PDA

View Full Version : Sad state of C-to-C AM

tbm
2005-Aug-08, 10:16 PM
Greetings!

So this morning I was listening to the Richard Hoagland er, Coast to Coast show.........

Is is me or is RCH really an annoying publicity hound? He kept breaking in when the guest was talking. Then he started in on the possibily of weather manipulation (the "mysterious doppler ring") which George (of course) picked up on. I got such a "know it all" feeling from RCH and conspiracy theories were such a strong undercurrent in many of his comments. Did anyone catch the lady who called in about her neighbor who had invented some sort of flying perpetual motion machine. A real scientist would have steered the talk to the impossibility of such a thing, but RCH started up about some "hyperdimensional" whozit and George fanned the lady's fire about "them" who did something to silence the inventor.

I guess this is just a rant about the sad state of Coast-to-Coast. Instead of being a useful conduit to actually inform the public about useful scientific knowledge, instead it panders to the small-minded people who can't accept the most reasonable explanation for ANY "phenomenae". And this is surely a rant about RCH, who is the kind of mind who is far happier tooting his own horn about strange and unseemly premises and "facts" about almost anything but what makes sense. His is surely a good mind wasted on inane things.

Sadly, tbm

sarongsong
2005-Aug-08, 10:48 PM
Yep, RCH's 'hyperdimensional' ego has been thoroughly noted on the BABB. The show has never recovered from the inimitable Art Bell's departure, prior to which he took un-screened listeners' calls and Keith Rowland ran the website with free archive access. When I called Noory on his feeble attempt last week, to take credit for introducing Vietnam-era nurse Joyce Riley's tireless work (http://gulfwarvets.com/) on exposing the government's cavalier indifference to subsequent veterans' medical/mental problems, by pointing out Art had done it much earlier, he e-mailed back, "When?". Ha!---he's the one who has the archives that go that far back.
[edited to correct Joyce Riley link.]

Eoanthropus Dawsoni
2005-Aug-08, 10:51 PM
Don't let it bother you too much. Coast to Coast is the radio equivalent of the Weekly World News.

tbm
2005-Aug-08, 11:05 PM
Don't let it bother you too much. Coast to Coast is the radio equivalent of the Weekly World News.

Yes, that is true. However, both have a large audience that deserves to be given good information. Of course those interested in that rarely go to either, but I still think it's a waste of good resources.

:(

Regards, tbm

Eoanthropus Dawsoni
2005-Aug-09, 03:25 AM
It is a waste of resources, at least from our point of view. Unfortunately, the show does provide the audience with what it wants to hear. I am afraid that a late night radio program featuring only lucid discussion would not last long.

Art used to have a fairly good mix of guests. The majority of air time was devoted to nut jobs, but he did get sane guests on a regular basis. Sanity is rare on Coast to Coast now that Noory has the show. But their market research people must believe that insanity sells well.

Enzp
2005-Aug-09, 05:46 AM
Yes, that is true. However, both have a large audience that deserves to be given good information. Of course those interested in that rarely go to either, but I still think it's a waste of good resources.

But it is not an information show in the sense of NOVA. it is entertainment, just like professional wrestling. And he is no more going to take his guests to task over the science than Pro Wrestling will introduce rules and real referees and actual competition.

Tacitus
2005-Aug-09, 04:03 PM
I just noticed yesterday that Hoagland has started his own weblog and is updating it fairly regularly.

The only problem? He's as much a windbag in the blog as he is on the radio. And while you can just sit back and listen when he's on C-to-C, it actually takes an effort to read his entries, most of which go on *forever*. Even when he manages to keep it reasonably short, he comes back with an addendum or two - quite often longer than the original entry.

Maybe it's just me, but when I try to read a new entry on his blog, I get about two paragraphs in and then my eyes just seem to slide across the page, unable to read what he says.

He really needs to learn how to blog properly. (But it's fine by me if he doesn't :)

Eoanthropus Dawsoni
2005-Aug-09, 09:10 PM
But it is not an information show in the sense of NOVA. it is entertainment, just like professional wrestling. And he is no more going to take his guests to task over the science than Pro Wrestling will introduce rules and real referees and actual competition.

I certainly agree with you on that one.

Enzp
2005-Aug-10, 03:39 AM
I get that eyes rolled back thing hearing him on the radio.

I used to regularly send Art Bell a "fast blast" email saying, "Hoagland overload, tuning to music station now." Doubt it helped though.