PDA

View Full Version : Signes review

poorleno
2002-Sep-03, 04:44 PM
___
Take a look at a map of the Earth. What do you see? Water! 75% or so of our planet is covered in water. It's in our air, in the rocks, in all the plant life. Would you consider invading an alien planet that was mostly, say, sulphuric acid? I think you'd either find a protective suit or check your starmap for the nearest other invadable planet. It's just plain silly to think that aliens who die when contacted by water would invade us.

Worse, and I mean really worse, they invade because they are harvesting us, presumably to eat us. We are actually over 80% water! One bite and it's bye-bye alien.

This bit ruined the movie for me. It's such a glaring plot hole that, in my opinion, it just negated anything else that might have been positive in the movie. It's really amazing to me that no one thought of this small problem when making this flick.

I don't expect every movie to be nitpickingly accurate over every agonizing detail. But I do expect there to not be plotholes big enough to orbit a planet through.

Aliens A want to eat some humans. Yum!Yum! They come in the ships (the yellow ones !!!) and mark the best human-concentrations with cool circles all over the place. Then they quickly engineer some alien B that would be disposable (like in SG1) throw them out of their flashy space-domes and wait. Aliens B search for signes, get humans and… do something… Then they screw up big time and get a water shower... Aliens A think "oH gee too bad we wasted all that green goo that makes these ****ty drones, let's go to Nabbo and get some more. Puff... Without the sarcasm, wouldn't engineered alien be the most logical thing to send?

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Sep-03, 05:04 PM
That quote is from BA's review (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/signs_review.html), but BA puts up plenty of spoiler warnings.

poorleno
2002-Sep-03, 05:35 PM
Yes it is - that was the point. I disagree... That's why i put it in Bad Bad Astro...

Ehm.. confusion... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Sep-03, 05:45 PM
Bad Bad Astronomy is for bugs and errors on the board, not the website itself. Astronomy and movies belongs here.

poorleno
2002-Sep-03, 05:49 PM
Oh the humanity! Pardon!