PDA

View Full Version : Over the rainbow?

ToSeek
2002-Sep-08, 04:07 AM
Any idea what's going on in this image? (http://www.agpix.com/view_caption.php?image_id=16081)

I could understand that you might be able to look down on a rainbow if you were in an airplane and there was a rainstorm in sunlight beneath you. But it doesn't appear to be raining here.

And why does it appear to be an inside-out rainbow? It's YG BIV RO instead of ROY G. BIV.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ToSeek on 2002-09-08 00:09 ]</font>

Chip
2002-Sep-08, 04:30 AM
Who's ROY G. BIV? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
But seriously, isn't the surface of the ocean acting here like a prism, bending light into different directions at differnt points along the expanse of ocean surface, making a sheen of colors?

Notice that the clouds are uneffected by the colors.

Could this be a subtle effect that has been enhanced in the darkroom, or in a computer? It is also similar to something I've seen on a small scale when a thin film of oil is floating on a puddle of water. From the right angle, there is a similar vivid color prism effect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chip on 2002-09-08 03:22 ]</font>

MongotheGreat
2002-Sep-08, 05:13 AM
Looks fake to me.

John Kierein
2002-Sep-08, 03:13 PM
Probably part of an arc of a "glory".
http://www.polarization.com/rainbow/rainbow2.html

SpacedOut
2002-Sep-08, 03:35 PM
Doesn't look like a partial arc of a "glory" to me. Definitely a reflection off the surface of the water - note the shadows of the clouds. As to color order - you've got me.

RMallon
2002-Sep-08, 04:55 PM
I'll put my money on it just being a normal photographic reaction between perhaps, a poloarizing filter on the camera lens and the tint on the airplane window.

When I'm motorcycling with a full face shield in place and wearing polarized sunglasses, one can sometimes get a similar weird result. It's nothing too special.
But, then again......

ToSeek
2002-Sep-08, 05:03 PM
On 2002-09-08 12:55, RMallon wrote:
I'll put my money on it just being a normal photographic reaction between perhaps, a poloarizing filter on the camera lens and the tint on the airplane window.

If the effect overlaid the clouds, I'd go with that, but it doesn't. The notion that it has something to do with the ocean surface sounds best to me right now, from the look of the photo.

Kaptain K
2002-Sep-08, 05:24 PM
On 2002-09-08 13:03, ToSeek wrote:

On 2002-09-08 12:55, RMallon wrote:

If the effect overlaid the clouds, I'd go with that, but it doesn't. The notion that it has something to do with the ocean surface sounds best to me right now, from the look of the photo.

How about a polarizing filter plus the polarizing effect of reflection off of the water?

MongotheGreat
2002-Sep-08, 05:27 PM
Plus, remember that light from clouds is not polarized, due to scattering, while the light from the water would still be polarized.
Mongo

RMallon
2002-Sep-08, 06:14 PM
How about a polarizing filter plus the polarizing effect of reflection off of the water?

On 2002-09-08 13:27, MongotheGreat wrote:
Plus, remember that light from clouds is not polarized, due to scattering, while the light from the water would still be polarized.
Mongo

Got this sucker nailed. Next?