PDA

View Full Version : My new Honda Odyssey

John Kierein
2005-Aug-07, 12:48 PM
It's a great car. The only complaint was from my daughter's family who drove it to Vail. They said the speaker made a buzzing sound even though the speakers were turned off.
I'm pretty sure it was the noise cancellation system. It probably doesn't work at high altitude where the speed of sound is lower??
The Honda engineers need to add an altimeter to the feedback loop. They put the noise cancellation system in to compensate for the slight increase in engine noise when the "econ" mode kicks in when it goes to 3 cylinder operation to save gas. May get out of synchronization at high altitude.

I wonder if the speed of sound affects noise cancellation systems. Anybody know?

electromagneticpulse
2005-Aug-07, 02:53 PM
As a guess if the sound cancellation system is programmed/designed whatever to work in standard conditions and doesn't actually involve an active noise cancellation (I've heard about some that can cancel out most city sounds for homes) then if your engine is putting out a different sound due to lower air pressure then it may be possible.

I'm sure someone will come along and nuke my guess out of the water though :)

hhEb09'1
2005-Aug-07, 03:44 PM
The first review returned on google (Automobile magazine) (http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0410_honda_odyssey/) says the system is active.