PDA

View Full Version : Would You?

stephanie_dukie
2003-Jul-16, 03:01 PM
Here is a question!

If you were told that you could fly to space for a week of orbiting the Earth, BUT.... There is a 50% chance you would not make it home....

Would you go?

Duane
2003-Jul-16, 03:25 PM
Yep! :lol:

Fraser
2003-Jul-16, 03:29 PM
Nope. I'm all for flying in space, but I want to do it multiple times.

Mickey
2003-Jul-16, 08:51 PM
Fifty - Fifty odds are to great. If it were lower like 1 in 10 I might be tempted. Here is a related question. If Earth were ready to send a near-light speed craft (10 - 30% c) to a nearby star with known planets but the trip was one way would you volunteer to go?

Mickey

stephanie_dukie
2003-Jul-16, 09:11 PM
Hey Mickey,

I would NOT volunteer unless there had been proof that one of the planets were inhabitated by prior "volunteers". I would not have the courage to be "the first volunteer" to do this.

I guess in truth be told, I would actually want to know more IE: what we would live in, including the environment, how would we generate food for ourselves. If one of the planets were earth like though, my curiousity may over rule any fear I may have.

I have always been an underwater buff, and in a heartbeat I would live in the oceans if it were safeproof, but there is always that known thought that I could come out of the water into the real world.

Good Question though! Makes the mind wander with "what ifs" B)

ironpirate
2003-Jul-16, 11:45 PM
With a 50/50 chance, probably not. I'd want to live to relish the trip. I'd go to another star system, if I could survive the trip or at least live comfortably on the trip there. More than likely the system chosen would take longer than my lifetime, and I'd want the time in space I had to be worthwhile.

DippyHippy
2003-Jul-17, 04:26 AM
Great questions!

No to the one about the 50/50 odds... I'd want a better chance of survival than that. However, if it were the very first spaceflight and I'd go down as being the first man in space (obviously that'll never happen LOL) then yeah, I'd do it.

RE the one way trip to an exoplanet... I'd go if my wife and children could too... if it was just me, then no, sorry.

Dips

AtomicPenguin
2003-Jul-17, 05:55 AM
Yes and yes! Yes to the 50% chance of being smooshed on the way home, and yes to the one-way trip to another world.

All considered, I'd go for the week vacation if there was no chance of making it back.... I certainly wouldn't go now, but towards the end of my life? Sure.

And as for the one-way trip, it sure as hell wouldn't be much fun... I think I just might miss earth. But I'd go on principle. :-) Is that dumb? Maybe.

I'd hate myself if I passed up either opportunity.

Josh
2003-Jul-17, 10:05 AM
Ha! I was thinking about posing this very question.

When I saw the Columbia disaster, one of the very first things I thought was that if I was given the opportunity to go in their place knowing the outcome would be the same I'd snap it up in an instant.

As Fraser said, I'd also want to go multiple times. But if this was my one and only shot then I'd think about it very very hard!

I would not however be the first to shoot off into the great unknown all alone. Can I take my dog?

Arlo Tol
2003-Jul-17, 04:40 PM
Yep, on both questions!

The only thing I would regret is never being able to tell anyone about the things I would have seen.

Going to Mars and the odds for the round trip were 10% I would still go!
All great steps in history were made by people who dared to take a leap of faith.
This goes for chemistry , biology, etc. and off course for exploration of unknown territories.

And it would be an honor to be one of those people.

kjargirl
2003-Jul-17, 05:01 PM
I agree 100% with Arlo. Beautifully said. It would be an honor to go. But I would keep a journal and send it back to earth just in case so that I could share as much as possible about what I experienced. STS-107 kind of did that with all their video downlinks and emails they sent.

Russ
2003-Jul-17, 06:02 PM
Who do I get to go with. :D

quizzler2
2003-Jul-17, 07:14 PM
:rolleyes: I would go in a hearbeat if I could.

Malo
2003-Jul-17, 07:35 PM
:lol: Yep I'd go tomorrow with lesser odds as well.

Malo
2003-Jul-17, 07:38 PM
I'd go at the drop of a hat without a doubt. I saw a launch last year and it was mind blowing

Karen M.
2003-Jul-17, 07:40 PM
Without a doubt on the first question. Where do I sign? 50/50 is high odds - but - I would love to either come back and tell my stories or to die doing something I loved to do.

As far as the other question, it does leave a few questions, How may people are going? Family? Living conditions? Comfort level? Contact with home? All those things being answered, I would be a definate "maybe"!

SpaceBoy
2003-Jul-17, 08:45 PM
You bet as long as I didn't have to sit next to the N'Sync guy.

Paul
2003-Jul-17, 09:05 PM
I would take the 50/50 odds if I was going to space and breaking new ground from a scientific/exploration perspective. I would not accept those odds just for a joy ride. As for the related question, if the star trip was to be truely near the speed of light (and therefore short from a time perspective to me but not those on earth) and their was very good evidence of an earthlike planet around the star, I would take the one way trip. Of course, while I am adding conditions, I would be much more enthusiastic if I could start the engine again and head to the next candidate system if the first proved unfruitful.

jvcmur
2003-Jul-17, 09:10 PM
I'm 63 years old and have been waiting for routine space flight most of my life. I would go now if the chances were ten to one against me.

jc

KROGERMAN
2003-Jul-17, 10:18 PM
MAN IF I ONLY REALLY DID HAVE THE CHANCE. I MOST DEFINETLY WOULD GO!!!!!

2003-Jul-18, 12:14 AM
If it was my one opportunity to experience space travel, then I say, grab the opportunity and live life to the fullest. You only live once and to achieve a dream of going into space would be the biggest adrenalin rush, one that is not to be missed. :D Besides, there is the same chance of surviving as there is of perishing, so go for it.

Kerry

StarmanXavier
2003-Jul-18, 12:55 AM
I have the same answer for both questions. IT WOULD TAKE A REALLY BIG PERSON TO STOP ME GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY. The only thing I've everwanted to be is a space explorer. One of my earliest memories is looking up at the stars and wanting to go. It is, has been and I believe always will be my only dream.

P.S. As far as the 50/50 chance, that is always the odds. You will either succeed or you won't.

universe-R-us
2003-Jul-18, 01:33 AM
No way! 50/50 I like doing other things just as well, smile!! I'm all for going out into space, but I would like to live to enjoy it!

Lindsey
2003-Jul-18, 05:24 AM
Heck yeah!

:D

Lindsey
http://www.lmdute.com

marty
2003-Jul-18, 09:10 AM
I think the current odds of space flight are very favourable and would definately go. I have already duscussed this subject with my girlfriend after the Columbia disaster. She has no interest at all although i am trying to convert her. I have already started her fledgling interest in Aviation.
Back onto the subject though, i think 50:50 odds are a little too high at my current age but if i was in the age range of JC who is 63, i would possibly do it at those odds.
I would probably volunteer for the explorative travel to another star ayatem if i could take my loved ones with me but i dont think that would be likely. I would be much more interested ina two year mission to Mars and i think the sooner we start manned missions to our neighboring planet the better. I would like to be first on the list to go.

Marty

Techno
2003-Jul-18, 10:01 AM
At a 1 in 2 chance of surviving the orbits of our world ------ yes !
A trip into stellar journeying ---- no ------ I'm sure others will say yeah though !
I just know what I would commit to ! :unsure: :rolleyes: :D

Bjarne
2003-Jul-18, 03:39 PM
I'm reminded of the early explorers of our "little" home Earth. Some went because they either had to or it was their job. Others went simply out of sheer curiosity. Either way it took an awful lot of guts to undertake that adventure. Not knowing what was "around that next corner", many did die :( but they still kept on.

So it is with exploration of space and especially our solar home. Eventually we ARE going to need to send humans. And when we do... I would not even waste time thinking about the question! :P But I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime... Although I hope to see the first steps of human landings, it won't be me. I'll be too old then. As for the rest of you... do what it takes to get in line for that day! And that means education. Good luck to those who are the first to set foot on another planet!!!!!!!

Angstrom
2003-Jul-18, 04:35 PM
I'd go in a second!

Guest_mostwanted
2003-Jul-18, 07:10 PM
Orbiting earth is not that high frontier space endaveur...am not that kind of enthusiasts...so this type of trek with such conditions..won't worth my life..which is dedicated for researching for more advanced technologies to better invest space.

i have new post about the competition b/w the two high frontier plans: the orbital space colonies(adopted by mike combs, carl sagan, O'neil..) and planetary settlements(adopted by some NASA scientists) to be published soon in the suitable domain.
cheers!

mostwanted
2003-Jul-18, 07:12 PM
am not a guest, just forgot to log in before replying!
!!DUH!!

RUF
2003-Jul-18, 07:26 PM
I would go if there was a 50% chance of failure on return,
Not if there was a 50% chance of failure on ascent.

I would want to see Earth from space, then God could take me.

Cambo
2003-Jul-19, 12:02 AM
50/50? At these odds it would require some serious thinking. At the moment, it being a hypothetical the answer is "YES" shouted from the roof tops.

As for going "where no person has gone before" and not coming back, Nuh. It's a big risk without any "proof" when you get there something "intelligent" will greet you.

But hey, keep using your imagination - if it can be imagined it has a possibility of happening at sometime in the future. ;) :D :D

Gozer
2003-Jul-20, 03:23 PM
Take the chance just to go into orbit.... no.

To take the chance to another system...YES! With one restriction, I would want to be able to send data back. What would be the point if no one else had the opportunity to learn from it.

kashi
2003-Jul-21, 10:25 AM
No way! Not a chance! I am 18 though, so in 50 years time I may say something different.

N3373H
2003-Jul-22, 10:00 PM
I worry less about death than discovery. After all, if it wasn't for curious people with a spirit of adventure, we may never have stopped swinging from the trees. Not that swinging from the trees is all that bad, but I still think I'd risk it all for the chance to head out into the final frontier. ;)