PDA

View Full Version : New addiction: *groan* The Sims 2

Moose
2005-Jul-25, 12:31 PM
Well, not new new. Just not self-inflicted. Until yesterday, anyway. Not even KOTOR hooked me that quickly.

I think I wish someone had sat on me yesterday to keep me from picking it up. #-o :oops: Ah well, I didn't need all that pesky free time and social life anyway. Lousy sunday shopping.

Humphrey
2005-Jul-25, 01:38 PM
Beware all the simulated kissing might make you go out and dangerously practice pre-marital or extra-marital kissing!!! Its dangerous! Ban! Ban!
:-P

Be careful there are tons of expansion packs planned form Sims 2, with several out already. It can be a investment keeping your sim with the latest fashion assecories for their home. :-)

Moose
2005-Jul-25, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, I'm already sort of interested in the Nightlife one coming out next month, where you're supposed to be able to get your own car, rather than have to bum rides off of everyone.

I'm just so weak. :lol:

Tranquility
2005-Jul-25, 01:50 PM
Heh there's one expansion out, Sims 2: University. Take your sim through college life!

Also there's one coming out "soon", called Sims 2: Nightlife. Kinda the equivalent of Sims: Hot Date.

Davros
2005-Jul-25, 07:16 PM
I've alreay got The Sims 2 and the University expansion - most of my sim families are on their second or third generation.

Can't wait for nightlife.

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jul-25, 08:13 PM
Wow coincidence, I re-picked up Sims 2 yesterday and I've been playing it all day. It doesn't help that I've sacrificed my social life for my writing, I'm going to end up sacrificing my writing for a virtual social life. The cruel fate of the world 8-[

It does make good for reading, when everyone is out at work/school I pick up a book and read making sure its on normal play mode. I'll just have to pry myself away from it to do my writing. As for my other long term distraction (TV areal) it has just died on me so that won't be disturbing me for a while. Well it'll save on power I guess. NVM I just spliced the wire it's back, fortunately? #-o

Personally being under 18 I feel the 'sex' scenes are, well, appalling. Absolutely unspeakable, where's the action? They last like 5 minutes, they could at least make it more correct. I mean is 7 minutes so hard?

Plus can anyone help me help my sims out live 1 generation without setting themselves on fire etc. etc. or getting romantically entangled with one of the 'school friends' who never age.

wedgebert
2005-Jul-25, 08:23 PM
The upcoming release of Nightlife rekindled my Sims obsession (with the goal of being completely sick of the game before NL comes out, thereby saving me some money :))

My only real problem with the Sims (aside from how they're morons half the time) is that the game is just way to easy if you intervine on their behalf.

Currently I created a custom neighborhood, added the La Fiesta College to it and deleted all NPCs. Then I created 10 single sims (one of each aspiration and gender) and had them move in. The goal being to play each family one day at a time with as little micromanaging as possible. (Note: since one day is about equal to one year, I play a full year of college for each normal sim day)

The problem is that the Sims don't do very well with it comes to interacting with each other. They tend to just stand there and occasionaly make a half hearted attempt to interact with someone. This makes it almost impossible to make friends without controlling them. Plus, they never seem to develop romantic attachments on their own. However if you take direct control, it becomes way too easy to develop friendships, fall in love, all while learning all the skills needed to get promoted.

So you either have a game that's way too easy, and thus boring, or you have what appears to be a simulation of social anxiety. I think my ideal solution would be a difficulty slider that lets you adjust how hard things are. That way I could make it 2-5x as hard to learn skills and make friends as it currently is.

Well, enough ranting. The Sims 2 is a good game, just needs to be harder.

Tranquility
2005-Jul-25, 08:36 PM
Heh see I never could get into The Sims. I mean I'd have fun playing it for a couple of days, but then because it's such a sandbox game I really don't feel any sense of achievement when I play it for a while. There's no greater goal that I'm working towards, which just turns me off playing it for extended periods of time.

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jul-25, 09:47 PM
Heh see I never could get into The Sims. I mean I'd have fun playing it for a couple of days, but then because it's such a sandbox game I really don't feel any sense of achievement when I play it for a while. There's no greater goal that I'm working towards, which just turns me off playing it for extended periods of time.

You have a gift truely from the gods, trust me. :D

I get bored of the 'getting nowhere' but I'm bored of every other game I have so I end up going back 2 days later and carrying on. I'm waiting for B&W2, which if like the first one should give me about two weeks of fun game play.

Tranquility
2005-Jul-25, 10:13 PM
Heh I guess it is a gift. It's also the same reason I don't play World of Warcraft, which is to say it's the same reason I'm not failing college so far :D .

B&W2 is looking increasingly good. I didn't get to play around much with the first one, but the designer, Peter Molyneux, is really ambitious and creative, but also a loudmouth. He was the one who said that Fable would be "the best RPG ever", only to apologize to the fans after the game was released that it wasn't as good as promised. It was pretty damn good though, I'm looking forward to B&W2 as well as Fable: Lost Chapters.

wedgebert
2005-Jul-25, 10:24 PM
Heh, after beating Fable, I felt like I had just finished the tutorial and I was ready to tackle the actual game.

Moose
2005-Jul-27, 11:40 AM
Plus can anyone help me help my sims out live 1 generation without setting themselves on fire etc. etc. or getting romantically entangled with one of the 'school friends' who never age.

Put a smoke detector near the stove, the fire department will arrive very promptly. Select your sim and cancel the panic attack at the first opportunity. Either move your sim out of the way and let the professional fight the fire (safest), or let him/her help with his/her own personal pocket extinguisher (which they all seem to have stashed away somewhere.)

According to the faqs, avoiding romantic entanglements is apparently as easy as not letting your sims flirt, hug, or kiss their friends.

(Yes, I micromanage, can you tell? :D )

I think I'm going to attempt to mod a career track tonight, I'm really unhappy with the "scientist" one (mainly the hours, and... mad scientist? Wha?) It'll either be called "astrophysics" or "astronomy", and culminating in the "Celebrity lecturer (aka Carl Sagan)" career for decent money and decent (though probably mid-evening) hours.

mickal555
2005-Jul-27, 12:15 PM

Put a smoke detector near the stove, the fire department will arrive very promptly. Select your sim and cancel the panic attack at the first opportunity. Either move your sim out of the way and let the professional fight the fire (safest), or let him/her help with his/her own personal pocket extinguisher (which they all seem to have stashed away somewhere.)

According to the faqs, avoiding romantic entanglements is apparently as easy as not letting your sims flirt, hug, or kiss their friends.

(Yes, I micromanage, can you tell? :D )

I think I'm going to attempt to mod a career track tonight, I'm really unhappy with the "scientist" one (mainly the hours, and... mad scientist? Wha?) It'll either be called "astrophysics" or "astronomy", and culminating in the "Celebrity lecturer (aka Carl Sagan)" career for decent money and decent (though probably mid-evening) hours.
Cool- will you publish it?

Moose
2005-Jul-27, 12:18 PM
Of course. :) I'll provide a link when I have one.

mickal555
2005-Jul-27, 12:20 PM
Cool- I may just have to get sims 2 afterall