PDA

View Full Version : A Trip To The Moon For $100 Million

RBG
2005-Aug-10, 10:54 PM
I notice on CNN online that there is a plan afoot to use Soyuz/Russian technology to get private citizens to the moon for $100 million a pop.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/10/news/funny/moontrip/index.htm?cnn=yes

Makes me wonder why the Soviets could not have gone for broke during the space race and done a NASA by just looping the moon and back? Or was that the problem - their booster broke.

The current plan is to launch a Soyuz capsule & then, separately, a booster to later combine in orbit & then fire them (pilot & passenger) towards the moon.

This got me thinking that on the most basic level (and naiively oversimplified), don't you "just" need some heavy rocket power along with the know-how as to what direction you must fire your boosters to enable a slingshot trip around the moon & back? Why do HBers think this requires advanced computers & electronics?

RBG

mcclir
2005-Aug-10, 11:41 PM
Don't they realize they'll be fried in the Van Allen Belts??? Better get Bart Sibrel to investigate this one :P

GDwarf
2005-Aug-10, 11:45 PM
Don't they realize they'll be fried in the Van Allen Belts??? Better get Bart Sibrel to investigate this one :P
No doubt there'll be some talk about how only ones that NASA aproved got to go (Not that NASA would have anything to do with these...). That would satisfy those who claim that you can't go to the moon, it would also satisfy Hoagland and his aliens.
Or, the claim will simply be modified to "Well, of course we can go now but we couldn't then!"
All this will do, at best, is disprove one or two claims (Van Allen Belts, we haven't gone in over 30 years, why not?)

kucharek
2005-Aug-11, 04:59 AM
In 1968, plans for a circumlunar flight by the Soviets were pretty advanced. They had already done a few unmanned test flights, called Zond. In general, these were Sojus spacecraft launched by a Proton. They had not the capability to go into lunar orbit, just a fly-by on a free return trajectory.
They ran into some problems, and after Apollo 8 went into lunar orbit, a manned Zond-style flight wouldn't have been a first.

Maksutov
2005-Aug-11, 05:13 AM
[edit]This got me thinking that on the most basic level (and naiively oversimplified), don't you "just" need some heavy rocket power along with the know-how as to what direction you must fire your boosters to enable a slingshot trip around the moon & back? Why do HBers think this requires advanced computers & electronics?

RBG
Emphasis added.

Why do I get the feeling that publiusr will be by shortly? :D

NEOWatcher
2005-Aug-11, 12:00 PM
No doubt there'll be some talk about how only ones that NASA aproved got to go (Not that NASA would have anything to do with these...). That would satisfy those who claim that you can't go to the moon, it would also satisfy Hoagland and his aliens.
Or, the claim will simply be modified to "Well, of course we can go now but we couldn't then!"
All this will do, at best, is disprove one or two claims (Van Allen Belts, we haven't gone in over 30 years, why not?)
I don't think they even have to go that far. They will claim that orbiting the moon is easy when compared to actually landing and taking off.

Donnie B.
2005-Aug-11, 01:38 PM
It's interesting that this plan is based on the Earth Orbit Rendezvous profile. It may well be that this is the most efficient method of doing a lunar flyby, as opposed to a lunar landing.

PhantomWolf
2005-Aug-11, 02:37 PM
I don't think they even have to go that far. They will claim that orbiting the moon is easy when compared to actually landing and taking off.

Well perhaps, but then you can at least get them to a position of admiting that Apollo 7 and 8 were real. Then it's a case of geting them to accept that Apollo 9 and 10 were real, and then get them to explain why it wasn't possible to finish the last 50,000 feet of Apollo 11

ToSeek
2005-Aug-11, 02:48 PM
ToSeeked (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=23230)

Trivial Pursuit
2005-Aug-11, 11:55 PM
Everyone could pitch in for one way passes for the HB's. :)

Samara
2005-Aug-12, 02:36 AM
ToSeek, just curious, do you have like insider informants into the news industry who routinly give you the scoop? How do you do it??

mathyou9
2005-Aug-12, 05:35 AM
Everyone could pitch in for one way passes for the HB's. :)

LOL! But even then, I'm sure they'd convince themselves that their trip was faked.