PDA

View Full Version : I'm listening...

Fraser
2003-Jul-12, 03:32 AM
This forum is to discuss things about Universe Today in general. Do you have suggestions or feedback for the site? I'd love to hear it.

Planetwatcher
2003-Jul-14, 05:30 AM
Hi Frasier;
I like the idea of the forums.
Kind of reminds me of the old BBS days when open and interesting diolouges occured regularly on many different subjects.

Many of the sys-ops presented and encouraged very thought provoking conversations, and kept things in order. Unlike today's chat rooms.

Back then I had an old Atari with a 300 bps external modem. Standard was 600 bps, and state of the art was the brand new 286 with the blazing 1,200 bps.
That was the IBM compatible world of course. I couldn't tell you what Mac (Apple) was doing.

This was a very long time ago of course, and I had a macro list of about 25 BBSes
(4 or 5 I was on regularly) Todays compairison would be having several ISPs each with their own web site and list of forums.

Thanks for the memories.

Planetwatcher

VARN
2003-Jul-15, 12:21 AM
I need help when I try to reply to "Universe Today Forums -> Space and Astronomy (members only - register for free) -> Astronomy -> Do we even need space telescopes?" I get this:

"Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, you do not have permission to reply to that topic "

Is this something I can fix? If so, how?

Fraser
2003-Jul-15, 05:48 AM
Hi, sorry about that. I'd made a mistake when I set that category up so that only I could answer my own question. It's been fixed. :-)

DippyHippy
2003-Jul-16, 03:13 AM
LOL "I'm listening" :D

I think this is great... something like this has been long overdue. Sure there are a *lot* of astronomy forums online but I have a feeling this is going to be one of the more dynamic and friendly - not to mention topical!

I'm looking forward to getting stuck in :)

Dips

rodonnell
2003-Jul-16, 09:51 AM
Hi Fraser,

A quick WELL DONE.

There is a lot of work in the web site and now the forum,a nd I think you have accomplished something that you can be really rpoud of.

Especially as I gather you fit this in between being a father, partner and employee.

I guess sleep somethings is optional.

Well done.

Regards

Rod

Duane
2003-Jul-16, 03:01 PM
I just want to say thanks Fraser, I have been getting your newsletter for a long time now and I think you do a fabulous job.

Arramon
2003-Jul-16, 10:17 PM
HERE HERE!! :)

Where are all the space fanatics?!
Oh yes!! They are probably gazing as i speak!

I just love the option of being able to voice my own opinions and views about something that i have loved since i was yea high (hand about 4 feet off the ground)

:)

Keep it up! And please people, respond!!
There is too much going on in this world for us not to notice the wonders that are above, around, beyond, near, and so far from us...
enough WARS!!! enough bloodshed!! enough fighting for land on this puny planet that we are stuck on!! Let us commense the greatest journey of all....

The exploration of Space!!

It will be very interesting to see the affects our new discoveries will have on our children and their future children... and the technologies that they will discover in their own time...

Let us believe that we will last that long... and that our great great grand children will one day leave this world and start to colonize elsewhere...

...={Arramon}=...

Fraser
2003-Jul-17, 01:27 AM
Thanks thanks. :-)

I've actually had a great dialog with readers for several years now, but I never really gave them the chance to connect with each other. I've had the chance to talk with so many great people, so it just made sense to put together this forum.

Batchers
2003-Jul-17, 09:57 AM
Hey everyone,
B)
Just a quick note to say I think the site rox and the forum can only make it better for us all.
Its great to see such a range of knowledge in the forums from all ends of the scale. Keep up the good work all.

thomastech
2003-Jul-17, 05:35 PM
This is is my first post Fraser, & I just wanted to say "Hello" & "Good Job"...

I also want to intro. myself...
Profile (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?cmd=view_feedback&id=50389)

Please visit your new Syndicated page:
Space News (http://www.customlook.us/SpaceNews.htm)
& Download the"Virtual International Space Station"

Have Fun !

From the N. Shore of Lake Livingston Tx.
Mark Thomas

PS: Also Visit:
Life-Signs.Com (http://www.customlook.us/Life_Signs.html)

kashi
2003-Jul-20, 02:17 AM
Fraser,

I can't seem to get uploaded .swf files to work as avatars. Any suggestions?

Kashi

Fraser
2003-Jul-20, 03:03 AM
I disabled it, sorry. I don't want people to have to potentially upgrade their browsers just so they can render an avatar. Just do an animated GIF if you want some jazz in your sig/avatar.

Guest_Astrono
2003-Aug-04, 02:47 PM
Clock?

The clock on the web page says that I last visted

Welcome back; your last visit was on Aug 4 2003, 02:41 PM

However it is only 10:41 am Monday August 4 where I am?

Thanks

Fraser
2003-Aug-04, 03:51 PM
The forum is set for Greenwich Mean Time, so your local time is GMT-4. I'm GMT-7 here in Vancouver.

Jose Carlos
2003-Aug-04, 05:07 PM
Hi Fraser! its unbelived! about Deep Impact thanks for this unbelived proyect you make that mankind have future! I am impressive, thanks again.

imported_Astrono
2003-Aug-04, 08:53 PM
Whew!!

Thanks!

I thought I was getting ahead of myself!

Heh heh :D

Stephen
2003-Aug-06, 08:48 AM
Hi Fraser

Like the board and the site.

Still note that you have some sessions IDs but have managed to clear up some.

Fraser
2003-Aug-06, 05:02 PM
Some session IDs? Is that going to be an issue for some people?

Planetwatcher
2003-Aug-07, 07:23 PM
Hi Fraiser,
Was having problems getting my aviator loaded, but I opened a posting, then went into control and I think it went in.

Planetwatcher
2003-Aug-07, 07:25 PM
Yup, it worked, although I lost the post I was in at the time.
Thank you.

VARN
2003-Aug-10, 01:44 AM
Why has "Most users ever online was 1 on Jul 8 2003, 04:46 PM" never changed? With 398 users registered there must have been two on at the same time.

Fraser
2003-Aug-10, 01:58 AM
I'm not sure. I probably disabled some important feature. I'll take a look around the admin panel.

imported_Draco
2003-Aug-10, 03:35 AM
I'd like to take this opportunity to also congratulate you on an excellent website Fraser :D I did in another thread but i don't think you read it ;)
It is a very useful website, sometimes i quickly go onto the internet to mainly check out your site, because i'm too eager to see if there is anything new! :)

sky-high
2003-Aug-21, 03:22 PM
Fraser, me brother, where's the feature that enables me to see all the comments to a specific topic ?

Keep telling you bro, you should get us that chat, as a personal, all risk assumed feature. You just disclaim any responsibility for other people's rudeness; frankly I don't know about others, but when someon's rude to me, I don't exactly run home to mommy. Small chances though, this is a scientific site, we are talking scienific subjects which, let's being honest in their vast majority, either have very little impact on us and viceversa. Don't think that someone would try to impose his wiews swearing around.
Now of course, there are always sorry-asses (excuse the expression) who would feel offended by humor, even of not directed at them. Nothing to do with these ones, they have the opportunity to complain, and by all means should they be wanted to be left alone, I would be only to happy to oblige.
But I don't want to divagate, so, what do I click on to see all the comments?

Jerry - G
2003-Sep-07, 01:47 AM
:( Fraser, why is it I receive your news letters 1 - 2 days LATE ????????

Fraser
2003-Sep-07, 03:52 AM
There are probably a few factors going on. First, I typically start updating the website in the morning my time. So, assume it's around 10am or so PDT. I'm 8 hours behind GMT, so by the time I finish my newsletter it's about 8pm GMT. Then I send the newsletters out using my mail system. It typically takes about three hours to process the whole list, so that puts things at about 11:00pm GMT.

My mailserver will sometimes hang onto the emails for a few hours crunching them onto the Internet, and then sometimes there can be other delays.

If you live on the other side of the world, like say Australia, then you're 16 hours ahead of me, so it'll definitely be tomorrow when you get the newsletter.

But the bottom line is that the news is current when I write it. So it doesn't really matter which day or time it is where you live or where I live, by the time you receive the newsletter, the news is only a few hours old.

I could always write my newsletters from the future, and say it's tomorrow, but it would pretty much be the same thing. :-)

Matthew
2003-Oct-05, 09:56 AM
Fraser I was wondering if you can send those space pictures in your gallery out to Australia and how much extra it would cost.

Fraser
2003-Oct-05, 03:17 PM
Sure, they can ship them worldwide. Just go through and pick the ones you like. When you get to the shipping information, you give your address and it'll tell you how much it costs to go to Australia. As long as you're not in a big rush, it's not too expensive. I just looked through some past orders and someone paid $4.99 for a bunch of 8x10s, so it's not much.

Matthew
2003-Oct-07, 09:15 AM
Fraser would you be able to include a forum which discusses Sci-Fi books/movies and then talk about the scientific principles in them and if they were possible?

Fraser
2003-Oct-07, 03:49 PM
I'd rather not add a whole section, but why not create a new topic in the "Totally Off Topic" section? I'll make a mention of the discussion in the newsletter if you do it.

zephyr46
2003-Oct-13, 04:35 AM
Fraser
Do you think the chinese are just joking? :(
I reckon they'll wimp out. :unsure:
It's just to good to be true, going back to the moon :huh:

Fraser
2003-Oct-13, 05:39 AM
I think they're serious, and definitely able to do it. Look at the three-gorges dam.

zephyr46
2003-Oct-13, 05:50 AM
Good :D , have you seen the discussion in Genesis Flood? it's gettin a little heated in there :D