PDA

View Full Version : Satellites & Galaxies

James
2001-Nov-22, 12:30 AM
In the recent Sun issue(US version, not UK), they put on pages 4 and 5 a picture of this galaxy, MCG-6-30-15, supposedly taken by the XXM-Newton X-ray telescope.

Anyway, my questions are:

1. Is there such a satellite?

2. Is there such a galaxy?

3. Has there ever been a picture taken of the galaxy MCG-6-30-25?

4. If there is a galaxy known as MCG-6-30-15, does anyone know if it has a black hole at it's center, and if so, how big is it?

Mr. Wree
2001-Nov-22, 02:05 AM
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/asca/gallery/mcg6.html

Artist's conception: http://science.msfc.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast23oct_1.htm

The observations having been made by an X-ray satellite, there are no ASCA satellite visible light images of the galaxy.

That no specific visible light image of the galaxy seems to exist online indicates it must be quite distant, thus small looking and too indistinct to merit an enlarged image all its own.

A guess.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Wree on 2001-11-21 21:06 ]</font>

James
2001-Nov-22, 04:13 AM
On 2001-11-21 21:05, Mr. Wree wrote:Artist's conception: http://science.msfc.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast23oct_1.htm</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

That second one is the same picture as in the Sun. Why do I have a feeling that someone found the pic on the net and doctored up the story?

Their explanation:

[quote]<font color=white>......</font color>"Until now, we thought black holes were doorways to infinite nothingness," says astronomer Dr. Hilary Weitz. "Now we know that they are channels to at least one universe that teems with life. According to the laws of physics, this world is populated by beings and objects that are mirror images of ourselves and the familiar things around us."
<font color=white>......</font color>"Most exciting of all, the lines of force may indicate that the inhabitants of this world are reaching out to us, trying to communicate their wisdom to us. This may be the dawn of a glorious new age for mankind."

I take it that all of the above is pure bull? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

The Bad Astronomer
2001-Nov-22, 05:10 AM
Do you have a link to this paper? It sounds like the usual garbage as in the Globe or the Weekly World News.

Here is a link to the XMM press release (http://www.esa.int/export/esaCP/ESAL2MZK0TC_index_0.html). Note that the image is an artists's conception. There is a link to the XMM home page from the above link.

ljbrs
2001-Nov-22, 03:01 PM
The *SUN* is one of those newspapers which one finds in supermarket checkout lines. I hardly think that anybody in his/her right mind would take anything seriously from any of these newspapers without further checking the information's authenticity.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

James
2001-Nov-23, 02:26 AM
BA-

I don't believe they do have a website, becaues I've never seen one advertised in their magazine. Also, one of their editors died in the recent Anthrax attacks in Florida.

The *SUN* is one of those newspapers which one finds in supermarket checkout lines. I hardly think that anybody in his/her right mind would take anything seriously from any of these newspapers without further checking the information's authenticity.

I just read it for the fun of it. That's why I was asking. The picture itself is beautiful, so I was wondering if it was real or not.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: James on 2001-11-22 21:30 ]</font>

ljbrs
2001-Nov-24, 07:35 PM
Of course, EVERYBODY reads those things for amusement. I have personally known women who took supermarket tabloids seriously (and these women had Education degrees)--figures.

The supermarket tabloids thrive on the H.L. Mencken statement: *Nobody ever lost money underestimating the taste of the American Public.* He also wrote the similar: *Nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American Public.*

So, those magazines are there to brighten the dull days of people who have nothing better to do.

I simply do not have the time to read them. It would mean giving up the time I spend reading legitimate scientific journals.

However, when one is standing in a supermarket checkout line, the waiting time is eased by reading these silly things.

ljbrs