PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the iceberg

sarongsong
2005-Aug-08, 01:39 AM
August 7, 2005 (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/07/AR2005080700843_pf.html)
"Washington Post: Military Drafts War Plans for Domestic Terror Attacks..."
[edited to correct for now-available link]

Enzp
2005-Aug-08, 02:09 AM
Are you saying that is all they lettuce know?

tofu
2005-Aug-08, 02:23 AM
Enzp, you need to ketchup and get with the program

Gullible Jones
2005-Aug-08, 02:38 AM
That is one poorly laid out website... :o

Archer17
2005-Aug-08, 02:47 AM
That's also an often infected website (trojans, spyware).

Gullible Jones
2005-Aug-08, 04:14 AM
Really? Dang, I am glad I use Linux... :o Me thinks it's time to haul out chkrootkit!

(Nope, no rootkits or trojans found. Ought to install another rootkit sniffer though, and see what it finds... Okay, it is pretty unlikely that that website infected me with anything, but you can't be too careful these days.)

Enzp
2005-Aug-08, 05:25 AM
I yam trying.

sarongsong
2005-Aug-08, 06:02 AM
Drudge explained on his radio show tonite that the Washington Post had not gotten the story (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/07/AR2005080700843_pf.html) online before he broke it. (First I've heard his site is bug-prone---thanks!)
"...the military's expanded involvement in homeland defense could bump up against the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878, which restricts the use of troops in domestic law enforcement. But Pentagon authorities have told Congress they see no need to change the law..."

Enzp
2005-Aug-08, 06:41 AM
That assumes the administration has any qualms about declaring martial law. I doubt they do. I think they would do that in a heartbeat.

It would be irresponsible NOT to have contingency plans for various terrorist scenarios.

Sammy
2005-Aug-08, 04:10 PM
That assumes the administration has any qualms about declaring martial law. I doubt they do. I think they would do that in a heartbeat.

It would be irresponsible NOT to have contingency plans for various terrorist scenarios.

On your 2d point: of course.

On your 1st point: we still have a judicial system as the 3d leg of government. The Executive Branch could declare martial law, but unless there is clear and convincing evidence that it is required, Courts would strike it down. I'm not a fan of this Administration, but I will not accuse them of wanting to stage a coup and make this country a dictatorship.

collegeguy
2005-Aug-08, 11:23 PM
I don't see how the military getting involved in homeland defense would immediately mean an attempt to stage a coup. Of course, I know many conspiracy theorists will tell me that's exactly what will happen.

Sam5
2005-Aug-09, 12:54 AM
August 7, 2005 (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/07/AR2005080700843_pf.html)
"Washington Post: Military Drafts War Plans for Domestic Terror Attacks..."
[edited to correct for now-available link]

I was in Mississippi when Kennedy sent federal troops in. Back in '62. The town I was in was under Martial Law. It had military roadblocks every couple of blocks. Military guys with M-16s searched everyone's cars. Rather unusual.

Sam5
2005-Aug-09, 12:56 AM
Oh, and I was also under Martial Law in Watts in Los Angeles in '62, National Guard guys shooting people, and near-Martial Law in Chicago in '68. Lots of federal troops with rifles on the streets of Chicago. Also, Laconia, NH, back in '65, Martial Law. Troops with guns and tear gas. Rather exciting.

Sammy
2005-Aug-09, 03:29 AM
Probably scary, SAM5, but both cases pretty clear examples of the proper use of martial law -- the inability (or unwillingness) of local authorities to maintain public safety.

Enzp
2005-Aug-09, 05:42 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to imply a dictatorship, I just meant that if something went down, the current admin would not hesitate to use ML as a tool. Thus obviating Posse Comitatus problems.

sarongsong
2005-Aug-09, 06:47 AM
Maybe even without ML.
"...It is possible that some future President could exercise this vast authority [Executive Orders And Laws relating to National Emergencies] in an attempt to place the United States under authoritarian rule. While the danger of a dictatorship arising through legal means may seem remote to us today..."
Joint Statement, Sens. Frank Church (D-ID) and Charles McMathias (R-MD) September 30, 1973 (http://linkfilter.net/?id=45923)

AGN Fuel
2005-Aug-09, 07:31 AM
Oh, and I was also under Martial Law in Watts in Los Angeles in '62, National Guard guys shooting people, and near-Martial Law in Chicago in '68. Lots of federal troops with rifles on the streets of Chicago. Also, Laconia, NH, back in '65, Martial Law. Troops with guns and tear gas. Rather exciting.

Could you give us a bit of advance warning if you intend to come to Sydney, Sam5?

You sound like you've got a greater strike rate than Jessica Fletcher...