PDA

View Full Version : moon nonsense

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-26, 02:22 PM
Can I make what I believe is a most salient point about all the moon hoax theories floating around out there which I do regard as nonsense. If the whole thing was a hoax can anyone seriously tell me the Russians wouldn't have exposed it the minute that NASA was trying to fool everyone? What possible motive could the Russians have had for not exposing the fakery of the whole thing?

I think the fact that didn't happen is as good an indication as any that they were in fact legit and did happen. May I remind some of you out there about the emnity that existed between the two nations in question at that time!

spfrss
2005-Oct-26, 02:41 PM
Yes, we spoke a lot about this, but a real HB would say that Soviets wer bribed with wheat, or money or whatever you want, and basically with every argument you're in a no-win situation 'cause you try to be rational with highly irrational people, so better thing (for me) stopping to waste time&neurons with HB'ers and do something more creative.
Mauro

tofu
The Russians (actually the Soviets) didn't expose it because their whole space program was fake too. Nobody has ever been "into space." There are no comm sats. There is no "space station" and the shuttle is a fake too. It goes up a ways and then just flies accross the atlantic and lands at the secret base in Africa. Then they load it on a 747 and bring it back. Why do you think NASA blew up Challenger and Discovery? It was to keep a few troublemaker astroNOTs quiet.

You just don't understand. Every government knows about and protects its citizens from the terrible secret of space. Only I know the truth, and I think they are close to finding me even now. OMG! What's that noise! OMG! It's them! Listen, you have to spread the word! Go to Washington DC. Contact Dave D... (carrier lost)

JayUtah
Right, most of the people propounding the hoax theory didn't live during the Cold War. The general argument given to address that problem is that the Soviets agreed to keep quiet about the hoax in exchange for grain shipments from the United States.

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-26, 02:49 PM
tofu, roflmao! :) :) :) loving it!

Relic
2005-Oct-26, 05:48 PM
This was the first rebuttal I made to a friend (whom I respect very much) who started making moon hoax claims based on "evidence" he had found on various hoax sites. It turns out it was nearly the only rebuttal I needed to make and he has since come to his senses. After all, friends don't let friends believe nonsense -- although he still claims that questioning the moon landings is "healthy" for science.

N C More
2005-Oct-26, 06:00 PM
.... Nobody has ever been "into space." There are no comm sats. There is no "space station" and the shuttle is a fake too. It goes up a ways and then just flies accross the atlantic and lands at the secret base in Africa...

Yeah, all that! And of course, everybody knows that nobody can survive going through the "Van Haylen" belt's radiation! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/frech/e040.gif

publiusr
2005-Oct-26, 08:14 PM
tofu, roflmao! :) :) :) loving it!

He's back at the group home...nothing to see here...move along.

SolusLupus
2005-Oct-27, 05:47 AM
This was the first rebuttal I made to a friend (whom I respect very much) who started making moon hoax claims based on "evidence" he had found on various hoax sites. It turns out it was nearly the only rebuttal I needed to make and he has since come to his senses. After all, friends don't let friends believe nonsense -- although he still claims that questioning the moon landings is "healthy" for science.

I agree! Questioning the moon landings is VERY healthy, both for a person's critical thinking skills, AND for science in general.

The only thing is, there's a difference between probing curiosity and automatic conclusion. Claiming that the moon landing was faked based on very little evidence, never admitting that the evidence is conjecture or faulty, and never looking at the actual evidence of a moon landing, is NOT healthy, either for science OR for critical thinking.

One of the main reasons it's healthy is because... well, let me relate to you my personal story and hope that clarifies it.

Personally, I thought that the moon landings were real. The idea they were faked were an "eh" for me at first. I was pretty skeptical from the beginning, and even if I had read nothing on it, I still wouldn't believe that the landings were fake.

However, I read the Bad Astronomer's website and book that dealt with the "faked moon landings". The stuff I read there was fascinating, to say the least. And what happened when I came out of it?

I had a better understanding of the moon's dust, how things move in space, the astronaut's spacesuit and how it worked, how air conditioning can work in space, the effects of sunlight in space without an atmosphere. Those are just a few examples of things I learned, that I probalby wouldn't have learned if there was no one questioning the moon landings!

So yes, I think that questioning something is healthy. Over-questioning it can be a waste of time, or it can help broaden your mind (I question a lot of things, and have since the beginning of my time on this spaceship called Earth- from religion to how I perceive time to if I was the "Chosen One"... erm, don't mind the last one, it was a phase I went through when I was young, long story). However, when you get to the point where you refuse to learn or re-evaluate your beliefs or thoughts on something, that is SO not healthy it's not even funny. Unfortunately, the more extreme of conspiracy theorists in general can never be convinced to change their doctrine :(