PDA

View Full Version : just a question about the 2010 book...

jokergirl
2002-Aug-25, 08:30 PM
here's a treat for you:

i was always wondering what would really happen if, say, jupiter turned into a sun? they were turning the planet into a sun by adding mass to it so it gets denser. but... wouldn't this greatly affect the gravitational effects between jupiter, its moons, and even the sun? would jupiter and the sun form a binary system then - how would it look like?

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ps: first post - pardon me for any rookie errors /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Kaptain K
2002-Aug-26, 02:22 AM
Welcome, jokergirl.

As I remember it, they weren't adding mass. They were compressing the same mass to the point where fusion would take place. If so, there would be no change in the orbital dynamics.

Senor Molinero
2002-Aug-26, 02:23 AM
Welcome Jokergirl.
It's been a while since I read 2010, but I'm not sure if they were adding mass to Jupiter or just compressing the existing mass until it reached the density to fuse and become self-perpetuating. great book though.

jokergirl
2002-Aug-26, 08:09 AM
Well, if I remember correctly, the Monolith device multiplied, sort of, which would definitely add mass...
If I'm mistaken, of course, or if the question is solved in the 2061 or 3001 book (haven't read either!), tell me so and think of the question as a meaningless thought example.

Russ
2002-Aug-27, 04:11 PM
On 2002-08-26 04:09, jokergirl wrote:
Well, if I remember correctly, the Monolith device multiplied, sort of, which would definitely add mass...
If I'm mistaken, of course, or if the question is solved in the 2061 or 3001 book (haven't read either!), tell me so and think of the question as a meaningless thought example.

If you read the later books such as 2061 and 3001 you will find out that the monoliths are just projections, like a slide photograph on a movie screen, and not substantial. For this reason the multiple monoliths around Jupiter would not add mass beyond that of the volume of light/dark they reprsent.

The book 2001 and all of it's sequels are well worth the time to read. You have my permition to go ahead and doittoit. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif