PDA

View Full Version : The Big 3-0 and other news

Laser Jock
2005-Jul-26, 06:37 PM
Today is my birthday, and now I'm officially old :(. Apparently, NASA was waiting for the big day to launch the shuttle as part of the celebration. That was the real reason for all of the launch delays.:wink: I'm not really doing all that much to celebrate today, but this weekend I will be trying to break my old record climbing Pikes Peak (13 miles, 7600 foot climb in 4 hours, 50 minutes set 10 years ago when I was 20). I will be trying to get up in less than 4 hours. We'll see. I might not be that old yet.

In other news, my wife and I are starting to let folks know that Laser Jock Jr. is expected to arrive in another 6 months. We have known since May 19, but we wanted to keep it quiet until after my sister's wedding and she got safely to Saipan. We didn't want steal her thunder. It will be the first grandchild and great-grandchild on both sides of the family.

Finding this out on May 19 was slightly disturbing. As you may remember, Star Wars Ep. III was released that day. Since I look a bit like Anakin, my wife looks a bit like Padme, and I found out that my wife was expecting the same day as Anakin, I was a little concerned about how far these coincidences would go. I wouldn't mind turning into the Dark Lord of the Sith so much, but I draw the line at my wife dying in childbirth. Fortunately, she is not expecting twins so we should be all right. :D

Swift
2005-Jul-26, 06:41 PM
Congrats Laser Jock. 30 isn't anywhere close to becoming incoherent. 46, now that's a depressing number :wink:

And congrats on the little laser pointer. Is it going to be blue laser or a red laser? :D

Tensor
2005-Jul-26, 06:51 PM
Today is my birthday, and now I'm officially old

Don't think 30 is old, 49 (with a change in that number in 4 months), that is old. :wink:

I'm not really doing all that much to celebrate today, but this weekend I will be trying to break my old record climbing Pikes Peak (13 miles, 7600 foot climb in 4 hours, 50 minutes set 10 years ago when I was 20). I will be trying to get up in less than 4 hours. We'll see. I might not be that old yet.

I'm willing to bet on the "not old"

In other news, my wife and I are starting to let folks know that Laser Jock Jr. is expected to arrive in another 6 months.

Congrats on the little laser. :D

30 isn't anywhere close to becoming incoherent...

Actually Swift, at our age I think that bolded word should be incontinent shouldn't it? :wink:

Laser Jock
2005-Jul-26, 06:57 PM
And congrats on the little laser pointer. Is it going to be blue laser or a red laser? :D

:lol: :lol:

Since there isn't such a thing as pink laser light, red will have to do? :lol:

We don't know; nor do we plan to find out until early. I'm guessing a girl (not that I'll be disappointed either way).

farmerjumperdon
2005-Jul-26, 07:20 PM
Congrats! The best is always yet to come.

May your climb be safe and swift; and your child be healthy, caring, and wise.

Parrothead
2005-Jul-26, 08:26 PM
Sayings go: It's all downhill after 30. Life begins at 40. I just started counting backwards from 30 until I hit 20/40. :wink:

Taks
2005-Jul-26, 08:54 PM
mine was 2 days ago... living in the springs as well!

congrats on future baby laser jock. maybe an LED jock?

taks

SeanF
2005-Jul-26, 09:06 PM
Fortunately, she is not expecting twins...
Yeah, that's what Anakin thought, too. #-o

Happy Birthday, Laser Jock, and congratulations! :D

Cylinder
2005-Jul-26, 09:24 PM
Today is my birthday as well. Have a great one laser jock!

Trebuchet
2005-Jul-26, 11:15 PM
I remember just before my 30th going into get my drivers license renewed. The clerk said "Crossing the watershed, huh?"

It wasn't until later that it occurred to me that when one crosses a watershed, he has necessarily gone over the hill!

By the way, I got married on my 30th. Under 30 and single to over 30 and married in a single day!

Congrats, Laser Jock!

Taks
2005-Jul-27, 04:01 AM
i was standing in customs at the US border (see thread "I'm a Canuck! (for a few days)") on my return to CO and the agent noticed my bday... "getting older as you stand here and wait, eh?" i had no choice but to grumble something incontinently...
:)

taks

AstroRockHunter
2005-Jul-27, 08:06 PM
Laser Jock wrote:

Today is my birthday, and now I'm officially old .

First, Happy Birthday!!!

Second, it was my birthday also!!!

Third, since I turned 50 (yep, the first half is over and it's all down hill from here #-o ) I think that I can say with some authority that YOU ARE NOT OLD!!!

I also wish to thank NASA for that great birthday present.

And Laser Jock, just remember that
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!!!

MrClean
2005-Jul-27, 10:11 PM
You have at least 45 years more work before retirement, longer than you've been alive.

You might reconsider that 'OLD' stuff.

I got a buddy that delivers printed forms from his company from time to time, he's 83. He ain't old. My father on the other hand is 80 and is definately old, just sits there waiting to die.

You makes your choice and takes your chances. By the way, you'll be 51 before that little sucker becomes fully legal, so you might as well have a couple more. We've taken out equity loans to help with college on ours, I've got to pay them off, ransack my retirement savings and hope we have enough to get em through college. Then hope we can rebuild to retire some day. [/img]

Laser Jock
2005-Aug-01, 03:38 PM
I'm not really doing all that much to celebrate today, but this weekend I will be trying to break my old record climbing Pikes Peak (13 miles, 7600 foot climb in 4 hours, 50 minutes set 10 years ago when I was 20). I will be trying to get up in less than 4 hours. We'll see. I might not be that old yet.

I'm willing to bet on the "not old"

Sigh. Nope, old. :( OK, I did break my old time by almost a half hour (4 hours, 24 minutes), but I didn't get up in less than 4 hours. I was slowed by my right knee that decided to misbehave less than 1/3 of the way up. Fortunately it did stop hurting (or at least went numb) the last three miles. I was also weakened by a stomach bug (or something) that I've been fighting all this last week. Three trips to the bathroom that morning is not the condition you want to be in when you start one of these climbs. Like I said I think I'm getting old. 8-[

:)

zebo-the-fat
2005-Aug-01, 04:43 PM
Your only as old as the woman you would LIKE to feel! :D :D

Laser Jock
2006-Jan-04, 09:58 PM
Blue!!

At 8:21 AM (MST), Mrs. Laser Jock gave birth to Andrew Schuyler at 5 lbs, 13 oz. He's already proven to be an active little character who likes to beller a lot. :D

Here's a picture (more to come later):

Swift
2006-Jan-04, 10:06 PM
:dance: :clap:
Congrats. Surprised you are "coherent", you probably were up all night.

Candy
2006-Jan-04, 10:12 PM
Babies! :dance:

I can live without them.
I know, I'm so bad.

SeanF
2006-Jan-04, 10:15 PM
Congrats, Laser Jock! Welcome to parenthood! :D

Swift, you deserve a smack for that "coherent" pun.:naughty: :lol:

Swift
2006-Jan-04, 10:18 PM
Swift, you deserve a smack for that "coherent" pun.:naughty: :lol:
You're welcome to take a "shot". But don't think for a moment that I'll see "the light". :razz:
Actually, I have the right, since I gave Laser Jock the first quote in his signature, when back when. :D

Laser Jock
2006-Jan-04, 10:26 PM
:dance: :clap:
Congrats. Surprised you are "coherent", you probably were up all night.

Her water broke (and made a mess of the bed) just before midnight so I got a few hours before that happened. I'm no where near mickal555 (yet -- wait till we bring the lil' feller home :doh: ).

Taks
2006-Jan-04, 10:37 PM
Blue!!

At 8:21 AM (MST), Mrs. Laser Jock gave birth to Andrew Schuyler at 5 lbs, 13 oz. He's already proven to be an active little character who likes to beller a lot. :D

Here's a picture (more to come later):COOL! Congrats to you and the missus and the LED!

uh, you at memorial or penrose?

taks

Candy
2006-Jan-04, 10:45 PM
Ewwwwww!

Glad for the new addition, but save the details for the mommy website.

Ewwwwww!

Candy
2006-Jan-04, 10:47 PM
Subliminally, I’m asking for details. :shifty:

Laser Jock
2006-Jan-04, 10:53 PM
Subliminally, Iím asking for details. :shifty:

:lol:

No, no more details. I'm probably in enough trouble with Mrs. Laser Jock over that last comment.

This will be a very spoiled child. It's the first grandchild and great-grandchild on both sides of the family. :D

Taks
2006-Jan-04, 10:56 PM
mine was the first grandchild, too. however, my brother in st. louis managed to birth one (well, his gal did) about 4 months after ours. his is getting all the grampy and grammy attention these days (as well has his year old daughter).

taks

Candy
2006-Jan-04, 11:01 PM
OMG, Taks is like my age. I still can't imagine a watermelon exiting my body. :naughty:

Tensor
2006-Jan-05, 03:28 AM
Congratulations LJ and Mrs. LJ. First children are always exciting.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-05, 10:09 PM
What didn't get to me was my turning 30 but my baby brother turning 30.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-05, 10:28 PM
I haven't noticed anything odd about the big 4-0 either, except for the odd coincidence that my regular bar is closed this week so I can't celebrate properly:(

Laser Jock
2006-Jan-06, 07:18 PM
We took him home last night. Mom and baby are doing well. We're still having a little trouble getting him fed, but once things start to calm down a little, we should make some progress.

Other tidbits: He was born on the birthday of my wife's great-grandmother (130 years ago, obviously she is not living).

Since we didn't know if it was a boy or a girl, we call him "Peanut" before he was born. My mother made him a special hat to wear (see attachment).

Laser Jock
2006-Jan-06, 07:21 PM
Ready to go home.

Laser Jock
2006-Jan-06, 07:23 PM
I still can't imagine a watermelon exiting my body. :naughty:

Not a watermelon. The largest part is the head and it's only the size of a small grapefruit. ;)

Candy
2006-Jan-06, 11:02 PM
Not a watermelon. The largest part is the head and it's only the size of a small grapefruit. ;)
Cute peanut! :clap:

It still seems pretty painful. :eh:

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-06, 11:25 PM
A very hearty congrats. Enjoy.

Taks
2006-Jan-07, 12:40 AM
Not a watermelon. The largest part is the head and it's only the size of a small grapefruit. ;)you obviously did not meet my son at birth. of course, he was a c-section (not uncommon for high-risk mothers), but the doctors had a hard time getting him out of the opening that they cut on their own!

"ok mark, you can stand up and watch him come out"

"oh goody, pretty sterile, all covered up, this shouldn't be too bad... hey, what are you guys doing? do you have to push so hard? stop punching her! what's that hat with a tube and pump for? SUCTION???? what the...? AHHHH!"

"go over to the table and clean off your son, mark"

"i think i'm going to be sick... :("

phew. my wife, however, could not see a thing and was drugged pretty heavily (not to mention exhausted) so she was all smiles and tears. :)

mark

Laser Jock
2006-Jan-07, 06:32 PM
you obviously did not meet my son at birth. of course, he was a c-section (not uncommon for high-risk mothers), but the doctors had a hard time getting him out of the opening that they cut on their own!

"ok mark, you can stand up and watch him come out"

"oh goody, pretty sterile, all covered up, this shouldn't be too bad... hey, what are you guys doing? do you have to push so hard? stop punching her! what's that hat with a tube and pump for? SUCTION???? what the...? AHHHH!"

"go over to the table and clean off your son, mark"

"i think i'm going to be sick... :("

phew. my wife, however, could not see a thing and was drugged pretty heavily (not to mention exhausted) so she was all smiles and tears. :)

mark
There is no way I'd be able to watch a c-section. I can't even watch my wife get stuck for inserting an IV. I (partly) watched Andrew getting born (I was tasked with holding one of my wife's legs), but there is no way I could watch cutting of any kind. :eek::eek::sick::sick:

One last picture: I was trying to make him smile for the camera.