PDA

View Full Version : Hands up if you're planning a Marsathon this summe

DippyHippy
2003-Jul-16, 04:50 AM
I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Mars... but even I can't pass up this opportunity to observe the Red Planet. Unfortunately it's not ideally placed for me, here in England... :(

...so who amongst us will be turning their scopes skyward and who's going to get the best view?

Dips

kashi
2003-Jul-21, 01:35 PM
I live in Melbourne and I haven't looked at the ski lately. Whereabouts will Mars be in the Southern Hemisphere?

Josh
2003-Jul-22, 12:10 AM
Kashi,

In Melbourne Mars is rising these days at about 8:30 pm ... so at about 10ish it'll be clearly above the rooftops in the east - south east. I hadn't looked at Mars for a good while but did a couple of days ago. It's bigger. All grown up.

So yeah, It's up at a good time not too late and given that it's winter it's dark pretty early.

And Dippy, I didn't think anytime in England was a good time for star gazing, with all that perpetual cloud cover. hehehe ;)

DippyHippy
2003-Jul-24, 01:29 AM
Josh, you'll be eating your words when I emigrate to Arizona next year ;)

But otherwise, yeah, it sucks to be an astronomy buff here in England! Too much cloud!

I'll be out in Oklahoma in September so I'm hoping to get a good view of the red planet then :D

Dips

Fraser
2003-Aug-06, 07:47 PM
Okay, I'm taking the Mars marathon pretty seriously. In case you didn't seem the Universe Today homepage for today, I'm gathering together a list of places that telescopes will be set up to catch Mars for the public. If you're going to be out with your scope on the 26th, or 27th, let me know your location and I'll add you to my list.

It should be a great opportunity to build some enthusiasm for space and astronomy.

WendellG
2003-Aug-06, 09:22 PM
If anyone is passing through Burns, OR on 27 Aug. 2003, stop at the Shell station and ask directions up to Mosquito Flats. I've commondered my nephews telescope that I gave him for his 12th birthday and I am throwing a Mars Party. Everyone is welcome. CAVIATE: NO ETOH, (Alcohol) NO illegal drugs. There will be families there (mine included), and I own the property so BEST behavior will be observed.

Bring your own food, and soft drinks, I'll have one telescope set up.

Wendell

DippyHippy
2003-Aug-11, 02:44 AM
Because I work nights and we're out in the middle of nowhere (ish) I'm going to bring my 6" reflector in to work around that time so we can have a squint. With any luck I'll be able to show off a few other beauties too, like Albireo, the Pleiades, M31 etc :-)

Dips

MarQ
2003-Aug-11, 03:55 AM
I'm obsessed with Mars as an observer, and have been getting up at 5 a.m. a month ago, and now around 3 a.m. to see it at around Zenith. I make sketches, and have been shooting some film. But the CCD imagers are knocking out some great stuff. One info sharing site with many Association of Lunar and Planetary Observers on can be found at www.marsobserversgroup@yahoo.com.

Like Frazer said, this is a great time to promote astronomy as an avocation.
Dips should get some great views in September under dark, clear Okie skies.

I have convinced several night clubs to have a My Favorite Martian masquerade party, and me and my stargazing friends will have telescopes there to show the costumed aliens on Aug. 27--the day of closest approach of Mars at just under 34 million miles.

Mars will be the brightest red star you will ever see in the south skies. Enjoy!

BobbyD
2003-Aug-12, 01:21 AM
:( I live in Johnston,RI.That's a little to the west of Providence.I can't believe how horribly rotten the weather has been up here!!!The constant clouds and rain have kept me from observing Mars for over 3 weeks!!!!I haven't gotten any new photos and all I get to do is see other peoples' images!!!I'm really getting nervous....the opposition is almost here!!!

Fraser
2003-Aug-13, 05:55 PM
I've got a first draft of my Mars 2003 events list. You can visit it here (http://www.universetoday.com/html/special/mars2003.html).