PDA

View Full Version : Banned!

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Aug-22, 05:02 PM
Whaddya know. I was banned from a Yahoo!Group called "Earthchanges_discussion_prep_planetx".

Someone there posted a rather odd essay about the way the Universe might be 4D, and said how this will befuddle scientists, including me (they mentioned me by name).

I posted a reply, saying how not only is this news not befuddling, but in fact I had written an essay for Astronomy magazine (which can be found here, 2/3 of the way down the page (http://www.astronomy.com/content/static/beginners/faaq.asp)) some years ago talking about this very curvature of space.

So they banned me. I can understand why, of course; the reason isn't hard to figure out. But it's too bad that they are so afraid of outside opinions that they banned me for nothing more than what I said and who I am.

It's ironic: I ban people here, and they get very upset and accuse me of censorship. But in the history of this board, not one single person has ever been banned for the arguments they are making. They have been banned for the way they make them: using profanity, or insults, or consistently losing their temper here.

I quote Thomas Jefferson in my book, and I'll repeat it here, because it sums up so well my own beliefs about finding the truth in a sea of pseudoscience:

I know no safe depositary of the ultimate powers of society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education.

Chip
2002-Aug-22, 06:47 PM
Apparently they just want to live in their own little world. You did the right thing by posting a reply there.

"It is an affront to truth to treat falsehood with complaisance."
Thomas Paine

Jim
2002-Aug-22, 09:38 PM
Well, since we're in a quoting mood:

You are known by the enemies you make.
(Richard Nixon?)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Aug-24, 05:38 AM
It took Nixon to go to China.

- Leonard "Spock" Nimoy
- from Star Trek VI
- The Undiscovered Country

Allegedly, it's An Old Vulcan Proverb. Personally, I think that it Sums Up Nixon, Pretty Well!

Russ
2002-Aug-29, 10:35 PM
On 2002-08-24 01:38, ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:

- Leonard "Spock" Nimoy
- from Star Trek VI

Allegedly, it's An Old Vulcan Proverb. Personally, I think that it Sums Up Nixon, Pretty Well!

I've got that movie on tape. If you'll excuse the correction, the quote is: "Only Nixon could go to China" /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ljbrs
2002-Aug-30, 01:36 AM
BadAstronomer:

For

Earthchanges_discussion_prep_planetx

you just did not have the preferred ignorant attitude. I just went to that site, but, after reading some of each, I would have found it painful to read any more of their stuff. I think that you were very brave to tackle such silliness.

I read no further than the main page. Even that was intellectually painful.

Incidentally, this Bad Astronomy site is wonderful because writers can state whatever ideas they have, no matter how silly they might seem to be, and if they write calmly and stay with the topic, they can continue to post here.

It is very comfortable to be able to post without nastiness.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljbrs on 2002-08-29 21:38 ]</font>

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Aug-31, 06:44 PM
Whaddya know. I was banned from Mark Hazlewood's Yahoo group. This one (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/planetx2003/). I don't know his exact reasons, of course, but my best guess is that he was tired of me reading what he was saying and reviewing it on my web page about Planet X. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Bad Astronomer on 2002-08-31 14:49 ]</font>

Rift
2002-Aug-31, 08:01 PM
Too bad James McCanney doesn't have a board or newsletter, then you'd be 3 for 3. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rift on 2002-08-31 16:02 ]</font>

Espritch
2002-Sep-01, 11:58 PM
Nothing the Emporer hates more than having someone point out that he is walking down the street butt nekid. You should regard being banned by true believers as a badge of honor. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Sep-02, 04:59 AM
On 2002-08-29 18:35, Russ wrote:

On 2002-08-24 01:38, ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:

- Leonard "Spock" Nimoy
- from Star Trek VI

I've got that movie on tape. If you'll excuse the correction, the quote is: "Only Nixon could go to China" /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

You're Right, at least I got The Right Movie though, huh?

ljbrs
2002-Sep-02, 01:41 PM
Bad Astronomer:

I guess some websites are not open to valid correction and/or criticism. When clicking around the Internet, one needs to be very, very careful about the sources of one's information. For science, I tend to stick to .edu and .gov sites (or their counterparts in foreign countries). In the case of this site, having an established astronomer at the head gives it credibility.

Even if you were banned, you might have provided some kind of information to them in the process.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

GENIUS'02
2002-Sep-02, 01:44 PM
why doesn't someone just make up something that completely contradicts everything they say, but its said in the way they want it, they'll think its wonderful, and start using that as their newest source of "proof" and prove their incompetance /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif:D:D

you wouldn't be doing anything that they could ban you for, you're making stuff up, so are they!!!

John Free
2002-Sep-04, 07:56 AM
I just wanted to say that I have been touting BadAstronomy on several major BBs.

Where ever I run into the "Tin Hats" expounding "Planet X" I sic this URL on them.

This world has enough going on without crazy urban legends making matters worse.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Hale_Bopp
2002-Sep-05, 01:49 AM
Well, you should wear that like a badge of honor...maybe put up a counter on your site.

"I have been banned from x bulletin boards!"

Rob

MongotheGreat
2002-Sep-05, 12:35 PM
On 2002-09-04 03:56, John Free wrote:
I just wanted to say that I have been touting BadAstronomy on several major BBs.

Where ever I run into the "Tin Hats" expounding "Planet X" I sic this URL on them.

This world has enough going on without crazy urban legends making matters worse.

You just have to wonder how many of those people actually read this site and are swayed by it. Probably more important is getting to the unaffiliated before the ""Tin Hats"" recruit them. As long as they remain bottled up in their own world, they can't contaminate the rest of us.

Argos
2002-Sep-05, 09:04 PM
Don't you be upset. Galileo was banned too (and so was Jonathan Livingstone Seagull). It always happens with the good ones.

Hope this lesson will soften your heart of stone. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

(I'm just kidding, just in case...)

Doctor J
2002-Sep-06, 09:22 PM

I ahve to second this idea......I appreciate and enjoy everything you are doing, and none more than this Planet X nonsense. When are you going to take Scientific Remote Viewing on? *S*

g99
2002-Sep-09, 01:14 PM
On 2002-09-05 08:35, MongotheGreat wrote:

You just have to wonder how many of those people actually read this site and are swayed by it. Probably more important is getting to the unaffiliated before the ""Tin Hats"" recruit them. As long as they remain bottled up in their own world, they can't contaminate the rest of us.

If you look at some of the posters on this site, [i can remember one particularily (not to be mean) who had a problem with lunar cameras] i think they actually have visited this site and have poted. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

P.S. Along with a banned counter, you should have a counter of "Converted" people over from pseudoscience to astronomy. Altought i do think that counter would be ticking off much more slowly than the banned one. People who believe in one thing find it hard to throw away all of their beliefs for another idea, even if it is better. (This is true about scientists too sadly /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif)

P.S. B.A. is there anyway you can post your replys that got you banned?

Conrad
2002-Sep-09, 07:59 PM
<snip>
[/quote]
When are you going to take Scientific Remote Viewing on? *S*
[/quote]

"Scientific Remote Viewing" is an oxymoron, I'm afraid (bites tongue to resist making puns around "oxymoron")!

Doctor J
2002-Sep-09, 08:17 PM
"Scientific Remote Viewing" is an oxymoron, I'm afraid (bites tongue to resist making puns around "oxymoron")!

Actually, I have been wondering why the people who practice 'Scientific' Remote Viewing, and are allegedly in touch with aliens (Courtney Brown, who was professor at Emory when I was a grad student there, saide that there were Martians living in Santa Fe NM....how did he know? Did he get on a plane and fly there? No, by SRV!), havent given us any warning about Planet X.....could it be that there aliens have different information than Nancy's aliens? Hmmmmm...

astro lou
2002-Sep-19, 03:12 AM
[quote]

Hi folks,
Just wanted to say that I enjoy the banter here. Keep up the good work. I have to say that I think this cool Wells quote is in error. I think the penultimate word should be spelled T-H-A-N.
Cheers,
Lou

nebularain
2002-Sep-19, 12:48 PM
All right! An English teacher comes on board /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif !

Seriousness aside - oh, excuse me - kidding aside:

Welcome!

Rift
2002-Sep-20, 11:10 AM
Blah, I'm an astronomy person, not an english person... you're lucky I spell as good as I do...

Besides, I think I cut and pasted that from a quote site /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Bad speelers of the world, UNTIE!

Jim
2002-Sep-20, 12:22 PM
On 2002-09-20 07:10, Rift wrote:
Blah, I'm an astronomy person, not an english person... you're lucky I spell as good as I do...

Besides, I think I cut and pasted that from a quote site /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Bad speelers of the world, UNTIE!

I think it was Thomas Jefferson who said, "It's a poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word."

(BTW, that should be "you're lucky I spell as well as I do.") /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Rift
2002-Sep-20, 04:29 PM
Ugh, I give up. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Besides, this is the Bad ASTRONOMY board, not the Bad ENGLISH board...

(well, any board I'm on is going to end up a bad english board, but that's besides the point.) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Donnie B.
2002-Sep-20, 06:55 PM
On 2002-09-20 12:29, Rift wrote:
Ugh, I give up. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Besides, this is the Bad ASTRONOMY board, not the Bad ENGLISH board...

(well, any board I'm on is going to end up a bad english board, but that's besides the point.) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

You mean beside the point... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Doodler
2002-Sep-20, 07:34 PM
"What a waste it is to lose one's mind."
- Vice President Danforth Quayle

I think a line from the most famous misspeller in American history about sums it up for this thread /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mr. X
2002-Oct-15, 02:34 AM
Mr. Phil, you don't have to explain yourself for getting banned.

I get banned from plenty of places for my constant whining and non stop profanity.

Who wants an example?

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Oct-15, 02:57 AM
Welcome back Mr. X, you've noticed that the BA started a forum for ya

Mr. X
2002-Oct-15, 03:11 AM
ROFL, I should have known you'd be the frst to notice my return!

But I'm from planet P... for some arcane reason YOU'LL never know.

I'm here for a brief time, next time will be at christmas, easter, then next summer.

Engineering is pretty rough, but nothing yours truly can't handle. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr. X on 2002-10-14 23:12 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Oct-15, 03:34 AM
On 2002-10-14 23:11, Mr. X wrote:
ROFL
You're an answer to a trivia question (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=1929&forum=2&start=0), Mr. X. We'll look forward to the next holiday.

Mr. X
2002-Oct-15, 06:36 AM
ROFL again!
Yet another "Claim to Fame"!

I'm starting to collect those!

Muchansclon/Planet 10?
2002-Oct-15, 11:27 AM
Phil for Bad Astronomy president!

Seriously, after that you had been thrown out of a obious pro-planet x forum, and since i don`t belive myself in Planet X:

Bad Astronomer is a TOO modest title! You should negociate to be Bad President!!!
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

3 cheers for Phill Plait, no make it 4!

Psychostar
2002-Nov-07, 08:46 PM
Hip hip hurray! Hip hip hurray! Hip hip hurray! 1...2...3... OH! Hip hip hurray!!! 1..2..3..4.. right.. okay!

Psychostar
2002-Dec-05, 11:23 PM
Did I start that odd silence that follow something stupid, insulting, etc. (In other words, what I almost always say)?

A.DIM
2002-Dec-06, 02:05 PM
Here Here! A round of pats-on-the-back for all!
This ISN'T an English site, I know; however, English being the VERY precise language it is, its no wonder we remain "babel-factored."

On 2002-09-09 15:59, Conrad wrote:
<snip>

[/quote]

With much pompous-humility(how's that for an oxymoron?), I ask how "scientific remote viewing" is an oxymoron?

"The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside" - Allan Bloom - The Closing of the American Mind

VanBurenVandal
2002-Dec-07, 12:07 AM
Well BA, I’ll take this opportunity to quote The Sting (I’ll take any opportunity to quote The Sting…):

Gondorf, after Hooker said the mobsters threatened to “silence” him: “Hell, they don't do that and you know you're not gettin' through to 'em.”

Guess it’s as true with Planet X BB’s as it is with mobsters… Keep fighting the good fight!

P.S. I hope the "toast" quote below doesn't apply to people becoming HB's...

Peter B
2002-Dec-09, 12:32 AM
On 2002-12-06 09:05, A.DIM wrote:

On 2002-09-09 15:59, Conrad wrote:
<snip>

With much pompous-humility(how's that for an oxymoron?), I ask how "scientific remote viewing" is an oxymoron?

Very simply, its techniques don't adhere to the scientific method. When subjected to the slightest testing (read some of Michael Shermer's experiences on the matter) results are interpreted after the event to fit the prediction, or the results are so uncertain as to be useless.

ljbrs
2003-Aug-30, 11:11 PM
So they banned me. I can understand why, of course; the reason isn't hard to figure out. But it's too bad that they are so afraid of outside opinions that they banned me for nothing more than what I said and who I am.

Bad Astronomer: They banned you because they are afraid of a REAL ASTRONOMER coming in there with REAL ASTRONOMICAL KNOWLEDGE. When people are attempting to proselytize neophytes about their latest scientific baloney, they certainly would not want YOUR REAL INFORMATION spoiling everything for them.

ljbrs :roll:

beskeptical
2003-Aug-31, 12:03 AM
Whaddya know. I was banned from a Yahoo!Group called "Earthchanges_discussion_prep_planetx".

Well, whadya expect, it appears to be interconnected to the zeta group.

A google search turned up this list. (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;q=Earthchanges%5Fdiscussion%5Fprep%5Fplanetx)

BTW, when I try to go to the site, yahoo groups says it doesn't exist. Alas! Another conspiracy no doubt. 8-[ :o

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Aug-31, 02:35 AM
It's now called Earth_Changes_central (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Earth_Changes_Central/messages/). I am not sure why these groups keep changing their names. Perhaps it's because their logic changes, or they change topics because absolute, positive, 100% sure deadlines pass with nothing happening.

John Jones
2003-Aug-31, 02:36 AM
why doesn't someone just make up something that completely contradicts everything they say, but its said in the way they want it, they'll think its wonderful, and start using that as their newest source of "proof" and prove their incompetance &lt;IMG SRC="/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif">:D:D

you wouldn't be doing anything that they could ban you for, you're making stuff up, so are they!!!

If you can figure out a way to do it, you'll get my vote.

tmosher
2003-Aug-31, 02:51 AM
Earth Changes Central...what a name.

Has anyone noticed that tt-watch is moribund? Their moderation is set to HIGH and practically nothing gets posted these days. Either that or everyone has abandoned ship.

John Jones
2003-Aug-31, 01:52 PM
Earth Changes Central...what a name.

Has anyone noticed that tt-watch is moribund? Their moderation is set to HIGH and practically nothing gets posted these days. Either that or everyone has abandoned ship.

Oddly enough, Nancy was bragging about the 730+ members of TT-Watch at the last Zetacult board meeting.

I wonder how many of these are banned? You won't find more then a dozen names in any given month.

Dr_Von_Loon
2003-Aug-31, 02:41 PM
C'mon Phil, you didn't know? The Zetas can't stand you because you
use science and they're stuck with pseudoscience with a no zero
mathematics system!

I've heard they've hired Bobba Fett to give you a wedgie...... :D :wink:

BTW anyone know what's on the Remote Viewing Channel tonight?

WolfKC
2003-Aug-31, 10:22 PM
If Nancy disagreed with the Zetas, could they ban her from her own brain? 8-[

Gmann
2003-Aug-31, 10:29 PM
If Nancy disagreed with the Zetas, could they ban her from her own brain? 8-[

I think they already did! :lol:

tracer
2003-Sep-02, 02:16 AM
C'mon Phil, you didn't know? The Zetas can't stand you because you use science and they're stuck with pseudoscience with a no zero mathematics system!
:o Why, sir, are you saying that comets don't fall straight toward the sun and only miss it because they're pushed away by the solar wind? Or that a pop-fly in a baseball game doesn't fall straight down into the outfielder's glove?

(Several years ago, Nancy claimed that the Zetas told her both of these physics "facts". Really.)

LTC8K6
2003-Sep-02, 02:32 AM
Of course a pop fly falls straight down! #-o :roll: :-k :-?

http://www.zetatalk.com/science/s59.htm

Stylesjl
2003-Sep-02, 08:00 AM
Any site thats decent would allow people to give their oppostion without censorship or oppression

They should be able to throw off the claims of your website if they were right

Otherwise they are wrong AND THATS A FACT!!!!!!!

foxd
2003-Sep-02, 02:23 PM
BTW anyone know what's on the Remote Viewing Channel tonight?

The Channeling Channel is much more entertaining! 8-[