PDA

View Full Version : It's hard to date asteroids

ToSeek
2005-Jul-21, 06:16 PM
‘Cosmic Botox’ bashes asteroid wrinkles away (http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn7699)

Meteoroid impacts can give facelifts to asteroids, knocking hundreds of millions of years off their apparent age. The finding casts doubt on the reliability of current asteroid dating methods.

skrap1r0n
2005-Jul-21, 06:21 PM
Get them Drunk First?

/sorry thats what first came to mind when I read the thread title.

Moose
2005-Jul-21, 06:23 PM
Dangit, Skrap, you beat me to it.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jul-21, 06:27 PM
Starlet wannabes, plus most of them are a little eccentric

pghnative
2005-Jul-21, 06:28 PM
Double-dang-it

ToSeek
2005-Jul-21, 06:31 PM
And I thought I was going to see some cogent discussion here... :roll:

Normandy6644
2005-Jul-21, 07:11 PM

Nope, I thought the same thing when I read the title too. :D

azazul
2005-Jul-21, 07:55 PM
Plus the whole long distance relationship thing.

Maksutov
2005-Jul-21, 10:19 PM
I've always found there is only a very weak attraction. Plus the few I've gotten close to have had a rather vacuous aura about them. Then when it's time to break up, they get perturbed.

AstroRockHunter
2005-Jul-21, 10:21 PM
And it's not like you can call them up and suggest a movie tonight. I've found that most of them don't even have a phone!!! :o

A'a
2005-Jul-22, 01:43 AM
You must just be trying the wrong asteroids. Might i suggest Eros?

ToSeek
2005-Jul-22, 02:57 AM
You people....

Normandy6644
2005-Jul-22, 04:27 AM
You people....

\:D/

(That's my favorite emoticon and I so rarely have a reason to use it!)

MG1962A
2005-Jul-22, 07:14 AM
Then again it could come down to their dispostion stoney faced or iron willed

MG

Nergal
2005-Jul-22, 12:27 PM

Puh-lease :wink:

This group? With a thread title like that? Frankly, I'd have been disappointed if this thread hadn't taken the path it did :D

As for the topic...consider it celestial dermabrasion. (New from Ronco. On sale now for $19.95. It'll take the years off, or your money back. Plus, if you call in the next 15 minutes... )

TriangleMan
2005-Jul-22, 01:39 PM
And I thought I was going to see some cogent discussion here... :roll:This group? With a thread title like that? Frankly, I'd have been disappointed if this thread hadn't taken the path it did :D
Sorry ToSeek but I have to agree with the majority. Dating, in the romantic sense, was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread's title. Serious discussions require serious titles! :D

That, and it's hard to send asteroids flowers.

Moose
2005-Jul-22, 02:34 PM
In any case, it's an interesting link, Toseek, as the vast majority of your links are. I just don't see much that needs commentary on. It's an interesting line of thought.

SiriMurthy
2005-Jul-22, 04:56 PM
:lol: =D>

You all need to be "ToSeek"ed. Go get'em, ToSeek.

ToSeek
2005-Jul-22, 05:05 PM
I'll just have to be sure to put really boring titles on threads from now on. ;)

Spacewriter
2005-Jul-22, 07:38 PM
Perhaps after this you'll differentiate the subject better!

:P :P :P :P

Melusine
2005-Jul-22, 11:05 PM
Asteroids are out of this world! Everyone should date an asteroid...at least once. :wink:

Tobin Dax
2005-Jul-23, 01:04 AM

Although it may not seem so after Deep Impact. I'll bet some asteroids are already jealous of that floosy iceball. :wink: :D

jfribrg
2005-Jul-23, 01:29 AM
last asteroid I dated was terrible. That asteroid might as well have been in a coma.

Van Rijn
2005-Jul-23, 06:21 AM
last asteroid I dated was terrible. That asteroid might as well have been in a coma.

At least you could afford it. I almost bankrupted myself on travel expenses the last time I dated one.

Maksutov
2005-Jul-23, 06:52 AM
Asteroids are out of this world! Everyone should date an asteroid...at least once. :wink:
You betcha! :D

mickal555
2005-Jul-23, 11:17 AM
I just got impacted* by my asteroid...

*dumped- ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Melusine
2005-Jul-23, 12:42 PM

Although it may not seem so after Deep Impact. I'll bet some asteroids are already jealous of that floosy iceball. :wink: :D
Nah, they're not jealous of the easy comets; asteroids are rock solid and don't have weird tails, plus you are more likely to be impacted by an asteroid, so watch out for those blind spots (http://impact.arc.nasa.gov/), an asteroid might get sneaky on you. :wink:

Spacewriter
2005-Jul-23, 12:50 PM
Well, if you're gonna start talking about tail, I guess comets would be the place to start. ;)

I am reminded of one of the first weeks I spent in grad school studying comets and we got an image from an observer who had used a schmidt plate. These plates tended to crack rather easily during use, and you could see the effects in the images. Anyway, we got this image and the crack was running across the field of view, and the first thing out of my mouth (before I even thought about what I was saying) was, "Geeze, would you look at the crack running right up that tail!"

I thought my advisor was going to split a rib laughing.

Melusine
2005-Jul-23, 01:22 PM
....and the first thing out of my mouth (before I even thought about what I was saying) was, "Geeze, would you look at the crack running right up that tail!"

I thought my advisor was going to split a rib laughing.
Lol, then maybe the 'comet' should have been called the 'asteroid'.

:)