observe distant objects. We see the sun as it was eight minutes ago. When we receive a transmission from Voyager (allowing for signal time) we see the solar system as it was 22 hours ago.

If instantaneous transmission of information is ever made possible then a very, very, very powerful telescope could be positioned one light-year away and aimed at the earth. We could instruct it to aim at whatever point on the earth that we wished to observe and see what happened there one year ago. Solve crimes, apportion blame, whatever.

Every event that has ever happened anywhere has an echo radiating through the universe. I think Arthur C. Clarke is working on this idea for a novel at present. He should do it justice. To invent a device that can observe any event at any point in time. Cool.

Chip
2002-Aug-22, 01:07 AM
On 2002-08-21 17:13, Phobos wrote:

Oh..I don't think so. Mr. Blobby stopped by my house last week and left some plans for a time machine. We built it in the garage. It doesn't work, but it does make some pretty colors on the screen! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
http://www.areacom.it/arte_cultura/warworld/IMG/Citt5.jpg

A Song Of Distant Earth
2002-Aug-22, 03:50 AM
VERY interesting concept Molinero! If Arthur C. Clarke is writing about it then I'm definitely interested to see what he'd do with it.

Hauteden
2002-Aug-22, 05:25 AM
Well, since we are on the topic of time travel I'll throw this lil'article I found about a "time-traveler". Basically it is about a guy who appeared out of places unknown and then was hit by a taxi. I could sit here and explain the entire article to you but what fun would that be? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Clock runs out on long-told story of time traveler (http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/3846644.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp)

Just had a thought, what if there was a anomaly in space that would reflect light that originated from Earth back to Earth. Could we use it to "see" back in time? And how would that work exactly?

I could see limitations, based on the distance from Earth the anomaly was, of locations on Earth you could see. Of course you wouldn't be able to interact with the past but it would be neat to see nonetheless.

Enjoy

Hauteden

[edited to add thought]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hauteden on 2002-08-22 01:32 ]</font>

Chip
2002-Aug-22, 09:25 AM
By the way, concerning time travel, I brought up the "Tipler Cylinder" here: http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=581&forum=1
if anybody is interested.

Sum0
2002-Aug-22, 11:44 AM
So now that it's been proved that Bart Sibrel is actually from the Moon and is trying to discourage tourists messing up his back garden, how will this affect the HB community? Whoops, wrong thread.

Whoops, wrong time period.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Aug-22, 12:54 PM
I travel through time.

Me too, check it out (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2042&forum=2&start=11).

Chip
2002-Aug-22, 04:55 PM
On 2002-08-22 08:54, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

I travel through time.
Me too, check it out (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2042&forum=2&start=11).

That is what is known in time travel "circles" as a "Chronic Hysteresis."

Wiley
2002-Aug-22, 07:51 PM

I travel through time.

He sets us up. Waiting patiently, oh so patiently. Unawares, we take the bait. Doh!

(Tips fedora.)

xriso
2002-Aug-23, 09:53 AM
On 2002-08-21 20:46, Senor Molinero wrote:
While it may not be feasible to "travel" into the past buggering up cause and effect, etc. it is certainly possible to see into the past. We do this every day when we observe distant objects. We see the sun as it was eight minutes ago. When we receive a transmission from Voyager (allowing for signal time) we see the solar system as it was 22 hours ago.

If instantaneous transmission of information is ever made possible then a very, very, very powerful telescope could be positioned one light-year away and aimed at the earth. We could instruct it to aim at whatever point on the earth that we wished to observe and see what happened there one year ago. Solve crimes, apportion blame, whatever.

Every event that has ever happened anywhere has an echo radiating through the universe. I think Arthur C. Clarke is working on this idea for a novel at present. He should do it justice. To invent a device that can observe any event at any point in time. Cool.

I bring news from the future that the novel will indeed come out (a collaboration of Stephen Baxter and Arthur C. Clarke). I will read it and it will be quite good. It will be called "The Light of Other Days". I recommend that you will read it. Rather, you WILL read it.

No, wait, it's out right now. Sorry.

xriso
2002-Aug-23, 09:57 AM
On 2002-08-22 12:55, Chip wrote:

I travel through time.

That is what is known in time travel "circles" as a "Chronic Hysteresis."

That sounds bad. Can you get medication for it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xriso on 2002-08-23 06:00 ]</font>

xriso
2002-Aug-23, 10:04 AM
On 2002-08-23 06:06, xriso wrote:
No, I don't travel through time!

Actually, I do.

xriso
2002-Aug-23, 10:06 AM
On 2002-08-23 06:04, xriso wrote:
Actually, I do.

No, I don't travel through time!

Kaptain K
2002-Aug-23, 11:53 AM
I am not moving through time. It is time that is doing the moving. I am stationary while time flows past me.

Donnie B.
2002-Aug-23, 02:30 PM
On 2002-08-23 07:53, Kaptain K wrote:
I am not moving through time. It is time that is doing the moving. I am stationary while time flows past me.

Yeah, I'm pretty much a couch potato too... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Aug-26, 03:18 AM
On 2002-08-22 15:51, Wiley wrote:
(Tips fedora.)

Thanks, Wiley. Just for you: Valles Marineris: The Grand Canyon of Mars, the Astronomy Picture of the Day for August 27, 2002 (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020827.html).

beskeptical
2002-Aug-26, 10:22 AM
On 2002-08-21 20:46, Senor Molinero wrote:

L. Ron Hubbard beat him to it in the book, "Battlefield Earth". (Not to be confused with the movie which unfortunately didn't do justice to a truely good book.)

beskeptical
2002-Aug-26, 10:35 AM
On 2002-08-25 23:18, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

On 2002-08-22 15:51, Wiley wrote:
(Tips fedora.)

Thanks, Wiley.

Should we start giving out 'The Grapes Award' for incredibly clever posts?

The Rusty Lander
2002-Aug-27, 11:06 AM
On 2002-08-21 17:13, Phobos wrote:
Let me present you with the next president of the United States of America;

Mr Blobby

Phobos

Oh no, you all read that post didn't you! You have no idea what you have done!

Then it's too late, it's too late for us all!

OH THE HORROR, THE HORROR!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Rusty Lander on 2002-08-27 07:09 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Aug-27, 01:57 PM
On 2002-08-26 06:35, beskeptical wrote:

We already have, two years from now.

Thank you.

David Hall
2002-Aug-27, 04:44 PM
From a well-known travel guide:

One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of accidentally becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem involved in becoming your own father or mother that a broad-minded and well-adjusted family can't cope with. There is no problem about changing the course of history-the course of history does not change because it all fits together like a jigsaw. All the important changes have happened before the things they were supposed to change and it all sorts itself out in the end.

The major problem is quite simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be described differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is further complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually traveling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later editions of the book all the pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy skips lightly over this tangle of academic abstraction, pausing only to note that the term "Future Perfect" has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be.

For some examples please go here:
http://www.red-shift.net/miliways.htm

Or better yet, consult Douglas Adams' remarkable works directly. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Wiley
2002-Aug-27, 04:52 PM
On 2002-08-27 09:57, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

On 2002-08-26 06:35, beskeptical wrote:

We already have, two years from now.

Thank you.

Beskeptical,

If you haven't seen it, the "Grapes Award" is here (http://mentock.home.mindspring.com/geology/). Careful. GoW has been known to give it out on rare occasions. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And Grapes, cool pic.

Pi Man
2002-Nov-20, 06:53 PM
Me After

<HR>**/phpBB/images/profile.gif (/phpBB/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=52)images/div.gif/phpBB/images/edit.gif (/phpBB/editpost.php?post_id=29340&topic=2042&forum=2)/phpBB/images/quote.gif (/phpBB/reply.php?topic=2042&forum=2&post=29340)</TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" ALIGN="LEFT">
<TD valign=top><FONT FACE="times new roman" COLOR="#000000">Pi Man</FONT>
<FONT FACE="times new roman" SIZE="1" COLOR="#000000">Bad Genius

</font><FONT FACE="times new roman" SIZE="1" COLOR="#000000">Joined: Nov 23, 2096</FONT>
<FONT FACE="times new roman" SIZE="1" COLOR="#000000">posts: 10 Gajillion</FONT>
</td><TD>/phpBB/images/posticon.gif<FONT FACE="times new roman" SIZE="1" COLOR="#000000">Posted: 2001-06-22 11:25***<HR></font>

<FONT COLOR="#000000" face="times new roman">
Me before! (Check the "posted:" dates and times!) Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!! I can time travel better than any of you!!!!!! <!--

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pi Man on 2002-11-20 14:07 ]</font>

Pi Man
2002-Nov-20, 07:08 PM
-->

Doodler
2002-Nov-20, 08:11 PM
So what about data? With light streams now able to transmit information faster (an orchestral piece was recently sent this way, so a post here indicated) than light, could this be the opening to the transmission of more "useable" information?

Pi Man
2002-Nov-20, 08:38 PM
More useable information? Like a faster than light computer???? That would rock! "Power up the superluminal modem! Commensing 96 GB downlo-download complete"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pi Man on 2002-11-20 17:07 ]</font>

Zathras
2002-Nov-20, 09:06 PM
On 2002-11-20 14:08, Pi Man wrote:
-->

Wow, 10 Gajillion posts over the next 94 years? You better get started quick.

Pi Man
2002-Nov-20, 10:04 PM
Check the Posted dates! The second one was posted more than a year before the first!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pi Man on 2002-11-20 17:19 ]</font>

Mickwill
2002-Nov-21, 01:06 PM
Just wondering, if you could go back and change your past, would it only be your personal future that changed, or everybodies? Would it be possible to accidentally seal your self in a continual loop from the point you travelled back to up to when you travelled never progressing past the point you travelled back from.Would it be possible to accidentally seal your self in a continual loop from the point you travelled back to up to when you travelled never progressing past the point you travelled back from.Would it be possible to accidentally seal your self in a continual loop from the point you travelled back to up to when you travelled never progressing past the point you travelled back from.Would it be possible to accidentally seal your self in a continual loop from the point you travelled back to up to when you travelled never progressing past the point you travelled back from.Would it be possible to accidentally seal your self in a continual loop from the point you travelled back to up to when you travelled never progressing past the point you travelled back from.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Nov-21, 01:57 PM
One of the things that gets lost in most discussions about time travel is the "distances" involved. Everyone is familiar with the immense amount of effort that it took to go to the moon, 240,000 miles away--and we haven't been back for a long time.

Whenever we calculate distances in spacetime, we have to use the usual space measurements, but in combination with the time, multiplied by the speed of light. So, in order for us to go back in time one second, we are facing a journey equivalent to 186,000 miles. That's almost to the moon! And of course it would hardly be worth the effort to go back only one second. There might be technological reasons--in computing for instance--to go back a few nanoseconds, which is only a few feet, but it would seem to require too great an effort to send a massive object back much farther.

Pi Man
2002-Nov-21, 08:11 PM
The speed of light simply works as a conversion constant. Just as 12"/1'(12 inches/1 foot) = 1(with no units), 186000 mi/1 sec= 1(with no units)!

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Nov-21, 09:20 PM
On 2002-11-21 15:11, Pi Man wrote:
The speed of light simply works as a conversion constant.
What I said. One second, converted into miles, is 186,000 miles.

Pi Man
2002-Nov-23, 01:35 AM
Sorry, I have a habbit of rephrasing people! I guess a Bad PhD should be able to phrase himself though! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

P.S. to convert from seconds to miles, simply use the speed of light as a conversion constant!

Espritch
2002-Nov-23, 03:27 AM
One second, converted into miles, is 186,000 miles.

Hmmm...maybe if we convert to metric instead? Kilometers are shorter than miles. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Espritch on 2002-11-22 22:29 ]</font>