PDA

View Full Version : Here is an article from CNN and the Associated Press

Rob_G
2002-Sep-07, 09:33 PM
All in all, I liked this article, but where the heck did the 'comet' comment come from? It seems like the reporter is saying that an astronomer called the object a comet...and if so, can we revoke the astronomer's license? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif But, my assumption is that the reporter thinks that the terms 'comet' and 'meteor' are interchangeable, and the astronomer said 'meteor'.

==================================

Flash, booms over Australia puzzle space experts

September 6, 2002 Posted: 11:02 AM EDT (1502 GMT)

ADELAIDE, Australia (AP) -- Astronomers on Friday were investigating reports from southern Australia of a bright blue flash and loud booms. One said it probably was a comet, while another suggested it was debris from a space mission.

Dozens of people along Fleurieu Peninsula, about 100 kilometers (60 miles) south of Adelaide, said they say the flash about 6 p.m. (0830 GMT) Thursday.

The witnesses said the light was followed by a smoke trail and two loud booms that shook the ground.

Astronomer Bryan Boyle said Friday it was probably a meteor breaking up, and probably came within 30 kilometers (20 miles) of hitting the ground.

But Colin Norris, director of Australian International UFO Research center, said its color and course suggested it was more likely debris from a space mission re-entering the atmosphere.

Astronomers were expected to begin a more detailed investigation of the incident, including a possible search for material that might have hit the ground.

overrated
2002-Sep-07, 10:39 PM
My guess? The astronomer described it as having a tail like a comet or something like that, and the reporter misconstrued it. Or the reporter just screwed up. It happens.

Kaptain K
2002-Sep-08, 12:26 PM
Also consider that a small comet could be thought of as an ice meteor. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

n810
2002-Sep-08, 05:05 PM
hmm... maybe it was the mysterious planet x... hehe