PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Two Telescopes Act as One

Fraser
2003-Jul-08, 08:24 PM
SUMMARY: Astronomers have directly observed a hot disc of dust and gas surrounding a protostar using the twin W.M. Keck telescopes in Hawaii. This is the first published science observation using a technology called interferometry, which combines the light from several telescopes to act as a larger observatory - the twin 10-metre Keck telescopes act as a virtual 85 metre telescope. The observation was of DG Tau, a T-Tauri object which is so young its centre star hasn't begun burning hydrogen; it's surrounded by a disc of dust and gas that could form planets.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-21, 09:07 AM
I think that combining telescopes from different locations is definitely the way to go, isn't that part of the plan for the new telescopic system in the sky to replace Hubble? Correct me if I'm wrong, which I likely am, but does that have anything to do with the James Webb Telescope slated for launch in the next few years?

ToSeek
2005-Oct-21, 02:05 PM
I think that combining telescopes from different locations is definitely the way to go, isn't that part of the plan for the new telescopic system in the sky to replace Hubble? Correct me if I'm wrong, which I likely am, but does that have anything to do with the James Webb Telescope slated for launch in the next few years?

No, JWST has a mirror made up of separate components, but so far as I know they're not planning on doing interferometry with it.