PDA

View Full Version : IE7 beta

Tranquility
2005-Aug-02, 10:40 PM
So has anyone been fooling around with this? It's got the basic conveniences now, tabbed browsing, deleting personal data with one click, etc. Popup blocker is acting a bit weird though. Doesn't let you use websites to upload data by clicking on a "Choose" button to browse for an image to upload for instance, like the Choose button on the imageshack.us homepage.

Pretty much looks like a Firefox/IE6 hybrid. Here's a screenie:

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/9003/ie79zf.th.jpg (http://img302.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ie79zf.jpg)

Gotta dig in a bit more and read up on the security improvements that will be provided with the official version.

Opera is still my favourite :P

EDIT: Noticed there's also a built-in phishing filter. Cool stuff.

Gullible Jones
2005-Aug-02, 11:40 PM
That interface needs some cleaning up. The position of the menu bar is rather strange, and I think the inclusiont of stop and refresh buttons by default would be prudent.

(Hmm... Those color gradients and scrollbars don't look quite normal. You using a Longhorn beta?)

Jorge
2005-Aug-02, 11:55 PM
I'm a web developer so naturaly i installed it...
the GUI is crap... can be explains why though... look at Fista oops i mean Vista Explorer Screenshots

PNG transparency support is great! but now PNG aren't accepted as background of a table or div...

CSS suport still sucks and will likely not get fixed even when IE7 goes final...
Something about being on the TODO but not that hight on the list...

... that really pissed me off, it doesn't support CSS, nor CSS2 or CSS3 doesn't follow WC3's rules ... gives us coders head aches!

page works fine in FireFox, Opera an Safari and is 100% Valid XHTML+CSS...
Guess waht doesn't work on IE6, and totaly doesn't work in IE7, the rendering has gotten worse!

Tranquility
2005-Aug-02, 11:56 PM
Nope not using the Longhorn beta. That's just what it looks like.

The menu positioning did take some getting used to. Tried moving them around but, I couldn't change their positions vertically.

Tranquility
2005-Aug-02, 11:59 PM
CSS suport still sucks and will likely not get fixed even when IE7 goes final...
Something about being on the TODO but not that hight on the list...

Really? It seems from what they were saying that CSS support was one of the main features of IE7.

Gullible Jones
2005-Aug-03, 01:49 AM
Then they'd better get cracking.

Kristophe
2005-Aug-03, 04:36 AM
Yeah, they only have 15 months until release. They'd better pick up the pace wildfire style.

Gullible Jones
2005-Aug-03, 05:48 AM
Eh, 15 months? That should give them enough time, I'd think... Then again, maybe not. Seems like cutting it a bit close...

(I'm not a programmer. If I just said something monumentally stupid, please forgive me. :P )

Tranquility
2005-Aug-03, 06:22 AM
Yeah, they only have 15 months until release. They'd better pick up the pace wildfire style.

Actually, IE7 for Windows XP SP1, SP2, and Server 2003 are all expected by the end of 2005.

Paul Thurott has got some pretty comprehensive info on it here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/ie7_preview_1.asp

EDIT: Also my bad, one of their touted features is RSS not CSS. I have no idea what they're preparing for CSS, perhaps it won't be well-supported, as Jorge mentioned.

mid
2005-Aug-03, 09:02 AM
I tried it briefly. Actually, I really, really hate the stuff they've nicked from Firefox and Opera at the moment. Largely because it's all in the wrong place compared to what I'm used to, but still similar enough to fool my eye at a glance.

That menu placement is utterly broken, and the worst bit by far, however. I'm sticking with Firefox for the time being.

Bilateralrope
2005-Aug-03, 10:07 AM
As I understand it, most of the security problems with IE stem from the fact that its intergrated too far with windows. If that gets fixed I may consider switching back to IE, but I doubt it will ever be fixed by microsoft.

Also I find the adblock extension for firefox a good way to get rid of those annoying adds (any add that is made using flash or hurts my eyes to look at).

Jorge
2005-Aug-03, 09:21 PM
well, they could use an opensource redering core... the mozilla one for example... although i'm not sure how that would be with copyrights but altease we would have closet o W3C redering.

Tranquility
2005-Aug-03, 10:38 PM
As I understand it, most of the security problems with IE stem from the fact that its intergrated too far with windows. If that gets fixed I may consider switching back to IE, but I doubt it will ever be fixed by microsoft.

This is exactly the opposite of what they're doing with IE7 for Windows Vista. They're building IE right into the OS's shell, to eradicate the notion of a standalone browser.

Gullible Jones
2005-Aug-03, 10:44 PM
You're kidding me! I thought they decided to make IE standalone, in view of security problems... Gah! Idiocy! :evil:

Seriously, if they're going to cater to the majority of desktop computer users, they could at least improve security by removing features long known to compromise it... :roll:

Jorge
2005-Aug-04, 12:09 AM
You're kidding me! I thought they decided to make IE standalone, in view of security problems... Gah! Idiocy! :evil:

Seriously, if they're going to cater to the majority of desktop computer users, they could at least improve security by removing features long known to compromise it... :roll:

In a few years well have and IE/Explorer hyghbreed

Humphrey
2005-Aug-04, 02:00 AM
Sigh...When will they learn? Peole hate them for making it nrear impossible to uninstall IE. Now they want to make it a core part of the program?

Should i just set out cookies and milk for the visruses and spyware bots that will now be patrolling every port?

But do not far. A year after release they will seriously put forth efforts into making sure our security is safe by thinking about putting people on a team to decide when to release a patch to put in the security that was supposed to be released at release, but was not beacuse it would of ment remaking a million or so CD's, costing what a hundred thousand dollars?

Kristophe
2005-Aug-04, 02:20 AM
Huh. And the countless lawsuits that stemmed from all of the "integration" in Win XP has apparently taught Microsoft nothing. Pity, that.

mid
2005-Aug-04, 08:48 AM

1) Open 'My Computer'.

2) Type 'http://www.badastronomy.com' in the directory address field.

3) Watch as the site appears.

4) Open IE

5) Type 'C:\' in the address bar

6) Watch as your disk contents show up.

It's far, far too late to worry about that one.

Bilateralrope
2005-Aug-04, 08:52 AM

That works in most browsers

Gullible Jones
2005-Aug-04, 11:27 AM
... Except that in IE, you can actually manage your files instead of just looking at them.

Jorge
2005-Aug-04, 12:25 PM

1) Open 'My Computer'.

2) Type 'http://www.badastronomy.com' in the directory address field.

3) Watch as the site appears.

4) Open IE

It's far, far too late to worry about that one.

Yeah i know, but IE then just switched from mode and and switched to becoming exlorer. It uses the same shared stuff.

Gullible Jones
2005-Aug-04, 12:52 PM
True, they are separate executables... explorer.exe and iexplore.exe, IIRC.

(Hmm... I wonder if IE can be used as a Windows shell? :lol: )

mid
2005-Aug-04, 02:37 PM
They may be seperate executables, but the iexplorer.exe that's still visible in my task manager is the one that's allowing me to move files around directories, right-click to send to programs and all the other things that I do with explorer.exe as well

Basically because they're both front-ends to the same bunch of dlls.

Jorge
2005-Aug-04, 06:22 PM
IE and Explorer share hooks and libraries...
Explorer can work with WebDAV... Or can it? Nope it can't! IE can... but yet you can access webdav direcories in explorer.

paulie jay
2005-Aug-04, 11:39 PM
Not that I want to be a total Microsoft basher (I didn't think that this waranted a new thread), is it just my system, or is the "search" feature in XP completely useless? I can ask it to find a file that I'm directly looking at with my own eyes, and all Poochy does is scatch the ground, then stare at me stupidly and instist that the file doesn't exist. :roll:

Jorge
2005-Aug-05, 12:05 AM
Not that I want to be a total Microsoft basher (I didn't think that this waranted a new thread), is it just my system, or is the "search" feature in XP completely useless? I can ask it to find a file that I'm directly looking at with my own eyes, and all Poochy does is scatch the ground, then stare at me stupidly and instist that the file doesn't exist. :roll:

1. Install tweakUI
2. look for an option to turn on clasic search for explore
3. you now have the Windows 2000 like search interface...
4. you will find files easly with stuff like *jorge*.txt, contains: astronomy

I also never could work with the dog, it never fidn anything

Padawan
2005-Aug-05, 01:33 AM
It seems to me that microsoft arent making a whole-hearted effort to bring us a userfriendly browser. Rather they keep their stubborn policy of IE.

Atleast I hope they will be hiring usability experts....

Long live Firefox...Amen! :P

Kristophe
2005-Aug-05, 01:44 AM

I've never had this problem, but then again I don't really use XP's search. I'm pretty good with knowing where most stuff is on my hard drive. I don't really have an extensive library of documents to sift through, so I can afford to maintain the database in my head.

That said, I have no idea what they were thinking when they developed XP's search. Or their Office assistant. These "cute" animated characters need to go.

paulie jay
2005-Aug-05, 02:08 AM

1. Install tweakUI

Thanks Jorge, I'll try that!

edited to add Kristophe, generally I'm the same as you - most times I know where my files are, but there are times when a real search tool would come in handy.

Gullible Jones
2005-Aug-05, 05:43 AM
Long live Firefox...Amen!

Now, I haven't got any serious issues with Firefox, but I'm still waiting for someone to port Webcore to GTK...

Jorge
2005-Aug-05, 07:29 AM

1. Install tweakUI

Thanks Jorge, I'll try that!

edited to add Kristophe, generally I'm the same as you - most times I know where my files are, but there are times when a real search tool would come in handy.

I got my hardrive map in my brean too,...
But its nice if you need to find a libery or dll.

Tranquility
2005-Aug-05, 12:51 PM
BTW if you folks want to read up about WinV or IE7 or any upcoming MS projects, Paul Thurott's website, www.winsupersite.com is an excellent resource on this.

Jorge
2005-Aug-05, 07:46 PM
BTW if you folks want to read up about WinV or IE7 or any upcoming MS projects, Paul Thurott's website, www.winsupersite.com is an excellent resource on this.

Yeah that site is great