PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: New Camera Catches a Near Earth ...

Fraser
2003-Jul-17, 07:38 AM
SUMMARY: Even though it's still in its initial commissioning trials, NASA's Quasar Equatorial Survey (or Quest) camera system attached to the 1.2 metre Oschin telescope on Palomar Mountain has already bagged an asteroid. The 250-metre near-Earth object (NEO) 2003 NL7 was discovered on the evening of July 8 by the Quest system, and then later confirmed by several other observatories. Once Quest is fully operational, it should be 3 to 4 times better than the older equipment it replaced.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Jacob Moriarty
2003-Jul-17, 01:09 PM
Hi, my names Jacob Moriarty.

what exactly was the NEO that the new telescope found? I live in Aus, Nsw, Sydney Metropolitan area, in the suburb of St Clair, near Penrith, and I can honestly right now see a very steady red dot just above the moon. I tried taking a picture with my digital camera, but the moon was always too bright to show up the red dot.

it's in the eastern sky from my house, and it's kewl yet.. at the same time, spooky ofcourse. could it also be a planet? my thoughts are that it could be a new object, possibly a meteor, but i'm a virgin to all this astronomy stuff, so i might simply be looking at Mars.

anyway, what was the NEO?

Josh
2003-Jul-17, 01:28 PM
So I rush outside with my telescope hoping to see the dawn of a new era ... aliens coming to our blue planet ...

Yes, that perfect sphere just above the moon be Mars. Very beautiful!
I'm going out for more!

Mars is looking a lot brighter than it has in the past because it's the closest it's been in 60 thousand years or so. So ... See it in a sky near you!