PDA

View Full Version : For us beginners

stephanie_dukie
2003-Jul-18, 03:09 PM
Hi everyone,

This is more for the people who know little about astronomy, but eager to learn.

I went to one of the links provided by a poster here, and i stumbled onto a help page that tells us newbies the 10 best SUMMER features in the sky. It also offers info on the milky way and what it actually looks like. As far as the info about when and where to look for it, I have not yet seen a definitive answer. This site says summer also, and speaks of a north/northeast view i believe.

Pretty cool sight for info none the less. Here it is:

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/summer_sky...y_030718-1.html (http://www.space.com/spacewatch/summer_sky_030718-1.html)

Fraser
2003-Jul-18, 03:33 PM
I'll jump in and mention an article I recently included in Universe Today called: Firstlight: Introduction to Stargazing (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/astronomy_introduction.html)

stephanie_dukie
2003-Jul-18, 10:44 PM
Thank You Fraser! I had forgotten about that article and it holds just as much info as the website I pasted.

Gotta favor though.

Since you probably could get right to the articles quicker then me, is there any other info for the VERY NEWBIES like me that you could also post quickly? I know you are very very busy and PLEASE dont feel obligated, I would completly understand. Its just easier for you to get me to the few articles I may need to read as opposed to reading the more in depth articles also which some i dont quite understand yet.

I only ask because I am getting a bit confused with ALL of the info I am reading. Sometimes one can get to much info, and im becoming a bit flustered. If I can see planets with a tele or binoc. that would be my first interest and thats what info I would want to read right about now.

Or if I am at the wrong type of forum IE: this forum is for more experienced astronomers, is there one for us less educated?

I call myself ignorant but thats a good thing. Ignorance can usually be fixed, stupidity is forever!

Fraser
2003-Jul-18, 11:08 PM
I think you're making this more complex than it has to be. :-)

Where do you live? I'll put you in touch with your local astronomical society or nearby observatory.

stephanie_dukie
2003-Jul-19, 09:23 PM
Well thank you sir, but thats ok. I did the google search you recommended and came up with a few.

And yes, I probably am making this harder then it has to be, welcome to my world. Im starting at the ground floor and I want to be say mid level, that is just not going to happen that way.

I just have to go with the flow and enjoy it for what it is and what it gives me!

bud camp
2003-Jul-20, 04:45 PM
As far as finding the milky way, if you have a dark clear sky, all you have to do is look up. Its that big white cloud going across the sky. If you look at it with binoculars you will see it is stars not a cloud.

Also looking toward the southeast in early evenings, scan with binoculars and you will see a whole bunch of star clusters and nebula.

Early in the morning about 4:00 AM there are the seven sisters (and the Andromeda galaxy about east-north-east.

If you just scan the sky with binoculars, you will find all kinds of interesting things up there. Once you hav seen them, you can look them up to find out what it was you have been looking at rather than trying to find things to search for.

Fraser
2003-Jul-20, 05:13 PM
You can see most of the planets with your naked eye. Right now Mars is super bright in the late evening. You can't really see any features on the planets with binoculars but almost any small telescope will show a disk. You can see the moons of Jupiter and bands across the planet. You can see the rings of Saturn, and you can probably see the polar caps on Mars.