PDA

View Full Version : Review in Sky & Telescope...

JS Princeton
2002-Aug-26, 07:13 PM
Sorry, no URL. I got the October issue of S&T today, and the book received a decent review. The only criticism mentioned wasn't really a criticism at all:

Plait debunks common misconceptions.... Then he takes off the gloves and goes after those he deems responsible for intentionally spreading misinformation saying, "Of all the forms of bad astronomy, pseudoscience is the most pernicious."

He spends a chapter on a best-selling book of a few decades ago, Immanuel Velikovsky's World's in Collision.... The title of this chapter, "Worlds in Derision," pretty much tips off the attitude of the author.

Other targets include creationists, ufologists, and star-naming outfits. Astrology comes under particularly vicious attack. According to the author, "Astrology doesn't work. It's hooey, hogwash, and balderdash.... Astrologers rely on mumbo-jumbo to bamboozle the public." Gee, tell us how your really feel, Phil!

Otherwise, the reviewer (who admits to learning astronomy through osmosis) relates,

If you're like me...Plait will have you saying over and over again, "I didn't know that!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JS Princeton on 2002-08-27 20:44 ]</font>

Chip
2002-Aug-30, 05:33 AM
Congratulations Phil! Excellent (two page) illustrated review by Bud Sadler on page 63 of the October issue. (The review has a funny ending too.)

2002-Sep-20, 11:42 AM
On 2002-08-26 15:13, JS Princeton wrote:

Astrologers r